kiaborrego1fu7.jpg

The Kia Borrego finally made its official debut at the Detroit auto show this week, following a number of teasers and leaks late last year. The seven-passenger SUV features the company's first ever V8 engine — the same V8 that powers the 2009 Genesis from parent company Hyundai.

Borrego’s body-on-frame construction and muscular exterior sit on fully independent front and rear suspension matched with coil-over springs. Built on a platform with a wheelbase of 114.0 inches, an overall length of 192.1 inches and overall width of 75.4 inches, Borrego would fall into the midsize SUV category in U.S. terms.

Two of the three Genesis engines are offered with the Borrego. However, it's not known whether they will be de-tuned for the Borrego. Kia has not disclosed final horsepower figures. In the Genesis, the entry-level 3.8-liter DOHC V6 delivers an estimated 290 horsepower and 264 pound-feet of torque. The Genesis' Tau V8, meanwhile, produces 368 horsepower. In the Borrego, that figure might be lowered to around 300 horsepower.

Inside, Borrego features an in-dash, six-disc CD changer powered by a 600- watt Infinity audio system. Borrego comes with a sliding second row for easy access to the third row, as well as fold-flat second and third row seats to optimize cargo space.

Safety features include: advanced two-stage airbags, full-length side curtain airbags for all three rows, four-wheel disc brakes with an antilock brake system (ABS), electronic brake distribution (EBD), brake assist system (BAS), electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control (TCS), and a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Borrego also offers downhill assist control (DAC), which keeps the vehicle moving straight and steady down steep grades and helps to keep the wheels from locking, as well as hill assist control (HAC), which helps the driver move up steep inclines without fishtailing or allows the vehicle to stop uphill without sliding backward.

For full article, please see http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-borrego.html

Borrego also offers downhill assist control (DAC), which keeps the vehicle moving straight and steady down steep grades and helps to keep the wheels from locking, as well as hill assist control (HAC), which helps the driver move up steep inclines without fishtailing or allows the vehicle to stop uphill without sliding backward.

I can't help but laugh at that...

The Koreans aren't fu*king around this year are they?

They're catching up at a scary pace.

I get the feeling Hyundai/Kia will be considered part of an Asian 'Big 4' pretty soon, along with the current 'Big 3' (Toyota, Honda, Nissan)..they have made pretty rapid improvements in design and quality.

This brings up the question, who is currently #4 in the US in sales as far as Asian car makers? Subaru?

Edited by moltar

I get the feeling Hyundai/Kia will be considered part of an Asian 'Big 4' pretty soon, along with the current 'Big 3' (Toyota, Honda, Nissan)..they have made pretty rapid improvements in design and quality.

This brings up the question, who is currently #4 in the US in sales as far as Asian car makers? Subaru?

Subaru is the brand to watch, I noticed they finally are picking up in terms of sales, and new customers. The Mazda3 inspired impreza gave them a boost up here in Canada, at least from what I am noticing. They're everywhere! In terms of the asians, I see the Hyundai/Kia the brand to watch out for too.

subaru is not keeping up in styling and neither is kia.

they can't be a player until they can make a vehicle that has style.

mazda and nissan are the only asian makers that consistently put out vehicles that register stylistically

That's according to you, but according to the increasing number of buyers of these vehicles, the styling is working. (SUBARU & KIA)

Edited by Polish_Kris

Top 20:

1. GM - 3,789,901

2. Toyota - 2,620,825

3. Ford - 2,386,957

4. Chrysler - 2.076,650

5. Honda - 1,551,542

6. Nissan - 1,068,238

7. Hyundai - 467,009

8. Volkswagen - 452,330

9. Kia - 305,473

10. Mazda - 296,110

11. BMW - 293,795

12. Mercedes-Benz - 253,316

13. Subaru - 187,206

14. Mitsubishi - 128,993

15. Volvo - 106,363

16. Suzuki - 101,884

17. Audi - 93,508

18. Land Rover - 49,550

19. Mini - 42,045

20. Porsche - 34,693

2007 Auto Sales - Wall Street Journal

Edited by blackviper8891

but according to the increasing number of buyers of these vehicles, the lack of styling is working. (SUBARU & KIA)

fixed

Just because something is selling well does not automatically mean has style. The Camry is the king of sales, and the king of plain jane appliance non-style.

Wow I never knew Suzuki had so many sales here. I thought they were pretty much a dead brand.

But anyway, what's up with every manufacturer nowadays making the rear windows slope upwards? It makes the car look top heavy. It would look so much better with just a flat rear window!

Wow...Hyundai and Kia are both in the top 10 in sales..never would have thought that. Probably are regional variations..I see a lot of more Subuarus (mostly wagons) around here than Hyundai or Kia products.