Cobalt Advertising Fuel Economy

buyacargetacheck

I just saw a commercial for the Cobalt touting its "better than Honda Civic" fuel economy. This is misleading. They're taking the EPA rating of the manual Civic at 34 highway mpg and comparing it the the Cobalt XFE's 36 highway mpg while ignoring that the city rating is better for the Civic 26 vs 25 and the mix is the same at 29. Further, the automatic Civic has the same exact EPA ratings as the Cobalt XFE manual, a low-take option in the real world.

Does "truth in advertising" mean anything to these ad people? GM, stop taking shortcuts and produce a higher mileage car. OR, compare what you've got to something that has less economy, e.g., the Focus (by one mpg).

I just saw a commercial for the Cobalt touting its "better than Honda Civic" fuel economy. This is misleading. They're taking the EPA rating of the manual Civic at 34 highway mpg and comparing it the the Cobalt XFE's 36 highway mpg while ignoring that the city rating is better for the Civic 26 vs 25 and the mix is the same at 29. Further, the automatic Civic has the same exact EPA ratings as the Cobalt XFE manual, a low-take option in the real world.

Does "truth in advertising" mean anything to these ad people? GM, stop taking shortcuts and produce a higher mileage car. OR, compare what you've got to something that has less economy, e.g., the Focus (by one mpg).

Did they say "manual transmission Cobalt" or make a blanket statement that the Cobalt gets better mileage? Regardless of combined rating, it is common place for manufacturers to tout the highway rating, even if the city rating is lower. At least I know Toyota and Hyundai/Kia do it.

Yes there is a text disclaimer saying that it is the manual-equipped XFE. I don't see any problem with advertising this way, as it is commonplace for a manufacturer to take one small metric and make a big deal out of it. Now all we need is a better Cobalt.

Did they say "manual transmission Cobalt" or make a blanket statement that the Cobalt gets better mileage? Regardless of combined rating, it is common place for manufacturers to tout the highway rating, even if the city rating is lower. At least I know Toyota and Hyundai/Kia do it.

Camry sales are down 2.7% DSR in a BEST MONTH EVAR for beige 4-cylinder automatic Camrys.

Who cares...

The asians companies don't play fair, why should we?

You're right, Toyota doesn't play fair. And nobody has had a harder time dealing with it than Honda, opposed by government backed Toyota since day one.

Well, all I know is that the 2009 Cobalt and G5 with the manual will get and estimated 37mpg on the highway. That's also with different gears again, 3.63. Final numbers are still pending. That's impressive.

A new, more efficient version of the 2.2L Ecotec engine delivers a dramatic increase in fuel economy. It uses variable valve timing to optimize fuel economy at all speeds, for an EPA-estimated highway rating of 37 mpg, along with a 7-hp (3 kW) increase in power.

Well, all I know is that the 2009 Cobalt and G5 with the manual will get and estimated 37mpg on the highway. That's also with different gears again, 3.63. Final numbers are still pending. That's impressive.

I wonder about city mileage... traditionally large engines like the Cobalt's (or even the Corvette's) can get surprisingly good highway fuel economy with a low final drive ratio. It's city driving where small engines usually have a greater advantage.

I wonder about city mileage... traditionally large engines like the Cobalt's (or even the Corvette's) can get surprisingly good highway fuel economy with a low final drive ratio. It's city driving where small engines usually have a greater advantage.

Yeah, if you drive like my Great Aunt. If you drive like a normal person, a small engine is going to croak (or have to be wound up to 5,500 rpm to get any juice). This is why Civics, etc. look great on paper. They perform wonderfully on a dyno. :lol:

• 1 month later...