Help!

DetroitNut90

I’ve finally made some headway in my car-hunting process. After a lengthy discussion between myself and my dad (which entailed me promising to seek employment), he told me I could go ahead and send an email to the seller of a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS. The link to the listing is here. My question is, are there any major defects in the 1998 model year Intrigue? I know it’s got the 3.8L V6/4T60E (or some variant of that transmission) combo, which I’ve heard only good things about their longevity. Dad seems to think that because it has over 100K miles on it, that it’ll be needing a new transmission and/or a head gasket job soon if it already hasn’t, which I think sounds a bit outlandish. But what do I know, this’ll be my first car, and mechanicals have never been my forte.

My main concern is about buying something that turns out to be a money pit. Once I buy the car, I won’t have much to be tossing around to fix anything wrong with it. Any insights are appreciated, and, if I may be so bold as to ask, if anyone has a Carfax-like account, could I trouble you to run the VIN for me?

Danke danke, y’all.

A 3800 has a very small chance of being a money pit... They are very reliable and there are many 3800 cars on this board alone with more than 200K miles with their original headgaskets and trannys. The one thing you need to watch is the upper intake manifold gasket... When it comes to the W-Bodies, the Intrigue was the most well executed IMO... That Intrigue would serve you VERY well.

The full Carfax report is here (the person who took out the ad must have paid for a free Carfax report for people who saw the ads)

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?report=...D7ACA6E09CB5DFC

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Well, I went to go check the car out today, and I'll just say that I was thoroughly disappointed. The exterior was great, no issues there. Interior was dirty, but together, and I can always clean that myself. What killed me (and it) was turning the car on. 5 seconds of idling revealed a very strong smell of burning oil and a solid-on SES light. The engine also seemed to be running weakly. I got to take it on a trip around the block where the guy lived, and noticed that once I put the car into drive and pulled away, the SES light started flashing. It had good power, and the brakes were good, but giving it gas caused the car to shudder like mad, and the tachometer was very notchy (i.e., it didn't swing towards the redline in a fluid motion). Both turn signals were bad as well. Dad said that he saw oil spots under the car.

Would anyone here with W-body/3800 experience know what may be wrong? Dad seems to think that it's either a burnt valve, or it's got a terrible missfire going on. It's such a nice car, I don't want to completely disqualify it yet...but I'm really thinking about starting my search over.

Any insights? Thanks again.

Pass. Even the best engines die when they arent taken care of. The dirty interior and the misfiring engine point to the car NOT being taken care of.