36 members have voted

1. 1. What is your geek/nerd quotient?

• High - off the Richter scale
    • Fairly high
    • So-so
    • Fairly low
    • Non-existent (or in denial)
    • Other - clarify

Ok, so I'm in L.A. last week and, like I used to do when I was growing up there, I would go to LAX to see planes land and take-off.

As some of you know, the runways are perpendicular to the ocean and the communities of Westchester and El Segundo are to the north and south of the airport property, respectively. The Westchester side has no viewpoints per se but, on the El Segundo side, there is a knoll with a viewing park and telescopes. So I take my rental car there.

It never fails. I always get into a conversation with somebody up there about planes and an hour has gone by...easily. They, too, know all the models, how much thrust the engines have, which airline has which aircraft on order, and even the timetable when certain carriers arrive and depart from Europe, Australia and the Orient... and on and on and on.

As I drove away on Friday pm after watching a couple of '47s climb to the sky, I realized "I'm somewhat of a nerd." So be it. I love my planes.

So, what's your nerd factor? Why so?

Depends on the criteria. I'm a bit of a music nerd (I've had The Decemberists goin in the Fusion's cd player for the last week) and am an admitted baseball geek, but I have no computer skills at all (outside of basic Microsoft Office and Access stuff) I cant quote Star Wars or Lord of the Rings and I dont own a Vote for Pedro shirt. I've gone out on actual dates with women who arent the bottom of the barrel (have you ever noticed that "she has a great personality" equates to "she's the only girl who would go out with me"?) and enjoy doing things outside more than staying inside to get to level 135 of sme pointless computer game. I did get an original NES a few months back, and that was a kinda geeky move, but its totally going to appreciate in value. I'll have to answer so-so.

(have you ever noticed that "she has a great personality" equates to "she's the only girl who would go out with me"?)

LOL. I was going to do another thread on this topic alone.

TRANSLATIONS:

Man says about woman: "she's a good woman" - meaning: she's not particularly attractive or makes my blood boil, but I had to settle down and we get along well.

Woman (or woman's family) says about man: "he's good to her" - meaning: yeah, he's not the bad boy that gets her wet (did I just write that?), but it could be worse, so I guess he'll do, ...or he's a nerdy Jewish doctor who doesn't make her blood boil but the Neiman Marcus credit card bill is taken care of.

I like Satty. He's got a good dose of "street smarts." OK, back to nerdiness.

I'm a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd say my nerd/geek quotient is pretty high. I love comic books, video games, science fiction and history, I'm a huge music and movie buff, I'm training for a career as an automotive technician, I have a tendency to be a loud-mouthed, ego-driven jackass and I'm almost a total coward if I have to talk to a girl I like.

Mine is probably pretty high...but I'm not singularly obsessive about one thing or another..

I have a BS and MS in Computer Science, as well as 3 years towards a PhD...have worked in the software industry for a decade, have 9 computers (2 Linux desktops, 1 Sun Workstation, 3 Windows desktops (98, 2000, XP), 3 laptops (Win 98, 2000, Mac OS X) at home (all working).. have a ton of computer books that I've read. I read Dr. Dobbs Journal, IEEE Computer, and many software blogs every month, but I also subscribe to 6 car magazines and pick up 1 music mag a month (usually Q).

I've dabbled with video games but don't really get into them, but I'm a big music and movie fanatic. Not into comic books (not even much when I was a kid---I preferred reading Car & Driver and Road & Track from about age 7 on). Never got into D&D or other role-playing games, but I love trivia games (NTN, Trivial Pursuit). I don't read sci-fi or fantasy, but have enjoyed some sci-fi movies (2001, 2010, Blade Runner, Gattaca, Minority Report, Dark City, Strange Days to name a few that I liked). I do have the collector gene, though..collecting (and building) model cars and diecast cars.

I go to 2-3 software conferences every year.. I spend way too much time online, but don't have a Blackberry. I love cars, car trivia, but love travel, reading, dining out, museums, rock concerts, etc...

I'm kind of fanatical about maps---before I visit a city, I'll study the street and underground maps in detail.

I'm shy with women, though I've had a few serious relationships--one that lasted 4+ years and is coming apart now, was engaged once, etc. I've tended to date professionals--women that are accountants, software recruiters, software testers, management consultants..

I've always thought of myself as an extroverted introvert..I love my personal time but enjoy hanging out with my friends and cubies...an evening at the pub, a day at a car show, a car club road trip, etc..

Although I grew up devouring Science Fiction books, I never took to video games or comic books. I was a bad dresser and had questionable hygene when I was a young teenager, but then my "gay shield" kicked in, and except for a brief fling with a very bad punk look in the late '70s, I became an okay dresser. Computers still consisted of card readers and the school board only had one keyboard in our class when I was growing up, so although an opportunity to be Bill Gates was there, I skipped that bus.

