New 2008 Chevy Malibu styling

trinacriabob

Does the upcoming Malibu look like something else?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Does the new 2008 Malibu look like a Jetta to you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - clarify

I keep seeing the new Jetta around. As much as I would not own one, it is much improved.

That being said, I cannot help but notice too much Jetta in the new Malibu: overall side profile, greenhouse and door shapes, and trunk height and contours. It really jumps out at me.

I think the Malibu will be a hit and I hope so. However, GM needs to stop siphoning some overall design themes (Malibu from Jetta and Enclave from Lexus). That's my humble opinion, anyway.

Obviously, I voted yes.

Edited by trinacriabob

I don't see it. I do see a resemblance between the Jetta and the Corolla.

Malibu, although it shares some styling cues with the Acura TL, Toyota Camry, Mitsubishi Diamante (rear), and the Impala, I still think it looks pretty unique overall.

Don't see it at all, at least anymore than a LOT of cars share a similar line or profile here and there. There's only SO much you can do with what is, essentially, a basic 3 box sedan structure, and inevitably, there's going to be some similarities with something.

And having seen it up close and in person, the '08 Malibu is quite unique. Nothing drop dead or holy crap, but just about perfectly done proportions (thank god...GM was so bad at that for so long...), and very elegant and ritzy lines and pieces through and through. Actually, as just suggested, I do get a lot of '04 Acura TL impression if anything.

Edited by caddycruiser

I'm going out on a limb here: the new Malibu looks very much like a Jetta or VW in general and that is one of many problems I have with it. It looks very sterile and generic/germanic which some may like and others may not. The generic exterior totally clashes with the american influenced interior which is much better overall executed IMO. About the only exterior part I like on this new 08 Malibu is the front end treatment which looks bold and gives a distinctive look. It's a shame that didn't transfer into the rest of the body. The lack of bodyside moldings is not only a dumb move(just like the Camry and Jetta of course) but it just draws attention to the overall blandness and leaves the whole side of the car unprotected to an unforgiving world. The rear end treatment could have been penned by Kia or Mitsubishi and just doesn't say Chevrolet to me. The interior is nice but I will reserve final judgement on it's quality after checking out many examples. What does stand out is the lack of overhead grab handles, lacks of rear seat heat ducts and the obviously missing rear seat center armrest. No Nav screen, bluetooth, keyless start and some of the nifty features of the Chrysler C-body Sebring/Avenger certainly won't go unnoticed in comparisons. Neither will the fuel economy of the V6 which, using the old rating system from the identical Aura powertrain, is 20/28 versus 22/32 for the current Malibu and 22/31 for the Camry and 20/30 for the Sonota and 22/30 for the Optima. And the 2 biggest problems I have with the new 08 Malibu- no more Maxx which offered something that the other class segment leaders never had and several smaller interior dimensions compared to the smaller, shorter wheelbase 04-07 Malibu sedan! This is, I fear, one of those cars that will not stand up well for internet comparisons to it's competitors when cross shopping online, even if it does drive nice and accellerate better than before and seems to follow the current trend of when less tries to be more.

This kind of thing is ridiculous. I can take ANY car on the road, pick some minute detail, and say that it was copied or unoriginal because it HAPPENS to remind me of some other minute detail of some other car. Get real. I'm sure GM said, "Hey, that new Jetta is lookin' pretty hot. New Malibu anybody?"

In case you haven't noticed, ALL midsize FWD sedans share styling similarities. Did they all get together and rip each other off? I don't think so.

Edited by bcs296

I like the Malibu's styling, and I agree it looks Phaeton'esque. The Phaeton was a very sophisticated vehicle, and the Malibu should be too.

As for the comments regarding how all the midsizers look the same: Guys, sometimes it is not good to break the mold. For example...

Posted Image

8)

I like the Malibu's styling, and I agree it looks Phaeton'esque. The Phaeton was a very sophisticated vehicle, and the Malibu should be too.

