Monte Carlo Replacement Idea

Bimmer325

I posted the following photoshop rendering on the old C&G and recieved surprisingly positive feedback in doing so. My idea was simple. Instead of applying a mildly revised '06 Impala front-end and slightly reworked rear to the current Monte Carlo, I suggested that Chevy simply replace the model altogether with a coupe variant of the Impala. The Monte Carlo name would be dropped in favor of 'Impala Coupe' badging.

Styling aside, the current MC is little more than an Impala coupe anyway. In essence, the resulting model would not only be a more attractive car from a styling standpoint, but further damage to the Monte Carlo moniker would be limited until a more suitable replacement is developed. In my opinion, the redesigned Impala looks great in coupe form. Agree? Disagree? What's your take?

My Chop: Proposed 2006 Chevrolet Impala Coupe
Posted Image

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Posted Image

It would have been a good idea and even calling it Monte Carlo would have been OK. I suggested a long time ago making the Monte a Impala coupe just for sales reasons. Right now, I say they might as well keep it as is. The new Monte isn't going to hurt the name anymore, and they can just look at moving it to the RWD platform when it's done if they really think they need a coupe in the segment. If the Impala moves to RWD then they could just make a coupe variant of it then or make a Chevelle or Monte off the same platform.

That's a cool Impala coupe, but I think the Monte Carlo should not be merely a coupe version of any sedan, it should stand alone (have its own exterior and interior styling). The '95-'99 was dangerously close to being a Lumina coupe, must we go there again?

That's a cool Impala coupe, but I think the Monte Carlo should not be merely a coupe version of any sedan, it should stand alone (have its own exterior and interior styling).  The '95-'99 was dangerously close to being a Lumina coupe, must we go there again?

[post="29737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As I previously mentioned in Ted's thread, the 95-99 Monte is a Lumina coupe. They shared everything from engine to chassis and interior. They just brought the name back for some reason.

Remember the Lumina LTZ? It was essentially a Lumina with an upgraded powertrain and the Monte front and back. Edited by ToniCipriani

They just brought the name back for some reason.

And that reason is NASCAR.

*sighs*

I think that impala coupe would be more of a winner than what Chevrolet is claiming is the monte carlo for '06.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

The '95-'99 was dangerously close to being a Lumina coupe, must we go there again?

[post="29737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We already have... :(

Impala coupe? sure (make it a RWD hardtop please)

And that reason is NASCAR.

*sighs*

[post="29918"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

More and more I %#$@*& hate Nascar. It gets more lame every year...

key word: STOCK car :rolleyes: plus ovals suck. Edited by Sixty8panther

As I previously mentioned in Ted's thread, the 95-99 Monte is a Lumina coupe. They shared everything from engine to chassis and interior. They just brought the name back for some reason.

Remember the Lumina LTZ? It was essentially a Lumina with an upgraded powertrain and the Monte front and back.

[post="29859"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry but being as design work was done on the coupe first and it was planned to be a Monte Carlo from the start. The 95-99 Lumina was a 4 door Monte Carlo, NOT the other way around.

Even though the 1995-99 Monte Carlo lacked the spirit or recognition (or anything memorable overall), it was previewed by the stylish 1991 concept car, seen around 1993 in a Motor Trend issue. I think a 2-door notchback coupe in the next-generation Malibu should replace the Monte Carlo as it is. Camaro should rejoin the lineup, but that would be a different story altogether. I think Monte Carlo should be switched back to a 5-6-passenger, mid-size, rear-drive 2-door hardtop coupe, complete with knights badges, exterior styling/design from all 1970-88 models. Based it on a BOF-M architecture should one become available. Otherwise (sigh....), put it on Zeta VE.

...Based it on a BOF-M architecture should one become available...

[post="30215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think that a GMT 355 or 360 based car could do well for police sales and low margin fleet sales. I know everyone will say that the Bel Air concept from 02 looked like a 4x4 BUT if small changes were made to the frame it could ride as low or lower than the last B-bodies and I think that a 5.3 dod and 4 speed auto would be perfect for police useage.

