Anal retentive habits

trinacriabob

I'm driving home after lunch and realize that my odometer is about to roll over to an even number (you know, ending at ,000)...but it wasn't quite there. So, I didn't pull into the driveway and instead drove around the neighborhood a little more to make it get to that "magic number." I find that I've done this more than once, among other weird quirks.

Do you do this kind of crap with your car? Or, do you have other weird quirks you care to share?

I have no quirks. I am perfect. I am also modest and honest.

"Magic numbers" don't faze me, but I will pull back out like that if a good song comes on the radio as I'm pulling in the driveway.

Hmmm...some quirks of mine:

My pants pocket contents must be as follows

left-front pocket - car keys, house/office keys, and pocket knife

right-front pocket: USB thumb drives, cell phone, Chap-stick

right-rear pocket: wallet

When I'm home, all these things must be located on top of my desk. If anything is out of place at any time, I will go crazy.

With my car, I'm extremely anal-retentive. To shut the trunk, I reach underneath the door, grab the emerency pull handle, and swing it down. This way I don't have to touch the paint. Before figuring out how to do this, I used to place my thumb on the lock cylinder.

When I shut the car off, I have to have my radio set to XM 1 preset 1.

I like to have my left and right windows open the same amount.

I have to pull into a spot absolutely perfectly straight. If it's not parallel with the parking line, I pull it out and try again. of course, noone ever notices me do this because I park so far away.

For me, while in the car:The wipers have be seated when I turn the car off (the concealed wipers on the Venture have to be all the way down)

water may not touch the leather seats

eating is allowed only when the car is already dirty inside

I control the radio

doors are locked when the vehicle is not in use

The DIC must be set to the compass/outside temp display at all times (unless clearing fuel/speed data after a fill-up)

I turn the volume on the radio down when merging onto an expressway or flooring it to take in the engine note

My biggest non-vehicluar quirk is during the school day, I'll check my backpack several times during the course of the day to make sure my iPod is in there, or my pocket if I'm wearing cargo pants.

Myself... All four windows must be rolled down the same amount. The passenger seat must be at the same position as mine. On the interstate, whilst changing lanes, I will only gently press the turn signal stalk for one flash. Pennies must go in the driver side dash compartment while larger change goes in my ash tray. There cannot be any visibly garbage, it must atleast be hidden. Receipts and other random junk go in the console bin while condoms and other stuff I want hidden, like garbage, must go in the door bins. :P

Other than things with my car... Not really. I generally have a spot for my keys and my wallet, but it's usually just so they're easy to find when I need them. Okay, I might have one thing... I can only sleep nude. I feel so uncomfortable trying to sleep with closes on. :D

"Magic numbers" don't faze me, but I will pull back out like that if a good song comes on the radio as I'm pulling in the driveway.

Hmmm...some quirks of mine:

My pants pocket contents must be as follows

left-front pocket - car keys, house/office keys, and pocket knife

right-front pocket: USB thumb drives, cell phone, Chap-stick

right-rear pocket: wallet

I have quirks like that too with my pockets. My wallet is always in my right front pocket, along with car/apartment keys, and the cell phone is always in the left front. Now, if I have to bring my digital camera and MP3 player with, both of those go in the left pocket (I never put my keys in the same pocket as any electronic device after my old digital camera's display was cracked)...and the cell phone goes wherever it fits. But if I just have my wallet and keys with, the wallet goes in the right and the keys in the left so it balances the weight a little. My wallet is ALWAYS in the right pocket...that's a given. I never put anything in my back pockets.

I like to walk in a straight line...it gets on my nerve when people weave all over the sidewalk (especially here in Italy...left or right...pick a side!)

That's about all I can think of...I guess I don't have many weird habits.

If I hand wash and wax my car it will be perfect and spotless before I finally finish. One time this resulted in a four hour car wash. Thats why I normally just take the car to a car wash these days and I touch up the few spots they miss.

I also like the front or rear windows to be done the same amount.

My only other real quirks are how I dress myself and what I keep in my pockets. I always pick out what I will wear for work the next day the night before. I arrange them very specifically so i don't have to think about the order I put stuff on.

Once I am dressed my watch goes on my left arm as I am right handed, then pen goes in my shirt pocket. Wallet goes in back left keys and gum go in front right and cell goes in front left.

I am most anal about people messing around with files on my PCs. If you move a file and I catc you your just flat out dead.

Car-related

I don't open the passenger-side window unless the driver-side is closed.

