Get out of the way or speed up!

Northstar

So I was coming home tonight and going 64 in a 55, and I come up on this van quite quickly, forcing me to slow to 38 at is was a 2-lane road and in a no passing zone. Meanwhile, a semi is coming up behind me, so I continuously tap my brakes so that I don't get rear-ended because I'm now going 17MPH UNDER the speed limit. So, I keep doing this, but the semi keeps barreling down on me. I mean, he didn't even seem to be slowing down. Luckily, I think he figured it out just in time and got stopped, but I wasn't positive that I wasn't going to have to merge into the oncoming lane as to not get rear-ended.

I don't know who thinks 38 in a 55 is a safe speed, but if you're going under 45 in a 55 you should be getting a ticket, IMO. The only excuse is if traffic is forcing you to do so, because it's simply not safe.

Meanwhile, I found out how easy it is to get up to speeds way faster than I mean to be going while passing people in the GTO. There were two cars and a semi in front of me, and I'm going about 60 or so, and there's no traffic coming that I can see, so I pull out and give it plenty of gas. Then, by the time I'm about halfway past the semi I realize I'm flying past it, and look down to see I'm going 110 (!) Whoops.

Old Man River in his Grand Marquis usually take up station at 30mph regardless of the top-end speed (40-50mph), but they do so in the right-hand lane. I don't care if the posted signage reads 50 and you're going 20 as long as you keep it in the right-hand lane.

People just simply need to learn how to drive.

Old Man River in his Grand Marquis usually take up station at 30mph regardless of the top-end speed (40-50mph), but they do so in the right-hand lane. I don't care if the posted signage reads 50 and you're going 20 as long as you keep it in the right-hand lane.

People just simply need to learn how to drive.

Well, that would be okay, except that this was a 2-lane road (one lane each direction).

I have to agree. I'm pretty tired of people who insist on driving way under the speed limit. Actually, around here it is illegal to hold up more than 5 vehicles. I've seen cops pull over people for that.

What drives me really nuts a the 'left lane vigilantes'. You know, those drivers who go under the speed limit in the left lanes. They seem to think that they have a duty to keep you under the speed limit.

Personally, if someone is coming up fast behind me, I'll move to the right and let them get by. For one, its common courtesy. For another, if they are really speeding, it attracts the cops to the guy doing over 90.

I'm forever confused by people who drive way under the limit in the center lane(s) of a three (or four)-lane highway especially when there's nothing keeping them from moving over to the right.

It's quite common over here also... the bad part is that in Portugal (and most of Continental Europe, I think) you're not allowed to overtake through the right...

I can't tell you how many times I'm coming home or going to school on 110 (45 mph speed limit) and having to be stuck behind peopel going under the speed limit. I was once stuck behind some idiot in a Cavalier who was going 25 mpg and riding his brakes! I hate peopel who can't go the damns peed limit. Personally, on that road I tend to go over the speed limit (between 50 and 60 mph)...since I know where the cops like to hide, and I personally think the speed limit should be at least 5 mph higher.

Yes, I have to deal with these alot. Living on backroads, older drivers or drivers not familiar with the roads, tend to go about 15-25 mph when the limit is 45 mph. I can't understand why with these backroads, but it does get annoying. Now, on roads where speeds over the limit are completely safe, it really makes you wonder what the driver is thinking.

On the other side of things, with my Millenia have a missing problem, there has been times where I couldn't get out of my own way and consequently held up drivers.

Yes, I have to deal with these alot. Living on backroads, older drivers or drivers not familiar with the roads, tend to go about 15-25 mph when the limit is 45 mph. I can't understand why with these backroads, but it does get annoying. Now, on roads where speeds over the limit are completely safe, it really makes you wonder what the driver is thinking.

On the other side of things, with my Millenia have a missing problem, there has been times where I couldn't get out of my own way and consequently held up drivers.

A missing problem?

if you're going under 45 in a 55 you should be getting a ticket, IMO. The only excuse is if traffic is forcing you to do so, because it's simply not safe.

Well... on Long Island, the LIE speed limit is 55mph max. The minimum is 40. You won't get a ticket for doing 40 on the LIE. It's dangerous because many choose to go well above the 55mph speed limit. I normally drive 70 on the LIE.

I actually saw something Michigan I liked for once, MINIMUM speed limits and the highways.

In my country the minimum speed in Motorways is 50Km/h (31mph) and the speed limit is 120Km/h (75mph). And people do get fined if they're driving below 50Km/h.

I've got no problem when driving under the speed limit when traffic forces me to. Otherwise I'm doing the speed limit or within 10 mph of it. Another thing that I have to complain about would be the people who drive slow, then suddenly speed up like there was a fire lit under their tail.

I've got no problem when driving under the speed limit when traffic forces me to. Otherwise I'm doing the speed limit or within 10 mph of it. Another thing that I have to complain about would be the people who drive slow, then suddenly speed up like there was a fire lit under their tail.

I don't mind driving under the speed limit of they are going a constant speed and if I'm on my way home from school. On my way to school their going slow can cost me precious minutes. The problem is that most people are too stupid to drive a constant speed, so I can never enjoy cruise control...if I can use the cruise control then I don't mind if they go slow...as long as it's not like 20 mph and a 45 zone.

Oh, It's nothing new. Clicky. I'm pretty sure its something with the intake, like sucking too much air, causing it seem like its missing. Getting it fixed soon, though.

That sucks, hope you get it fixed soon. I'm hoping to take the Intrepid tomorrow to the dealer, I want to have the gauge lights looked at. I'm hoping it's just a couple burnt out bulbs but who knows. It's not a big deal but it's an annoyance...ya know?

You'll get a ticket in California if you are going too slow- it's obstructing traffic flow.

Heck, a couple of years ago when a bunch of us in my Camaro club were heading to Reno for Hot August Nights, I saw a cop come up behind us. I thought we were all going to get in trouble, we were doing about 80. As he passed he gave a couple of the cars a thumbs up and then hit the gas.

I am starting to think the speed limit signs on the California Highways are the minimum speeds. :P

I couldn't make this one up....it's so good.....

I was on the 405 and in the #1 lane (fast lane) was this crabby looking old bitch going 45mph or so while all the normal traffic was flowing 75-80+........I was about the 5th or 6th person behind her and everyone ended up going around her.

WELL....I noticed as all of us were going around her in the #2 lane, she was staring forward.....with her right arm outstretched to the right....and the old bag was GIVING US ALL THE FINGER...! She just kept it there pointed out the window as we all passed her.

The BEST PART? A few cars behind ME, was a COP.....! I watched in my rearview mirror and when the cop pulled up alongside her, she obviously was giving him the "bird" as well.....

He promptly slowed down, pulled behind her, and pulled her wrinkly ass over.

Most laughing I've done in a long time......

:lol:

COlroado has a law about using the far left lane for passing only on freeways outside of the metro areas, aimed at the 'left lane bandits'.

One exception to the slower-than-speedlimit rule I follow is in bad weather..I will slow down well below 55 if the roads are snowy and icy and with poor visibility. Though I drive an SUV, I'm not one of those reckless $h!bags that blast along in the left lane at 70 mph in snow and ice then roll over in the median...

Edited by moltar