Oh Drew...

Flybrian

I thought these had digital dashes?

Digital dashes were offered from 1988-93. In 1995, the Cutty recieved its upgraded interior, but it was the last year of the 'vert.

Posted Image

I love how clean that ride is, but would prefer a red 1994 with the older style dash and 3.1 V6.

That 3.4 is the worst GM motor since the 4/6/8. My dad's Monte Carlo Z34 self destructed by 65,000 miles. If it had the 3.1, I'd think about it.

That's what happens when you don't change timing belts. It really was not a bad engine. I had a 1994 version of this car with the 3.4. Mine lasted at least as far as 160k miles before I traded it for the CTS.

Also, $h!t can happen with any engine, even with proper maintenance. My father's Suburban (350) had a clump of oil block the oil pressure sensor so everything looked fine while the oil pump died and the engine proceeded to run for (estimated) 100 km with no oil. Open up the oil pan and there are all these tiny pieces of metal... damn!

So yeah, if you can kill a GM 350 in under 200,000 km even with proper maintenance, anything can happen to any engine.

Believe me, if it was a timing belt, it would have been easy. That car had problems from day one, and probably the worst GM car my family ever owned. And I believe that engine has has a very high rate of failure and more problems than average.

That said, the CS convertibles have always been a fav of mine, especially with the six "headlights". That was the look that I loved on my 92 Grand Prix SE. Loved those mini sealed beams.

Believe me, if it was a timing belt, it would have been easy. That car had problems from day one, and probably the worst GM car my family ever owned. And I believe that engine has has a very high rate of failure and more problems than average.

That said, the CS convertibles have always been a fav of mine, especially with the six "headlights". That was the look that I loved on my 92 Grand Prix SE. Loved those mini sealed beams.

admittedly it was physically too big to the engine bay, but that's what happens with DOHC. :AH-HA_wink:

Digital dashes were offered from 1988-93. In 1995, the Cutty recieved its upgraded interior, but it was the last year of the 'vert.

yes... all 88-91 models had digital dashes. For 92-93 digital dashes only came in the "S" models, as the digital rallye cluster was replaced with the analog guages for '92 and became standard on the SL, International Series and convertible. Edited by AM6_Cutlass

I loved the look of the mini-quads too, and they were pretty bright. Replacing them sucked at $35 a piece though.

I miss my Cutlass... :(

As a current platform, I'm not a fan of W-bodies. As a former owner of a Cutlass Supreme Convertible, I can appreciate the cars for what they were when they were built. In the case of the Cutlass Convert.... it was the largest, most powerful, most usable every day convertible in it's day. When the top was up, the trunk space rivaled that of some modern sedans. It could seat 4 very comfortably. With the DOHC 3.4, it could eat the V6 mustangs of the day and keep up with the V8s.