I always have a heavy-metal CD in the glovebox. I may have a Jewel CD playing, but there's always a metal CD standing by.

I always wash my car at the same place, next to a local supermarket: it can be dirty as hell when I'm travelling, but I'll come back home and wash it there.

EDIT - forgot an important one: no smoking allowed in my car.

Other

pocket contents have to be:

left front pocket - car and house keys.

right front pocket - tissue/handkerchief to blow my nose (very helpful now that both Spring and allergies have arrived).

back right pocket - mobile phone (wallet is carried).

Edited by ZL-1

Some of my bad and anal retentive habits

My car keys are always in the left pocket of my jeans, my wallet in my back, right pocket.

Anytime I walk out the door I put a hat on, even if I only go to get the mail/newspaper.

I always ride with a window down a little bit, even if its just a slight crack, regardless of the temperature.

No one touches my radio unless I say you can or you ask.

No one outside of family drives my truck.

Do NOT complain about or insult my driving, I will pull over and throw you out, it does not matter where we are.

If you make a mess in my truck you WILL clean it, if you make a big enough mess you will wash the whole truck and I will watch you to make sure you do it right.

If you smoke you must put the window down further than a slight crack otherwise I will put it down to where I think it should be and lock it

I could be here all day writing about this but I'll stop right there.

My car keys are always in the left pocket of my jeans, my wallet in my back, right pocket.

Anytime I walk out the door I put a hat on, even if I only go to get the mail/newspaper.

I always ride with a window down a little bit, even if its just a slight crack, regardless of the temperature.

No one touches my radio unless I say you can or you ask.

No one outside of family drives my truck.

Do NOT complain about or insult my driving, I will pull over and throw you out, it does not matter where we are.

If you make a mess in my truck you WILL clean it, if you make a big enough mess you will wash the whole truck and I will watch you to make sure you do it right.

If you smoke you must put the window down further than a slight crack otherwise I will put it down to where I think it should be and lock it

I could be here all day writing about this but I'll stop right there.

i have a very similar routine. keys and wallet are hard to keep track of. In my teen years, i lost one or the another too much to the point where forever after that point, the items HAVE TO be in a certain location.

do BM's at almost exactly the same time everyday count as an anal retentive habit? This has been going on lately. We're talking within like 15 minutes of a set time, each and every night.

Edited by regfootball

Thank you for letting me know where your keys and wallet are, it will come in handy when I mug you at NASCAR in Richmond. :smilewide:

You wear a hat because you're bald or cold? :spin:

The window is down because you're afraid you'll smother? :yes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I am pretty specific about which pockets things go in as well.

Right pocket. Wallet,Change.

Left pocket. Keys, Flashlight.

Do not smoke in my cars.

I control the radio. You may ask for a station change but it is my say as to if it gets done.

I control the climate. I will not roast in my car just so somebody else can roll down the window just to look cool when it is 90 degrees outside.

i have a very similar routine. keys and wallet are hard to keep track of. In my teen years, i lost one or the another too much to the point where forever after that point, the items HAVE TO be in a certain location.

do BM's at almost exactly the same time everyday count as an anal retentive habit? This has been going on lately. We're talking within like 15 minutes of a set time, each and every night.

Good Lord, TMI!!!!!! :smilewide:

Thank you for letting me know where your keys and wallet are, it will come in handy when I mug you at NASCAR in Richmond. :smilewide:

You wear a hat because you're bald or cold? :spin:

The window is down because you're afraid you'll smother? :yes:

Well I am losing my hair, but thats a different song altogether.

I am a smoker too, I do not like a huge cloud of smoke hanging in my truck, so yes I guess you could say I dont want to smother.

I control the climate. I will not roast in my car just so somebody else can roll down the window just to look cool when it is 90 degrees outside.

Same for me. I keep it a cooler inside than most people I know. I don't want to sweat, I want to be comfortable

I saw the odometer in my Jeep roll over to 77777 about a month ago.. that was pretty cool. I also remember when it hit 11111, 22222, 33333, etc. I actually noted the date, time, and location of those milestones on a piece of paper I keep in the glovebox...I have no idea why, though.

I've misplaced keys, wallet, cellphone so many times over the years, that I'm fanatical about keeping them in the same place at home, every day, then leaving for work with them in the same places---wallet and change, left front pocket, cellphone & keys, right front pocket, company badge clip on the right front pants pocket, sunglasses case in my jacket or hand, toque on my head (I wear a hat a lot since with my head shaved I get cold easily).