Most fuel efficient automakers

FUTURE_OF_GM

The compact category has the Honda Civic Hybrid at the top of the ratings, with its 40/45 mpg, followed by Toyota's Corolla and its 28/37 mpg rating.

A little bigger vehicle will still take you further, notably if it's the industry leading Toyota Prius. In second place is the Nissan Versa and its 26/31 mpg rating.

The Versa is larger than the Civic sedan? :huh:

Where's the raw data? Can't seem to find any CAFE fleet data broken out by "make." I'd need to see the source before any credence is given to this AOL article.

In any case, I did a quick count of only 3 vehicle classes where Chevrolet beats Toyota: Malibu 4-cyl over Camry 4-cyl, Silverado over Tundra and Tahoe over Sequoia. In all three cases the Chevys have only a 1 or 2 mpg advantage, and the P/Us and SUVs outsell the Toyota versions by a margin of 3 or 4 times.

Meanwhile, Toyota sells 4 volume automatic models that get 26 or better combined mpg (Prius 46, Yaris 31, Corolla 29, Matrix 27) while Chevy has only 1 (Aveo at 26). Then, Chevy has to add in guzzlers that Toyota has no direct competition for: Corvette, Avalanche, Express vans.

How is this possible?

Edited by buyacargetacheck

Where's the raw data? Can't seem to find any CAFE fleet data broken out by "make." I'd need to see the source before any credence is given to this AOL article.

In any case, I did a quick count of only 3 vehicle classes where Chevrolet beats Toyota: Malibu 4-cyl over Camry 4-cyl, Silverado over Tundra and Tahoe over Sequoia. In all three cases the Chevys have only a 1 or 2 mpg advantage, and the P/Us and SUVs outsell the Toyota versions by a margin of 3 or 4 times.

Meanwhile, Toyota sells 4 volume automatic models that get 26 or better combined mpg (Prius 46, Yaris 31, Corolla 29, Matrix 27) while Chevy has only 1 (Aveo at 26). Then, Chevy has to add in guzzlers that Toyota has no direct competition for: Corvette, Avalanche, Express vans.

How is this possible?

you don't know how many arguments I've gotten into on other boards with people saying that the 4 door Tundra is a true competitor for the Avalanche. They're better off claiming it isn't. You simply cannot beat the Avalanche for overall utility.