I think that if a person gets attracted to sports and athletics at an earlier age, they can possibly avoid the geek end of the scale, but other than riding my 10 spd everywhere, I more or less avoided physical exertion when I was a kid. Ironically, I hated gym class as a student, but now as an adult, I go to the gym 2 - 4 times a week and would LOVE to meet up with the jocks from the Class of '80 to see who can make ONE lap around the track now. LOL

So-so. I'm not nerdy or geeky in the least, but I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to cars. Not to mention that everything I do usually has something to do with cars. Watch TV? I'm watching something with cars and I'll always pay more attention to the cars rather than the characters or point of the show/commercial. On the internet? I'm talking about cars or researching and looking at them. Reading? I'm reading about cars. Hobbies? I collect model cars, car magazines, brochures, badges, etc. Going out, I go to car dealers. My intended career? I want to design car or atleast do something with them. So I suppose all that counts.

I collect toys still @ 32 y-o, spend too much online (C&G, skyroadster.com, eBay), and I love STAR WARS. Need I say more? However, I have the love of 14-18 years in my school, as I'm viewed as a "cool teacher". I think they think I'm funny, even though I know my jokes & humor are corny. :P

I know a lot of random things that can mostly be deemed un-useful like all kinds of tree species and wether they are classified coniferous or deciduous, elevations of mountain ranges and yada yada.

I collect toys still @ 32 y-o, spend too much online (C&G, skyroadster.com, eBay), and I love STAR WARS. Need I say more? However, I have the love of 14-18 years in my school, as I'm viewed as a "cool teacher". I think they think I'm funny, even though I know my jokes & humor are corny. :P

haha we laugh for brownie points.

I can out nerd most of you. My other common username is Drewbert. I have a small model of Spock on my work desk and two models of the Enterprise on my home desk.... and that's just the start of it.

Cool..I have my red Swingline stapler and Initech coffee mug in my cube at work. At a previous job, my nickname was 'Hallbert'. I have both a Dilbert day-by-day calendar and a wall calendar in my cube.

Cool..I have my red Swingline stapler and Initech coffee mug in my cube at work. At a previous job, my nickname was 'Hallbert'. I have both a Dilbert day-by-day calendar and a wall calendar in my cube.

you may have the stapler.... but I can do the voice impression.....

and love learning languages.

Please tell me how this even begins to be nerdy...:scratchchin: :AH-HA_wink: we then have several "offenders" on this forum for this infraction alone! Edited by trinacriabob

I've found that I've neared the point of obsession when it comes to computer hardware research (and yet, I don't frequent any hardware forums like I frequent C&G). I read up on this stuff mostly as a hobby, but I'm sure when it comes time to upgrade the company PCs that my knowledge will come in handy.

Hmmm, I could be a nerd since I am webmaster for my car club and play video games (mostly the Civilization series) but I work on airplane engines for a living and have 8 cars to play with. And only one of those cars does not have a V8.

I voted so-so. I can be a bit of a nerd but damn I love drag racing (and no, that is not racing in drag - there is an image no one wants)

At 4:30 AM on a Saturday night I went on Wikipedia to see what CVS stood for, because I was at one earlier that night and thought it might be Caring, value, service...only to find out it means consumer, value, service....

need I say more :pokeowned:

I think it's safe to assume every red-blooded North American guy has at least a 'So-So' rating.

Guys like technology, machinery, and statistics, among other things; it's just how we are built.

I know people who are huge into sports, but go nuts over technology. I knew one dude in residence who would have totally fit the 'jock' image, and yet he could write computer programs like it was nothing, AND he could talk for hours about Star Wars.

In fact, most guys like Star Wars. What's not to like? It's got huge spaceships, laser-guns, killer lightsabers, scary aliens, and a totally evil dude in a black helmet.

Guys don't have much of a problem rolling off statistics, or showing off their new TV or computer or cell-phone or new car.

It seems like the people that classify men to be 'geeks' or 'nerds' are... women.

It seems like the people that classify men to be 'geeks' or 'nerds' are... women.

I completely overlooked this, but you are about 90 % right. Some guys do label other guys this way, but not as often.

Very observant of you, "Mr. Vahn-koo-vair."

I would have to say I'm pretty high up there, although I'm not really into comic books, Star Wars/Star Trek, and I'm not up on the latest video games or computer hardware. I still don't even own a cell phone, and I hate to read.

I'm a draftsman, and CAD tech. Today I had the office manager asking me questions about formulas in Excel. I also have a part time job at a home improvement store, and have become pretty good with plants. I can answer pretty much all the questions the old ladies buying flowers can throw at me. Earlier tonight I was checking out my purple leafed sand cherry that I planted last year (the buds are ready to pop, yay!). I'm also building a butterfly garden in my front yard.

I've always been into cars, and could tell the make (if not always the model) of just about every car I saw by kindergarden. I still collect toy cars (although I like to think of them as scale replicas, not toys). I collect brochures and browse car lots from time to time just for fun. My computer room (I guess I am nerdy, I have a computer room!) has the walls lined with license plates, die cast cars and car posters, signs and ads. Some people think it is cool, and some don't.

As far as sports, I was never much into any of them. I'm pretty much the most unathletic and uncoordinated non-retarded person on earth. As a kid my other friends wanted to play wiffle ball or football while I was trying to convince them to play scrabble. Gym class... we won't even go there.

Oh, I still watch cartoons, and Office Space is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think the only thing I have seen more is the first Back To The Future.