Bob Lutz Tours the Malibu

Flybrian

I still don't care for the rear and plain slab sides of this car. The front end is pretty good and the interior LOOKS nice enough. It's too bad they didn't follow through with some of the missing items of this platform: bodyside moldings, rear seat armrests, overhead assist grips, optional Nav screen, more interesting paint colors on the low end models such as red which isn't even available on the LS or LT1, and better V6 gas mileage. I predict in a showdown with the new Accord, Altima, Camry, Sonota, Fusion, Aura and Avenger that it will finish 2nd or 3rd from last with the Avenger dead last. This car does nothing really well and IMO doesn't bring anything new to the table on the styling front.

I still don't care for the rear and plain slab sides of this car. The front end is pretty good and the interior LOOKS nice enough. It's too bad they didn't follow through with some of the missing items of this platform: bodyside moldings, rear seat armrests, overhead assist grips, optional Nav screen, more interesting paint colors on the low end models such as red which isn't even available on the LS or LT1, and better V6 gas mileage. I predict in a showdown with the new Accord, Altima, Camry, Sonota, Fusion, Aura and Avenger that it will finish 2nd or 3rd from last with the Avenger dead last. This car does nothing really well and IMO doesn't bring anything new to the table on the styling front.

What do any of the alternatives do really well other than wear an H or T badge?

So true, it's like he pointed out all of the things that he doesn't like in the bu, which btw aren't flaws at all, and comes out sounding like there's nothing wrong with the competition. I'm sure if he was as good at nitpicking the new Accord like the 'bu he would probably have more complaints for it.

Calling a spade a spade...this is a warmed over Aura---which is really just a great Epsilon (circa 2005/6). Good, but not great circa 2006/07. This thing has to compete into the 11/12 model years...

Many of the products that Lutz has massaged have come out good to great...this one is merely good, at best. There is a general failure to realize that you've got to give people reasons to get OUT of the Camcordima rut. I don't believe that this Malibu will do it.

It's especially frustrating when the GMT900's, CTS, Lambdas & Zetas appear to be great...the excellence is trapped in the organization somewhere...it just needs to be consistently there, especially in a segment as big as mid-sized family sedans!

Calling a spade a spade...this is a warmed over Aura---which is really just a great Epsilon (circa 2005/6). Good, but not great circa 2006/07. This thing has to compete into the 11/12 model years...

Many of the products that Lutz has massaged have come out good to great...this one is merely good, at best. There is a general failure to realize that you've got to give people reasons to get OUT of the Camcordima rut. I don't believe that this Malibu will do it.

It's especially frustrating when the GMT900's, CTS, Lambdas & Zetas appear to be great...the excellence is trapped in the organization somewhere...it just needs to be consistently there, especially in a segment as big as mid-sized family sedans!

It kinda reminds me of the Lucerne, in that GM did what they could with existing hardware.

It's interesting how the development of the Malibu went a full circle, from the first (Epsilon) one in '04; to the G6, which improved on the Malibu's quality and marked the beginning of using the Maxx wheelbase on a sedan; to the AURA, which added a competitive powertrain and award-winning styling; and finally this new Malibu, which adds to the AURA a more extensive dealer network and greater brand recognition.

Edited by empowah

So true, it's like he pointed out all of the things that he doesn't like in the bu, which btw aren't flaws at all, and comes out sounding like there's nothing wrong with the competition. I'm sure if he was as good at nitpicking the new Accord like the 'bu he would probably have more complaints for it.

So your telling me that a narrower body than most of it's competition, that can't support a true NAV screen, lack of rear seat center armrest(along with other Epsilons), no overhead assist grips(along with other Epsions), dropping of the Maxx bodystyle, no bodyside protection, been there done that styling, a confusing model lineup with so many restrictions on option availability, those goofy taillights, base prices that totally conflict with the upper scale Saturn Aura, no 6 speed for the 4 cylinders until a later date aren't flaws. And regarding the new Accord, I closely checked one of those out and found far fewer flaws other than odd rear end styling and lack of body protection. The base Accord had a center rear seat armrest and overhead assist grips. The Accord had a much larger interior than any Epsilon I have ever sat in. The Accord had more upscale interior and even a glovebox light which all Epsilons lack. The Accord has a 5 speed automatic and a 5 speed manual, which the new Malibu lacks. The Accord is EPA rated at 19/29 with it's more powerful V6 vs the Malibus embarrassing 17/26 rating. The Accord is offered with a true NAV screen where the Malibu is not. The Accord offers a coupe bodystyle where the Malibu does not. The Accord also had auto up/down power windows which no Epsilon offers.

Oh and by the way, I don't care for the new Accord and would never buy one but am not blinded by the new Malibus flaws to give it credit where it's due. Every mid size entry is going to have flaws but aside from the Accord are all older designs and the Malibu is a new 2008 model so there is no excuse to come to the table lacking all these things.

Well I can tell you 10 things Chevys own Impala does better than the all new 2008 Malibu

1) Greater width for more interior room

2) Flip and fold rear seat with a rear center armrest

3) 18.6 cu. ft. trunk

4) 3500 and 3900 V6 gas mileage of 18/29 and 18/28 vs 17/26

5) V8 SS model

6) Available rear spoiler

7) STD overhead assist grips for back seat and passenger

8) Available 6 passenger seating configuration

9) Red paint color is offered on all models, not just the most expensive version and option configuration is more simplified compared to the Malibu with far less restrictions

10) Bodyside moldings are available on all versions of Impala but not Malibu

Edited by ponchoman49

Well I can tell you 10 things Chevys own Impala does better than the all new 2008 Malibu

1) Greater width for more interior room

2) Flip and fold rear seat with a rear center armrest

3) 18.6 cu. ft. trunk

4) 3500 and 3900 V6 gas mileage of 18/29 and 18/28 vs 17/26

5) V8 SS model

6) Available rear spoiler

7) STD overhead assist grips for back seat and passenger

8) Available 6 passenger seating configuration

9) Red paint color is offered on all models, not just the most expensive version and option configuration is more simplified compared to the Malibu with far less restrictions

10) Bodyside moldings are available on all versions of Impala but not Malibu

OmG Teh PushrodS! Impala is teh Suxors [/every Impala review EVAR]

I don't disagree with you on your points though. I would buy an Impala over a Malibu myself <I really like the SS in black>. But the Malibu addresses most of the concerns of the H or T wearing crowd. I think there is room for both the current Impala and new Malibu to sell well.