Peugeot Announce The New Peugeot Partner and Partner Tepee

thegriffon

Peugeot Announce The New Peugeot Partner and Partner Tepee

Automobiles Peugeot

Launched in 1996, the Peugeot Partner has been extremely successful in both its small van and MPV versions, with regular year on year increases in global sales over the past eleven years. Capitalizing on the success of the first generation Peugeot Partner, Peugeot will launch a new version of the Partner in the second part of 2008.

With the launch of the new Partner, the first generation Partner model will, however, continue to be sold in certain countries with a reduced range of models and will be known as the Partner Origin.

icon11.gif Full release and preview photos at AutoReport

New Citroën Berlingo

Automobiles Citroën

With the Berlingo, Citroën created the leisure activity vehicle segment and launched a new concept in compact vans. Its innovative qualities appealed to private and professional customers alike, making it a huge commercial success. It has been the clear leader in the leisure activity vehicle segment in Europe (17 countries) since 2003. Worldwide, Citroën has sold more than 1,760,000 Berlingos (cars and LCVs) since launch in 1996.

The New Berlingo will go on sale in second-half 2008. It will be sold alongside the current Berlingo model, which will be available in some countries as an entry-level offering called “Berlingo First”. This strategy will enable the Marque to better meet the highly diverse needs of its customers.

icon11.gif Full release and preview photos at AutoReport

P.S. This is the type of vehicle I think GM should evolve the HHR toward, complementing the more conventional Gamma-based compact crossovers.

I would argue that the HHR already is this type of vehicle, but in an American frame of mind. Not quite as utilitarian (except in panel form), but I suspect the next generation will offer more in that respect for buyers who need it.

The Mazda 5 is the only thing on our market to more closely hit the target these two French haulers occupy, but it's being pitched (and rightly so) as a sporty minivan rather than a utility vehicle.

You're forgetting the Kia Rondo, which far outsells the Mazda5, but neither of those vehicles is that close. These are compact panel trucks designed primarily as commercial vehicles, including the capacity to haul standardized pallets (which the HHR—still too much like a Cobalt wagon inside—cannot do), and with a cargo capacity of roughly 116.5 cu-ft with 1-row of seats (more than double an HHR and 60% more than a Rondo or Mazda5—an Uplander Cargo is only 137 cu-ft). The Mazda5 and Rondo are dedicated minivans with the flexibility for occasional carrying of bulky household items—European LCVs like the Partner/Berlingo are dedicated commercial vehicles with a sideline as a cross between SUV and minivan (more the former than the latter). A very few of the larger models offer 3-row seating.

I am only saying that the HHR should become even more like the European-style compact LCVs—a proper flat load floor in Panel models for better utility and higher capacity, and a folding second row like the lambda's in the passenger version. GM already builds the Combo for Opel—how hard would it be to design a retro Chevy version of the next gen to replace the HHR?

You're forgetting the Kia Rondo, which far outsells the Mazda5, but neither of those vehicles is that close. These are compact panel trucks designed primarily as commercial vehicles, including the capacity to haul standardized pallets (which the HHR—still too much like a Cobalt wagon inside—cannot do), and with a cargo capacity of roughly 116.5 cu-ft with 1-row of seats (more than double an HHR and 60% more than a Rondo or Mazda5—an Uplander Cargo is only 137 cu-ft). The Mazda5 and Rondo are dedicated minivans with the flexibility for occasional carrying of bulky household items—European LCVs like the Partner/Berlingo are dedicated commercial vehicles with a sideline as a cross between SUV and minivan (more the former than the latter). A very few of the larger models offer 3-row seating.

I am only saying that the HHR should become even more like the European-style compact LCVs—a proper flat load floor in Panel models for better utility and higher capacity, and a folding second row like the lambda's in the passenger version. GM already builds the Combo for Opel—how hard would it be to design a retro Chevy version of the next gen to replace the HHR?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you. The HHR should be designed more in the utility mold next time around - flat floor, flexible seating, etc. What I don't want is for it just to become a small van - it needs to retain its "American" feel.

On the other hand, why hasn't GMC brought over the Vivaro yet? (Maybe call it the Rally?)

Edited by Duncan

• 3 months later...
Guest aatbloke

I would imagine that PSA with its Berlingo/Partner and Renault-Nissan with its Kangoo/Kubistar will be watching the North American market to see how well Ford's entry there with the Transit Connect will pan out. If successful, there will no doubt be more competitors wanting their stake of market share from such a novel vehicle type in that market. Opel's Combo (pictured) is ripe for redevelopment on the latest Corsa platform, which may be a sensible entry into the US as a small Saturn delivery van.

opel_combo_vs_3.jpg