Does anyone know how to access files without windows?

Intrepidation

If you start the computer, then press and hold the F8 key during the boot sequence, you'll get a menu that will allow you to go to a command prompt.

Are you familiar with DOS internal and external commands by chance?

Not exactly...it's been many years since I used DOS

Edit:

Nothing happens when I held F8...it starts to varify DMI Pool Data...

Then it goes to this:

Adapter_Init: Phy not initiated by SMU

Adapter_Init: Calling PhyInit

Then it just stays...

I can reformat the computer if I have to...but I really need access to the files(some of which are for my school stuff).

Edited by Dodgefan

Make a DOS boot disk.

CREATING A WINDOWS XP BOOT DISK

Create MS-DOS bootable diskette

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

1. Place diskette in the computer.

2. Open My Computer, right click the A: drive and click Format.

3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

4. Click Start

Boot the old comp with that in the floppy drive.

You should be able to transfer files to the floppy disk, hope you don't have anything big!

just use the copy command... cd into the directory and then "copy <files> a:"

Remember as well, DOS is not good with file or folder names longer than 8 characters, so "My Documents" gets truncated to "My Doc~1"

Good luck...

Make a DOS boot disk.

Boot the old comp with that in the floppy drive.

You should be able to transfer files to the floppy disk, hope you don't have anything big!

just use the copy command... cd into the directory and then "copy <files> a:"

Remember as well, DOS is not good with file or folder names longer than 8 characters, so "My Documents" gets truncated to "My Doc~1"

Good luck...

But...but...I have no floppy drive in that comp... :(

Sounds like a hardware failure in an adaptor chipset. If re-installing windows doesn't solve the problem, there may be no solution but to replace the MB (I assume you have onboard graphics and sound adaptor chipsets) or installing the HD in a new computer. You could use an external HD housing to connect it to your old computer, but if it is a MB failure you may as well spend the money on a new MB or PC.

Edited by thegriffon

When you do get it sorted out, I would suggest you get an external hard drive ( they are relatively cheap) big enough to back up your whole C: Drive, that way you can just unplug the external drive and plug it into another computer and get to your files.

I backup to my external drive everyday at 4 AM, it runs automatically and has saved my ass on more than one occasion.