Interesting Saab Pic

Oracle of Delphi

I think I saw that pic before. Apparently someone chopped an Aero-X and a Solstice/Sky into this thing. I'd rather see a small FWD roadster (let's call it the Sonnet) based on the Astra platform.

Kappa? Poor roof design that makes the trunk useless (especially with the GM parts hardtop) and a pain to open/close, and various interior tidbits that let the cars lose to the MX-5 as far as everyday liveability. Believe me, I love the two kappas, and almost had a Solstice, but for as many concessions I'd have to make for this as a daily driver, it lost out. If I wasn't a died in the wool GM fan, I would have gone to Mazda since the MX-5 has a real trunk and a little more useable.

I'm looking at this as the devil's advocate - to make GM better, and GM needs to get a second-gen Kappa out soon to fix at least the trunk/top issue to match the cars up to other cars in the class. Yes, the GXP and RL have no real comp for Mazda, but don't think MAZDASPEED won't find it's way. And if Dodge survives, the Demon may around in a few years too.

I just think that GM has to sort this stuff out before it brand-izes more of the same.

Well.. Kudos to GM for even considering it. For a domestic automaker, it was an extremely risky(or stupid, depending on your opinion of the solstice and sky) to devote time and money to two niche vehicles. It's easy to see that when designing the vehicles, they were focusing more on style over substance and that clearly worked for them especially Saturn which had a ton of new products to back it up.

When the next generation comes out, they'll have no excuse when it comes to trunk space and drop-top tech and overall practicality. They have a perfect vehicle to help lead them in the right direction: The Corvette. So it's not like a cheap, class-leading, entry-level roadster is unattainable.

On the saab chop, I think a roadster is the last thing Saab needs at the moment and I doubt GM would actually consider sending this into production until they boost the brands volume to a decent level first.

Edited by Cadillacfan