As for the comments regarding how all the midsizers look the same: Guys, sometimes it is not good to break the mold. For example...

Posted Image

8)

They didn't break the mold.... they ripped off the Jag S-type

After visiting the art center college of design, in pasadena, and seeing this, I pity the whole group who designed this. There are undergrads, heck, even teens in their first year in acdc who can come up with something more creative than this, even when it’s watered down. Also there is something missing most of the time, there’s no mentioning of the name(s) of who design this! For bmw you’ve got Bangle, dcx: Creed, ford: j. Mays. For gm there’s a whole lot of the good ole bob lutz. Sure he’s plays an important role of the improvements of whatever gm brings, but half of the time there’s no credit of who designed it. The 08 bu’ is great, but the face is nothing new, especially reading some articles saying that ‘this is the new face of chevy’. That sounds a bit contradicting because the dual-split grill is already seen on the current generation impala, tahoe, suburban, and the avalanche. I like the interior more than the ext. although the dash is almost the same shape as the current Malibu, just outlined with wood/silver trim. Good looking though

OK, so there is some resemblance to some current VW products. It's not extreme, it's just that most of us (who have design sense or we wouldn't post on C&G) might pick up on this.

I am not saying it's bad. I hope the car is successful. It's a turn in the right direction for GM.

I think the ultimate test will be seeing it in person. I came onto the forum/site when the LaCrosse was being unveiled and the "Taurus/not a Taurus" debate was heated. When you see the LaCrosse, then you realize there's a lukewarm resemblance to the Taurus, but it's pretty clearly a mid-sized Buick.

...there is something missing most of the time, there’s no mentioning of the name(s) of who design this! For bmw you’ve got Bangle, dcx: Creed, ford: j. Mays. For gm there’s a whole lot of the good ole bob lutz. Sure he’s plays an important role of the improvements of whatever gm brings, but half of the time there’s no credit of who designed it...

Thats not entirely true. GM made an effort to show of the designers this time. On GM Fastlane Blog, Clay Dean did the intro write-up. Clay is the Lead designer.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2007/...u_best_vie.html

And, on GM FYI Blog, John Mack (Director of Design for Small and Mid-Sized Car Interiors) and Tim Kozub (Malibu Exterior Design Manager) both talk about the car in studio:

http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2007/01/video_the_2...evy_malibu.html

...08 bu’ is great, but the face is nothing new, especially reading some articles saying that ‘this is the new face of chevy’. That sounds a bit contradicting because the dual-split grill is already seen on the current generation impala, tahoe, suburban, and the avalanche...

The dual split grille isn't new, but the shape is now more shield-like and bolder than before.

Back on topic, I see a tiny bit of Jetta in the 08 'Bu. Theres a hint of it in the way the window line meets the c-pillar, and the tailights have a VW-esque quality. Bit thats it.

Thats not entirely true. GM made an effort to show of the designers this time. On GM Fastlane Blog, Clay Dean did the intro write-up. Clay is the Lead designer.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2007/...u_best_vie.html

And, on GM FYI Blog, John Mack (Director of Design for Small and Mid-Sized Car Interiors) and Tim Kozub (Malibu Exterior Design Manager) both talk about the car in studio:

http://fyi.gmblogs.com/2007/01/video_the_2...evy_malibu.html

None of them are vp. We had some of the best back then; Mitchell and Earl.

Regarding the GM FYI v-log, I would love to get a better look at those sketches in the background. I still can't get over how the rear is the definition of "afterthought," especially on such a decent design. Can't imagine that rear is what was originally planned.

the 08 malibu styling does not make anyone want to AVOID the car, unlike the current Malibu. The current Bu is slightly atrocious and not a very inclusionary design. Have the new one share cues with many popular current cars cannot hurt.

the latest Impala, same thing. Make the car generic but pleasant so as not to offend anyone.

thank the sky above. the 08 malibu could have been an ugly turd * cough * camry.

Edited by regfootball