2008 Corvette to get 6.2L "LS3"?

Northstar

Link (See 1st and 2nd post)

It sounds as though the Corvette will be getting a 6.2L V8 "LS3" with ~450HP in '08 and that the Z06 will be getting a supercharged version dubbed LS9 with over 600HP.

It seems weird to me that they would drop the LS7 already as it must have been pretty expensive to develop, so maybe the Z06 keeps the LS7 and the "Blue Devil" gets the "LS9".

WOW.... in either case that's good news. 2008 Camaro SS wiht LS3 power? Yes PLEASE!!!

my grandpa (82 years old) will be placing his order for an 06 convert in the next week or so. He is getting the entire 3lt preferred equipment group package, the polished wheels, the power folding top, and the 6sp paddle shifter auto tranny. :)

IF you really want to think big try this. The reason the Corvette gets a supercharged LS7/LS9 is because they are going to release a 427 Camaro at about the same time. How nice would that be? I figure the LS7 is a very expensive piece of work. So when you consider you can order one from GM Performance, or so I have heard, the more you make the lower the cost, so why not make it a top of the line Camaro. There was more volume in F-body sales anyways than in the Vette, even as a special edition.

IF you really want to think big try this.  The reason the Corvette gets a supercharged LS7/LS9 is because they are going to release a 427 Camaro at about the same time. How nice would that be?  I figure the LS7 is a very expensive piece of work.  So when you consider you can order one from GM Performance, or so I have heard, the more you make the lower the cost, so why not make it a top of the line Camaro.  There was more volume in F-body sales anyways than in the Vette, even as a special edition.

[post="2049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the engine is hand assembled in a plant with limited capacity, so I dont think that still holds true in this case.

I don't think the LS7 will go into the Camaro, but it seems like the LS3 would be a good bet to go into a Camaro. The LS7 costs like $12k I believe, so it would be rather expensive to put in a Camaro, and as CaddyXLR-V, there is limited capacity. I think the 6.2L may be getting supercharged rather than the LS7 because the LS7's cylinder walls are so thin.

WOW.... in either case that's good news.

2008 Camaro SS wiht LS3 power? Yes PLEASE!!!

[post="1959"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Traditionally, the Camaro lagged behind the top engine of the Vette, no? I would think that the Camaro gets the LS2 while the Vette gets bumped to the LS3. That would maintain the horsepower differentiation that's been talked about in other threads/forums...

Traditionally, the Camaro lagged behind the top engine of the Vette, no?  I would think that the Camaro gets the LS2 while the Vette gets bumped to the LS3.  That would maintain the horsepower differentiation that's been talked about in other threads/forums...

[post="2130"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was just dreaming. Although a super low production $45,000 Camaro ZL1 wiht the LS7 is not unrealistic. If the ZL1 on ebay is worth $840,000 then why not $45 or 50K for a new one wiht superior performance? Esp. if they only made 69 copies of them just like in 1969. Edited by Sixty8panther

Damn, so the Corvette line's going to have 3 engines. Damn! The way I see it, the base Camaro gets the 3.9, SS gets the 5.3, base 'Vette/Z28/base GTO get the 6.0, Z06/GTO Judge (please!) get the 7.0, and Blue Devil gets SC 6.2... But I'm probably so way totally off lol

Thats sweet more power and cooler cars from the genaral and prices for the same speed of ferraris at 1/1000 of the cost but gas being 2.65 (well in michiagan at least) but they will soon rise. my point is a 6.0 6.2 and 7.0L will not be green shall we say. and with more ppl going tto compact fuelsipping cars how will the general try to sell these fuel chuging cars. I know gas realy doesnt bother me cuz i only get 16 city and 23 hiway but other ecotistic ppl wont want these engines? but i cant wait for 450 hp stock corvette (woot woot) as said before what will happen to 6.0L and wut happened to the5.7L??

Thats sweet more power and cooler cars from the genaral and prices for the same speed of ferraris at 1/1000 of the cost but gas being 2.65 (well in michiagan at least) but they will soon rise. my point is a 6.0 6.2 and 7.0L will not be green shall we say. and with more ppl going tto compact fuelsipping cars how will the general try to sell these fuel chuging cars. I know gas realy doesnt bother me cuz i only get 16 city and 23 hiway but  other ecotistic ppl wont want these engines?

but i cant wait for 450 hp stock corvette (woot woot)

as said before what will happen to 6.0L and wut happened to the5.7L??

[post="3169"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i think it would be better off to keep the ls2 for base vettes, people who just want a vette. ls3 for those who want something with a little more power. and of course the killer LS7/9 for those who would like a turn key race car. if i had the cash im in for the ls7/9 cars but thats wishful thinking and that dosent happen.

i think it would be better off to keep the ls2 for base vettes, people who just want a vette. ls3 for those who want something with a  little more power. and of course the killer LS7/9 for those who would like a turn key race car. if i had the cash im in for the ls7/9 cars but thats wishful thinking and that dosent happen.

[post="4543"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe they will get DOD or something else.