Pop Quiz... *ANSWERS REVEALED*

Flybrian

So, which door panel looks the most luxurious and which looks the least? Rank them from most to least if you'd like.

P.S. If you know what car these belong to, please don't say it now. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks the same as I do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I don't know what any of them come from, so here goes. They all suffer from excess plastic and plasticy wood.

#1: bad- a giant oversized grab handle & cheesy fiberglas carpeting.

#3: bad- (I'm ignoring the curtain), looks lux but not a cohesive design.

#4: awful- way too 'space-shippy'

#5: bad- had better be in an SUV- too blocky for a car.

#6: OK- bland

#7: awful- way too 'space-shippy'

Only one I find tolerable (or 'good') would be #2

Edited by balthazar

In order of "luxuriousness"...

3 - it's luxurious in a neo-classical suburb mansion sort of way; kinda gaudy, but sure, it's luxurious

5 - my favorite one of the bunch; contemporary, art deco; tradition expressed in a very modern and artful manner

6 - business-like luxury; cold and unemotional design, but the switchgear almost look 'engineered'

7 - clean, simple, soft, kinda generic

2 - generic and lacking in modern industrial design, but pleasant nevertheless

4 - looks cheap; a mishmash of unharmonious shapes and cutlines

1 - welcome to 1973

None of these pictures or color combinations are particularly flattering or revealing.

In order of "luxuriousness"...

3 - it's luxurious in a neo-classical suburb mansion sort of way; kinda gaudy, but sure, it's luxurious

5 - my favorite one of the bunch; contemporary, art deco; tradition expressed in a very modern and artful manner

6 - business-like luxury; cold and unemotional design, but the switchgear almost look 'engineered'

7 - clean, simple, soft, kinda generic

2 - generic and lacking in modern industrial design, but pleasant nevertheless

4 - looks cheap; a mishmash of unharmonious shapes and cutlines

1 - welcome to 1973

None of these pictures or color combinations are particularly flattering or revealing.

You and I think almost exactly alike. I would have to go:

2 (it stinks)

Answers revealed for the interested.

I did this because I was originally surprised at how damn lousy the LS460's door panel looked for the money it supposedly commands. The door lock tumbler is even painted plastic.

I might do another 'shocker' soon.

Answers revealed for the interested.

I did this because I was originally surprised at how damn lousy the LS460's door panel looked for the money it supposedly commands. The door lock tumbler is even painted plastic.

I might do another 'shocker' soon.

Interestingly... here's an Armor-Alled up '01 LS430.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Am I the only one that thinks for the price that the Phantom and Mayback are, their door panels are jokes?

I like the Phantom's door panel... simple, classy. I know what is in the car, so the door panel need not be exciting or flashy;

Am I the only one that thinks for the price that the Phantom and Mayback are, their door panels are jokes?

Just because the designs aren't great doesn't mean they aren't swathed in leather and genuine wood.

As for the LS460, well, I don't think it's that bad. It's all nice materials for the most part, though not as good as the S550. Design is the only thing that someone could really have much of a problem with, IMO.

I see nothing wrong with the Phantom's door trim panel. You can bet it is built with the best materials. The Maybach's is also very fine looking, like furniture in a smoking lounge.

In the others, save the Town Car, I see some design similarities... smooth, flat arcs dominate, with tightly pulled materials.

Interesting how the answers are all over the place. The only one I really thought was really horrible was the Rolls.

Caddy: I like this one quite a bit though the DTS is of no interest to me generally. To me the clean lines and the simplicity of design make this my kind of luxurious.

Lincoln: Though obviously very dated, not terrible to look at.

Lexus: I had to go back and look at this one three times to get a grip on how I feel about it. My first impression was "yuck, that looks cheap!" When I went back and looked again, I got the impression of quality materials. The third time I realized that I hate the design (shapes etc.) but the materials and workmanship seem quite good.

Jag: I expect alot more from Jaguar.

Benz: This one Does look cheap.

Maybach: Overblown and gaudy, especially bad use of the wood (too much and oddly shaped).

Just looking at the pictures, I could only identify the Maybach and the Benz. I thought the DTS was something along the lines of a Saturn Aura. My personal favorite was the Rolls, though I thought it might be a Land Rover.

As for the Lexus interior, everything in there feels like quality, though I could take or leave the styling.

And the Ford F-150 interior, circa 1977, that was when trucks were trucks. Nice quilted hard plastic interior door panels and rock hard bench seat.