HUMMER H4 Greenlighted

Flybrian

Hummer H4 no longer just a concept vehicle
Posted Image
Conceptual Rendering by NOS2006
Link to Original Article @ HUMMERGUY

Hummer dealers from around the nation recently gathered in California to attend the annual Hummer All-Dealer meeting. The meeting showcases upcoming products such as the Hummer H3 Alpha and the upgraded 2008 Hummer H2, as well longer term concepts like the H3T and HX. HX is the name Hummer has given to the most heavily rumored concept vehicle which will be designed to compete with the Jeep Wrangler – some are calling it the H4. Whatever name you want to call it, it’s coming. Martin Walsh, Hummer’s General Manager, used the meeting to officially announce that the HX will be available at dealerships in 2010 as a 2011 model, and is no longer just a concept vehicle. Walsh went one step further, by opening a curtain revealing the HX to the lucky few at the meeting. GM reps were on hand to make sure attendees wouldn’t even remove cell phones, which may have picture capabilities, from their pocket. However, we’ve got a pretty good description.

The first impression of the two door and four seating HX is unmistakably a Hummer. This is mainly due to the design of the front, incorporating similar grille, headlights, and bumper designs from previous Hummer models. The high metal to glass ratio, and design of the doors also kept Hummer’s iconic design. Overall, the vehicle was much shorter in overall height and wheelbase and appeared more car-like than its larger counterparts. The model shown had very large, aggressive tires, which may or may not be standard (most likely not). Some of the most unique abilities of the Hummer HX are the removable panels. The two doors are completely removable, as well are panels on the roof. The model on display had everything intact, so it would be hard to tell what kind of open air feeling the removable panels give you – and whether it feels more like a convertible or a T-top. Also removable are the fender flares, which can be taken off to lessen the likelihood of damage during off-roading. The rear of the HX will have an optional slant back, similar to the original Humvee option. “The vehicle almost looked like an enclosed dune buggy with big aggressive tires and exposed shocks,” said one attendee, “And it didn’t have a cheap, flimsy-looking exterior like a Wrangler.”

The Hummer HX will be the 5th vehicle in Hummer’s lineup, since the fourth vehicle, the H3T will be making its debut at dealerships in the Summer of 08. Unfortunately, we have another three years to see the Hummer HX (H4?) produced.

About damn time they made a announcement on this instead of leaving us scratching our heads for another 3 years. This is good news for me, becuase by the time it comes out I might be able to afford one...lol.

So wait...are HX and H4 2 separate models? As long as its truck-based, more than welcome...

This is great news... BUT, again with the waiting game from GM. Maybe at this point I might want to get rid of the SKY and get into the HX/H4. I've recently been looking at the new Wrangler 2-doors, so with this news I'll hold off. If the HX/H4 is as good looking as stated here, maybe GM will finally offer me what I've always wanted from Jeep. Of course after the HX/H4 is shown, I'll probably start babbling about a pickup truck version (a'la Jeep JT Concept) :P

That's not an official picture, a render by NOS2006 (sorry for stealing your thunder, NOS). If I remember correctly, it was a photochop based off of a jeep concept car.

Jeep Hurricane, to be exact:

Posted Image

Here's two pictures of the Hummer O2 concept, with a sloped back (similar to the HUMVEE's sloped back design):

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm praying that this wasn't the inspiration behind the HX/H4!!!

And don't forget about the concept Hummer in the picture at this link:

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachme...mp;d=1165389800

I wonder what platform they are basing this HX on? im kind of guessing we will see a second "reskinned" GMC or Chevrolet version. this would help to reduce costs and get production numbers higher. and im also guessing that it will be powered by the H3's current inline 5 cylinder engine.