Even though the 1995-99 Monte Carlo lacked the spirit or recognition (or anything memorable overall),
I think Monte Carlo should be switched back to a 5-6-passenger, mid-size, rear-drive 2-door hardtop coupe, complete with knights badges, exterior styling/design from all 1970-88 models.

*chuckles slightly*

This is about what I've been saying since 1995 ;).

Good to see I'm not the only one after all...he he heh.

The real Monte Carlo died in 1988. These front drive 2 door Lumina/Impala or whatever Chevy wants to call them are pretenders and bear resemblance in name only. The current Monte Carlo is a disgrace with it's heavily de-contented, front drive form with a great V8 engine behind a weak tranny and plain Jane doors that look like someone on the assmebly line forgot to install door moldings, Knights badge and Monte Carlo badges. The interior is equally lackluster with it's rock hard plastic door panals, silly plain looking floor shifter that is so obviously missing the shift indicator and too many carry over parts. If this car is going to succeed it needs a total rethink. With it's huge delay in getting to dealers it's as if Chevy doesn't really care about it either.

The real Monte Carlo died in 1988. These front drive 2 door Lumina/Impala or whatever Chevy wants to call them are pretenders and bear resemblance in name only. The current Monte Carlo is a disgrace with it's heavily de-contented, front drive form with a great V8 engine behind a weak tranny and plain Jane doors that look like someone on the assmebly line forgot to install door moldings, Knights badge and Monte Carlo badges.

Wow. Again, I could've written this ... almost ;).

I think that a GMT 355 or 360 based car could do well for police sales and low margin fleet sales.  I know everyone will say that the Bel Air concept from 02 looked like a 4x4 BUT if small changes were made to the frame it could ride as low or lower than the last B-bodies and I think that a 5.3 dod and 4 speed auto would be perfect for police useage.

[post="30283"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My point exactly!!!!! Thank you! Now it would share as much as possible with other vehicles, and if it had to be modified from a truck (preferably GMT360), make it absolutely as "car-like" as possible. And hydroform those chassis rails! That's the in thing, or was when the 1999 Silverdo/Sierra/etc. came out. If GM did this, they should do whatever possible to save weight but keep it strong, and in the BOF-L (large) architecture case, make sure it can tow 5,000 lbs. (7,000 lbs. for a BOF-X-exclusive to Cadillac, that is).

The real Monte Carlo died in 1988. These front drive 2 door Lumina/Impala or whatever Chevy wants to call them are pretenders and bear resemblance in name only. The current Monte Carlo is a disgrace with it's heavily de-contented, front drive form with a great V8 engine behind a weak tranny and plain Jane doors that look like someone on the assmebly line forgot to install door moldings, Knights badge and Monte Carlo badges. The interior is equally lackluster with it's rock hard plastic door panals, silly plain looking floor shifter that is so obviously missing the shift indicator and too many carry over parts. If this car is going to succeed it needs a total rethink. With it's huge delay in getting to dealers it's as if Chevy doesn't really care about it either.

[post="30608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Monte Carlo 1970- Died 1972

interesting change, what if you pushed the door line back a little ...few inches at most, and it could have a , get this, the rear window could roll down.....any other car that isn't a convert. have that option? yes it'd prolly make replacing a motor for it a huge pain...but i think it would besomething gm could say others aren't doing.

[post="30608"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I feel the same way about the Impala, Monte Carlo (though the V8 SS versions are a step in the right direction), the Malibu, what they did to the Nova in the 80's. They might not be (or have been) bad cars, but they do not deserve their names.

Nice chop Bimmer, I definitely would have preferred seeing that on the road than the current "Monte Carlo". I am not sure why they didn't offer that in the first place :( .

David

I feel the same way about the Impala, Monte Carlo (though the V8 SS versions are a step in the right direction), the Malibu, what they did to the Nova in the 80's. They might not be (or have been) bad cars, but they do not deserve their names.

*raises eyebrow*

Wow....another paragraph that could've been written by me ... good to know I'm not alone :).

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'