Computer problems are fun...

daves87rs

Well, maybe it's trying to tell me to stop post whoring... :scratchchin:

My motherboard took a major you-know-what a few days ago..taking ALL my info with it....

They couldn't even save the pictures I downloaded the day before..

(you might have got a see a pic of me. lol. :thumbsup: )

Looks up to about 3 weeks...I plan to pop on...just once in while for the next few weeks....

It just sucks...didn't even see it coming.....

sounds like your powersupply pooped out some extreme voltages.....

some of you compents might have survived... i know on hard drives, if it's recent, you could buy the same model and remove the bottom board (on the bad one) and replace it with a new one, you might still have all that info on there. best case scenario.

if that's the case you might beable to sell parts if they work and buy the new ones you need.

sounds like your powersupply pooped out some extreme voltages.....

some of you compents might have survived... i know on hard drives, if it's recent, you could buy the same model and remove the bottom board (on the bad one) and replace it with a new one, you might still have all that info on there. best case scenario.

if that's the case you might beable to sell parts if they work and buy the new ones you need.

Nope..it wiped ou quite a bit.....

It sounds like it might be almost a brand new computer by the time that I get it back....

At least it's not going to cost a crazy amount of money...

If the power supply overloaded that could have severely damaged your system. My overloaded but luckily it has over voltage protection which keeps the damage to itself and not the other parts.

Is this a brand computer like an HP or is it a custom one with more easily interchangeable parts? You should consider ABIT, ASUS or Foxconn...I'ave had experience with ABIT and Foxonn and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I haven't tried an ASUS motherboard but they make good products and the mobos get good reviews.

Does it not recognize the HDD at all or is the data missing/corrupt?

i guess this should've been asked in my post...lol

cause if it's just the data, it sounds like it had to either torch an internal part of the HHD or he had a virus before it happened......?

You should think about backing up your C drive to an external hard drive. I back up my whole C drive to my external H drive, twice a week. That way you could just move your external hard drive to another computer and still have your important. pics, files & folders. External drives are relatively cheap these days, where almost anyone could purchase one. Just something to think about. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

You should think about backing up your C drive to an external hard drive. I back up my whole C drive to my external H drive, twice a week. That way you could just move your external hard drive to another computer and still have your important. pics, files & folders. External drives are relatively cheap these days, where almost anyone could purchase one. Just something to think about. :smilewide:

Yeah, yeah.

I had plans to but one in a few weeks just for that...

The pics I had on it were going to disk the next day....

Talk about timing, huh? :scratchchin:

If the power supply overloaded that could have severely damaged your system. My overloaded but luckily it has over voltage protection which keeps the damage to itself and not the other parts.

Is this a brand computer like an HP or is it a custom one with more easily interchangeable parts? You should consider ABIT, ASUS or Foxconn...I'ave had experience with ABIT and Foxonn and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I haven't tried an ASUS motherboard but they make good products and the mobos get good reviews.

I wish it was a custom computer....

It's an emachines, which is supposed to be a temp computer until I either built a custom one, or picked up a dell...

Not fun I must say...

I wish it was a custom computer....

It's an emachines, which is supposed to be a temp computer until I either built a custom one, or picked up a dell...

Not fun I must say...

I haven't heard much good things about emachines...same with Dells...build a custom comp :AH-HA_wink:

I haven't heard much good things about emachines...same with Dells...build a custom comp :AH-HA_wink:

well..... lately more and more upset customers have voiced on blogs, and the like, it's usually the service they get, not the product itself.

with pc prices generally getting lower...i'm not surprised more customers have been having problems, bogged down service, bad teaching for service techs... this is kinda the vibe i get from dell.

i'd be more scared of getting a pc from best buy and using the geeksquad for anything than buying a dell product.

well..... lately more and more upset customers have voiced on blogs, and the like, it's usually the service they get, not the product itself.

with pc prices generally getting lower...i'm not surprised more customers have been having problems, bogged down service, bad teaching for service techs... this is kinda the vibe i get from dell.

i'd be more scared of getting a pc from best buy and using the geeksquad for anything than buying a dell product.

Which is why I build my PCs...So I know exactly what is going into the case, and so if there's a problem, I can fix it. Also, newegg rocks on every level...even returns. Building a PC is cheaper than buying a brand build PC, plus you can make sure you get high quality parts VS whatever they throw in their computers.

And I've used the geeksquad before...Mmm..yeah.

Though they do have some good techs out here...

But also I've noticed the product is getting crappier....with HP/Compaq and emachines being the worst....

Which is why I build my PCs...So I know exactly what is going into the case, and so if there's a problem, I can fix it. Also, newegg rocks on every level...even returns. Building a PC is cheaper than buying a brand build PC, plus you can make sure you get high quality parts VS whatever they throw in their computers.

Newegg?

I've heard of that somewhere before...

http://www.newegg.com

A very popular, low-price, high-satisfaction computer parts retail firm.

I bought my new stuff from them a couple weeks ago. Best price on the net. It arrived last week. I assembled my PC, and the video card turned out to be defective. I sent it back and am currently waiting for them to ship back a replacement.

My only gripe is they're literally at the opposite end of the country, but their typical shipping option is UPS 3-Day, so it's kinda moot.

+1

I just built two office machines. $395 including shipping for each, and that was with a nice 17" Samsung LCD and Logitech keyboard/mouse. Dell's equivalent would be about $620 + shipping (with 15" LCD), and have a slower CPU.

That and my latest personal upgrade just this week, Athlon X2 3600+ Brisbane core and G.Skill DDR2-800 2gb. Should overclock to 2.8ghz at least!

Newegg's prices, service, and website, are all top notch, which is why I've been using them for over 5 years (my first PC was a Duron 800mhz with Geforce 2 ti, man it was fast!).

Newegg is inhumanly fast with their shipping and they are very good about replacements. I've never had anything to complain about them...their selection is awesome, the prices are unbeatable, the reviews are very helpful and as I said, they ship with incredible speed. Both of my computer are from newegg. I'll never go back to buying retail.

Once you know, you newegg.

Edited by Dodgefan

I will add that - while the standard shipping method is UPS 3-Day - if the price difference is great enough between something bought at Newegg and something bought at a retail store (and it usually is), I'd go with faster shipping.

I hate the waiting game.

Edited by aaaantoine

+1

I just built two office machines. $395 including shipping for each, and that was with a nice 17" Samsung LCD and Logitech keyboard/mouse. Dell's equivalent would be about $620 + shipping (with 15" LCD), and have a slower CPU.

That and my latest personal upgrade just this week, Athlon X2 3600+ Brisbane core and G.Skill DDR2-800 2gb. Should overclock to 2.8ghz at least!

Newegg's prices, service, and website, are all top notch, which is why I've been using them for over 5 years (my first PC was a Duron 800mhz with Geforce 2 ti, man it was fast!).

lol.... i was pricing a "cheap"good replacement for my families pc...i was looking at the same proc. it did look tempting, but having to reinstall xp most likely , if i bought it for myself, will keep me from upgrading for a while...at least till AMD has their core duo answer out and pciXpress 2.0 is more prevelant