Stupid LaCrosse Super Ad

The O.C.

Okay.....most of you know I'm not a W-body fan.....but I've said repeatedly that I think the styling upgrades on the '08 LaCrosse Super are quite attractive and would most likely make it the GM model I'd buy if locked into one of the three W-bodies....

Have any of you seen the print ad in this month's magazines?

It talks all about the new Super....the styling changes.....the chassis improvements.....and even hints that it might be "quicker than a Grand National" (which it's not....Impala SS went 0-60 in 5.7 secs compared to contemporary GN road tests of the times that had the GN just under 5.0sec 0-60.)

But NO WHERE in the entire ad does it mention that the Super has a V8.....or that it has over 300hp....in fact, no mention of what the powertrain is.....AT ALL....

Now.....WHY would Buick put out an ad like that? It's the V8 that MAKES the Super.....

Okay.....most of you know I'm not a W-body fan.....but I've said repeatedly that I think the styling upgrades on the '08 LaCrosse Super are quite attractive and would most likely make it the GM model I'd buy if locked into one of the three W-bodies....

Have any of you seen the print ad in this month's magazines?

It talks all about the new Super....the styling changes.....the chassis improvements.....and even hints that it might be "quicker than a Grand National" (which it's not....Impala SS went 0-60 in 5.7 secs compared to contemporary GN road tests of the times that had the GN just under 5.0sec 0-60.)

But NO WHERE in the entire ad does it mention that the Super has a V8.....or that it has over 300hp....in fact, no mention of what the powertrain is.....AT ALL....

Now.....WHY would Buick put out an ad like that? It's the V8 that MAKES the Super.....

Mag/Issue avail.?

Haven't seen...

Mag/Issue avail.?

Haven't seen...

For sure in the October issue of Automobile (the one that JUST came out.)

GAWD...it's a nice-looking ad....and the car looks good pictured in it. It's a "pseudo-interview" with John Heinricy, GM Performance Division "Executive."

In fact, here's some more stupid comments by John......

"What kind of statement does the LaCrosse Super make?" and John says..."Under the skin, it's got a little muscle."

WTF...."a little muscle?" It's got friggin 300hp...!

Also, when asked what to expect when one gets inside the Super? He says...."Refined performance. Don't expect a race car."

I kinda understand that it's not a "race car" but his comments seem like damning the Super with faint praise! He'd be better off trying to position the Super as a modern interpretation maybe of the GN....saying it's a premium luxury car with a mean streak.....or something like that....

Awful ad......

I'm sure I'll get burned for saying this, but a 5.3-liter V-8 might seem a bit unnecessary to some when today's 3.X-liter V-6s are producing 300+ horsepower while using less gas. Just a thought.

I'm sure I'll get burned for saying this, but a 5.3-liter V-8 might seem a bit unnecessary to some when today's 3.X-liter V-6s are producing 300+ horsepower while using less gas. Just a thought.

I agree, I believe they are not touting the big V-8 because of high gas prices.

I agree, I believe they are not touting the big V-8 because of high gas prices.

It barely does worse than the 3.6L (which still blows my mind as the 3800 gets better fuel economy). It's only off 1mpg city and highway.

Engine - City - Highway

3800 - 17 - 28

3.6 - 17 - 25

5.3 - 16 - 24

It barely does worse than the 3.6L (which still blows my mind as the 3800 gets better fuel economy). It's only off 1mpg city and highway.

Engine - City - Highway

3800 - 17 - 28

3.6 - 17 - 25

5.3 - 16 - 24

I'm very disappointed with the mileage I get with my 3.6L in my CTS.......over 21,000 miles, I've averaged between 17-19mpg (with the 6-speed manual) and that's with a mix of around town, rush-hour driving, but a fair amount of steady-state, cruise-controlled 70-80mph.

The only time I've ever gotten over 20mpg was on a straight freeway cruise to Phoenix....where I averaged 22-23mpg (but at an admittedly elevated cruise of 80-90mph.)

The only time I've ever gotten over 20mpg was on a straight freeway cruise to Phoenix....where I averaged 22-23mpg (but at an admittedly elevated cruise of 80-90mph.)

Is there a difference in gearing between the manual and the auto? 80mph cruise nets me 25 or 26... 70 nets me 28.

Engine - City - Highway

3800 - 17 - 28

3.6 - 17 - 25

5.3 - 16 - 24

the 3800 has a decently lower axle ratio... 3.05 the 3.6L has a 3.69 and super has just under a 3 according to buick.com

it's sad that the 3.6L has that flatened torque curve from 2000rpm up to ...4.5k? just a slightly castrated engine. :(

Is there a difference in gearing between the manual and the auto? 80mph cruise nets me 25 or 26... 70 nets me 28.

It's GOTTA BE.....that's all I can figure.

I don't beat the car up......while I wouldn't say I'm a "mild" driver.....a good portion of my commute every day is about 25 miles with the cruise set on 70-75.....yet I still only get between 17-19.

I drive this car like every other car I've had. Here's what I've averaged with a few previous cars.....all overall averages...mixed driving, etc....commuting, etc....

'07 CTS 3.6L 6-speed - 17-19

'06 Corvette - 18-22mpg

'03 Mazda6 V6/5-speed - 20-24mpg

'07 Audi A4 2.0T/6-speed - 25-28mpg (!...really...)

It's not a deal-breaker for me.....I love the car....and still think the 3.6L is a fine engine. It's just not what I was expecting mileage-wise. I was going to get a v-Series but took the 3.6L Sport because I wanted close to a v-series feel but with better fuel mileage.

Now that I look back, I should have gotten the v-Series. I bet it wouldn't have done that much worse in mileage.......