A scandal at Fiat

Guest Josh

The Fiat empire has suffered a series of humiliations in recent years as the company has struggled to compete in the super-competitive automotive world. The empire, which includes Ferrari, is currently headed by former Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo, who was called by the Agnelli Family in after the death of Umberto Agnelli in May last year. The original plan was for the empire to come under the control of Umberto's nephew Giovanni Alberto (the son of Gianni Agnelli - the man who led the firm from 1966 until his death in January 2004) but he died of a rare cancer in 1997. Agnelli's son Edoardo never seemed likely to take the role and committed suicide five years ago by jumping off a motorway viaduct. This left the family with no-one to run the empire and so Montezemolo was appointed and the process began to groom John and Lapo Elkann (the sons of Agnelli's daughter Margherita). The more dashing of the two was Lapo, vice-president of the company, in charge of brand management. He has been in the spotlight recently as Fiat tries to rebuild its image and increase its sales. Alas, the 28-year-old was rushed to hospital earlier this week after an apparent drug overdose in an apartment owned by a 50-year-old transsexual in the back streets of Turin.

So that's why GM backed off.
Wow, that whole company is messed up.  They need to hire some people who aren't constantly screwing up their lives.

[post="28166"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, they backed off because of something that hadn't happened yet. Are you really this stupid?

Yeah, they backed off because of something that hadn't happened yet. Are you really this stupid?

[post="28356"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please do not resort to personal attacks and name calling.

Sad really that someone so young with so much to live for would waste it by doing a drug overdose. They just do not know how hard most people have to work to have so little compared to someone being born with a gold spoon in their mouth.

[post="28356"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow. Welcome to the board. I can see you're all full of happy thoughts and bubble gum smiles.

It's called sarcasm. Of course I know GM didn't know. Before questioning my intelligence, maybe you should question your own.

Oh, and if you are looking for me to insult you back, don’t get your hopes up. I’m not going to stoop to your level.

Posted Image

ANSA Italian News story

Elkann heads for drug rehab centre
Agnelli heir leaves Turin hospital and flies to Arizona
(ANSA) - Turin, October 18 - Agnelli heir and Fiat executive Lapo Elkann on Tuesday left the hospital where he was treated for a drug overdose and headed for a drug rehabilitation centre in the United States .

The 28-year-old Elkann left Turin's Mauriziano hospital at about 7 am and immediately flew to Switzerland, from where he was expected to take another flight to Tucson, Arizona .

"After what has happened I need time to think," he said in a statement released by his lawyer. "In order to ensure I get as much peace as possible, I'm going to spend some time abroad before going back to work." Elkann, the grandson of the late Fiat patriarch Gianni Agnelli, thanked doctors and staff at the Turin hospital before his departure .

He gave no indication of how long he expected to stay in the American rehab clinic and asked the media to "respect my need for silence" .

Elkann was questioned by Turin prosecutors on Monday in connection with the drug overdose which landed him in hospital. Investigators are keen to find out who gave him the drugs .

The Fiat executive reportedly confirmed to prosecutors that he had bought a first batch of cocaine from street dealers in central Turin before going to the apartment of a transsexual prostitute .

He was apparently unable to give investigators more than a vague description of the dealers .

According to the most credited version of events, Elkann later asked a friend of his host to go and buy some more cocaine. He allegedly overdosed because one of the last doses he took was of heroin, not cocaine as he imagined .

Prosecutors released no details of Monday's hour-long interview, which took place in the Mauriziano hospital to which Elkann was taken by ambulance on October 10 .

Investigative sources said Elkann was questioned as a witness, not a suspect. Possession of small amounts of cocaine for personal use is not illegal in Italy .

Elkann's host and two other transsexuals who joined them during the night, were questioned last week. They reportedly said that only he had taken drugs and that he had brought them with him .

The Fiat manager, who has until now been in charge of the group's brand promotion, told relatives who visited him on Friday he was "eager" to return to work .

Since taking an executive position in the company, Elkann has successfully launched new sportswear and leatherware lines with the Fiat logo .

Commenting on his latest experience, he is widely reported to have said: "I've really made a mess of things. I've been stupid."

This guy knows how to party like a rock star! I hope the other two transvestite hookers were under 50!

• 3 months later...