Volt Production Targeted For 2010

Windy-57

Awesome! That 10 percent chance of failure sounds bad, but it's good to see them taking the risk to be on the leading edge with this technology!

I couldn't agree more. They absolutely need to be seen as a technological leader.

As for 2010, I don't know? This seems to be one of their aces in the hole; like they've been developing it for production for a while and they'll have all their ducks in a row by then, it'll just depend on whether battery technology progresses enough.

Question, I know there were rumors about the next Prius being a plug-in, given this timing, will the Volt make it out before or after that vehicle?

The Volt makes me happy, though I'd be surprised if it gets out to market by 2010. GM's candor on the project is refreshing, though I can't help but think that promotion of the project is due to "Who Killed the Electric Car?" and Toyota's lead in production hybrids.

I'd like to see this kind of technology used in trucks and vans; the types of vehicles that are usually associated with poor mileage. I for one wouldn't kind the instant torque the electricity would provide.

That reminds me: when the hell is the Durango hybrid supposed to finally debut?

...it'll just depend on whether battery technology progresses enough.

Not to be the party pooper, but hasn't this been a historically HORRIBLE thing to count on? If current battery technology is there, and they just need cost down, I could see that, but if they're needing some great advance in battery technology, then that's quite a roll of the dice...

First let me make it clear that I want this car to work and be everything we all hope it to be.

Now let me state I worry that it has a 10% chance of failure, it also will not look like the show car. Both are not the end of the world but just remind me GM needs to get this car right and not have any problems with it to win and maintain the image of a technology leader. Toyotas Prius was not perfect but they got a pass from the media and public and I don't see GM getting a pass if all is not right with this car.

The keys are that GM needs this car to be practial and affordable.

It does not need to look like the concept but needs to be as stylish as the concept.

It needs to perform better than the Prius or any other leading EV that may be out.

GM also needs to make sure in making this a step or two beyond the Prius, Make sure that is is a real practical car and not let it just be a press gimick or little advanced clone.

I love seeing GM approach this like NASA approched going to the moon. NASA Did not have the technology and they even had a greater chance of failure. But NASA kept at it and developed technology that was needed to get there. In the end they were heros and it paided off.

But in working to a new far reaching goal there is always problems like Apolo 1 and 13.

I see a lot of risk here with money and image if this fails but I think it is worth the risk. This could be a big pay off for GM if it works and the odds are in their favor. I just hope they get it right the first time.

A good slogan for GM here is "We do these thing not because they are easy but because they are hard" [John Kennedy on going to the moon].

First let me make it clear that I want this car to work and be everything we all hope it to be.

Now let me state I worry that it has a 10% chance of failure, it also will not look like the show car. Both are not the end of the world but just remind me GM needs to get this car right and not have any problems with it to win and maintain the image of a technology leader. Toyotas Prius was not perfect but they got a pass from the media and public and I don't see GM getting a pass if all is not right with this car.

The keys are that GM needs this car to be practial and affordable.

It does not need to look like the concept but needs to be as stylish as the concept.

It needs to perform better than the Prius or any other leading EV that may be out.

GM also needs to make sure in making this a step or two beyond the Prius, Make sure that is is a real practical car and not let it just be a press gimick or little advanced clone.

I love seeing GM approach this like NASA approched going to the moon. NASA Did not have the technology and they even had a greater chance of failure. But NASA kept at it and developed technology that was needed to get there. In the end they were heros and it paided off.

But in working to a new far reaching goal there is always problems like Apolo 1 and 13.

I see a lot of risk here with money and image if this fails but I think it is worth the risk. This could be a big pay off for GM if it works and the odds are in their favor. I just hope they get it right the first time.

A good slogan for GM here is "We do these thing not because they are easy but because they are hard" [John Kennedy on going to the moon].

Great Post! :thumbsup: