Which do you like better or think you like better?

trinacriabob

Do you like Northern Calif or Southern Calif more?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Northern Calif or Southern Calif more?

• Northern Calif - includes San Fran area - have been
    • Southern Calif - includes LA and San Diego areas - have been
    • Equally - have been
    • Northern Calif - includes San Fran area - have NOT been
    • Southern Calif - includes LA and San Diego areas - have NOT been
    • Other - clarify/explain

I was in Northern Calif. over the past weekend. I was in San Francisco one day. It is truly a beautiful city, if not one of the most beautiful in the world. One day and I start to feel claustrophobic and, after being in Europe, it's less compact than those cities, with the ability to pull over to a meter or parking spot being quite common, other than in the Financial District or by Fisherman's Wharf.

I think I would tolerate the suburbs (notably Walnut Creek) better. Still expensive, the prices have come down some as it had become truly absurd and stuff wasn't selling that easily. Berkeley absolutely makes my hair stand on its ends. :scared:Any liberal college town full of hanger-on-ers seems to do that to me.

But then, I thought, I'm a product of LA and I think I would tolerate that much better. Yeah, SF is more photogenic and the coastal areas are more wooded and picturesque. Flip side: those same coastal areas make for $h!ty beaches compared to those in LA which are usable and once you get a small ways inland, the suburbs are just as parched and dry-looking as those in Southern California. So, it would be So. Cal. for me.

Which area do you like better, even if you haven't explored both fully?

Edited by trinacriabob

I've lived in L.A., Bay Area, Sac, and Central Valley, and my preference is anywhere without traffic. California has something for everybody, from backwood hick town to cosmopolitan metropolis. I would prefer to live in a blue area, but that is where the bad traffic is. San Diego is nice, but the traffic is getting bad. I think San Luis Obispo is ideal because it's centrally located and has great weather.

I have never been, but I would imagine I would prefer North California, based on my orientation, plus deserts are not entirely my tastes.

However, I will be in Vegas and L.A. in a few weeks, so I will be able to make a more informed decision after that point, fer sure. 8)

I like both, have spent a fair bit of time in both on vacation and work, have worked in Northern California for a few months a few years ago, and went to my previous company's offices in Oakland a few times in '05-06.

I love So Cal for the car culture, the beaches, the weather, the scenery. I also like Nor Cal for the scenery (redwood forests, Monterey, the wine country).

As far as the big cities go, I like LA and San Fran..both have interesting qualities, I like how SF is more compact and not as spread out.

But careerwise, no question, Nor Cal. The Silicon Valley (San Jose/Sunnyvale/Mountain View/Palo Alto/etc) is still the center of the universe for the software industry, so if I moved to Ca, I'd have to go to the Bay Area....and I have friends in Nor Cal also.

The cost of living relative to Denver is probably the main reason I haven't moved to Ca yet..

San Diego's where it's at. I was very tempted to tear up my return ticket when I visited there a couple of years ago.

Too Much Traffic, Too many people, too expensive to live there.

I love the San Diego area and Napa Valley, but can't afford to live there. My sister and brother-in-law live in San Jose, but have to rent because they can't afford to buy. He's a sometimes employed software engineer (programmer).

My niece is in real estate in Murietta, out east from Orange county and is close to losing her home. Her husband is also a sometimes programmer.

As much as I hate our midwest winters, which aren't so bad thanks to Al Gore, I think I'll stay right here!

Have not seen much beyond L.A. but I'm 99% sure the more north you go the more I would like it. :)

I lived in So.Cal for 5 years. And I loved it. Beaches, mountains, deserts, rich people, poor people, STARS!, golf, offroading, nightlife and more ritzy cars than you can shake a stick at. Where else can you see an 88 tercel, a Porsche, and a 57 lowrider go down the same street, back to back and nobody cares?

So.Cal. has the ultimate mix of everything.

What's up north? Trees, SF, wine country and computer chips? Yeah... thats fun.

Berkeley absolutely makes my hair stand on its ends. :scared:Any liberal college town full of hanger-on-ers seems to do that to me.

Yours truly had a partial scholarship from that University. In a hindsight I am glad that I did not go there. I have not visited it. I honestly do not care too much for Cali other than Death Valley. :smilewide:

North - hands down.

Real trees and an environment I could deal with.

I've been to both and driven down the coast highway from the bay area to LA. I did like San Luis Obispo, but not enough to want to live there.

I think LA is a pit and have no interest in socal in general.

Muir Wood north of SF, is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. I love Redwoods, and would like to see them again.

I'll probably have to visit LA again (like it or not) as my sister lives there. Otherwise, I doubt that I'd ever set foot there again.

I've never been to California, but I'd have to say SoCal would be more my thing. I love the desert and rugged, arid areas...especially after having seen Greece and how similar it is in look and feel to SoCal. Los Angeles is just a cool city and a lot of my favorite bands started up there. I like the car culture, the way you can see the San Bernardino Mountains rising up far in the distance from Santa Monica, and LA easily has one of the best skylines on the West Coast (something you couldn't say about it 30 years ago). Plus, San Diego isn't too far away.

One of my friends in college lives in Moreno Valley and they have huge mountains rising up only a few blocks away from their house.

I'd probably get annoyed by the flakes that live there though.

But I'd never live in California because the cost of living is too high and it seems like the state tries to regulate everything. If I lived out west, it'd probably be Arizona or Colorado for me.