How much does gas have to be before you scrap your V8 plans?

Oracle of Delphi

When would gas be to high to puchase a V8 Zeta?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. When would gas be to high to puchase a V8 Zeta?

• 2.50 a gallon
    • 3.00 a gallon
    • 3.50 a gallon
    • 4.00 a gallon
    • 4.50 a gallon
    • 5.00 a gallon
    • It will never be to high

I've waited far too long for Zeta to come to North America for a few $$$ to come between me and my future G8 and/or El Camino/Ute. There's always the HF 3.6L (or maybe the new 2.9L Diesel V6) if I want to get frugal.

I'll set a cap at $5.00, though...if the prices get that bad, I'll take the bus or buy a bike.

Edited by DetroitNut90

"Years ago my heart was set to live, ohh

and I've been trying hard against unbelievable odds

gets so hard in times like now to hold on

But guns,they wait to be stuck by

at my side is god

And there ain't no one gonna turn me 'round

ain't no one gonna turn me round..."

Never. If worse comes to worse, I'll drive a crappy econo-box as a second car and keep my Zeta for the weekends.

Ditto. Here are the following V8's I've owned/currently own:

Cadillac 472 ('71 Coupe DeVille)

Cadillac 429 ('67 Eldorado)

Cadillac 425 ('79 Coupe DeVille)

Oldsmobile 350 ('77 Cutlass Supreme)

Ford 460 ('74 Lincoln Continental limousine)

As you can see, not only do I not mind V8's, but I am a solid member of the 400+ cubic inch club, with my '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan being the "economical" member of the bunch at a trim 350. If worse comes to worse and gas prices go through the roof then I'll just ride around in some $h!ty old four banger J-body during the week and let the good stuff come out during the summer and weekends. Having toys is frivolous as-is, so associated fuel costs don't mean anything because practicality has already been thrown out the window. Long live V8's!

Ditto. Here are the following V8's I've owned/currently own:

Cadillac 472 ('71 Coupe DeVille)

Cadillac 429 ('67 Eldorado)

Cadillac 425 ('79 Coupe DeVille)

Oldsmobile 350 ('77 Cutlass Supreme)

Ford 460 ('74 Lincoln Continental limousine)

As you can see, not only do I not mind V8's, but I am a solid member of the 400+ cubic inch club, with my '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan being the "economical" member of the bunch at a trim 350. If worse comes to worse and gas prices go through the roof then I'll just ride around in some $h!ty old four banger J-body during the week and let the good stuff come out during the summer and weekends. Having toys is frivolous as-is, so associated fuel costs don't mean anything because practicality has already been thrown out the window. Long live V8's!

Where do you get the money to insure all of these? :blink:

As long as I had a second car, it wouldn't matter. If I was getting 20-25 mpg and paying premium for my Millenia when gas was almost $3.50/gal at times around here, I think I could deal with a much more powerful V8. Especially when the gas mileage wouldn't be much worse and I'd be paying for regular instead.

Interesting question. Since I have a big block Corvette as a project car and eventual toy, I would get a V8 Zeta for my primary car iff there was a significant performance boost for a marginal penalty in MPG. If they're shooting for 30+MPG out of a V8, then sign me up for one. Otherwise I'll just take the V6. If gas prices become enough of an issue, I have no problems taking the bike to work and to run errands.

A V8 Zeta would probably get better gas mileage than my 6 cyl Jeep. My 20 year old V8 Mustang gets better gas mileage than my Jeep.

Exactly! What seems to get lost in many topics I see on how risky "new V8 cars" could be in light of gas prices is that compared to the rest of the vehicle population, many of the V8 cars will still be better than the countless small and midsize SUVs which are on the roads in huge numbers. When looking at the fuel economy numbers that the GM pushrod V8s can produce, especially given their power and torque output, it's mind boggling as to why there are lesser V6 cars out there that can only match or even those that can't beat them in fuel economy, let alone performance.

My '94 Buick Roadmaster (4,000 + pound BOF sedan with over 200,000 miles on the factory original LT1 5.7 and 4-spd auto) would still consistently perform within range of the original 17 city and 25 highway window sticker rating. Co-workers and people in general would always look at that car and ask me "what kind of gas mileage does that thing get" in a tone that implied they believed it was something like 9 mpg. I would have to kindly tell them that I knew for a fact I was getting better mileage than they were in their V6 Explorer, for example. To that they would just give me a blank stare, they just could not understand how their 1970 notion of large car fuel economy could be wrong. No one really asks me about the Caprices, though they perform not as well as the RM did, partially due to their more performance-oriented rear axle ratios. I guess the RM just looked bigger.

Anyway, I can't wait for the ZETA V8 cars to come out with what I expect to be perfectly reasonable fuel economy given the power and performance output, and V6 versions will be available for those who want them, and if that's not good enough, there are smaller 4-cylinder cars to choose.

Seriously, I wish you had $ 2.00 on your poll. I voted $ 2.50 though. I love consistently getting over 30 mpg on the highway.

Grant you, the most awesome engine I've ever owned was my first car which had an Olds Rocket 350 V-8...the most enthralling sound I've ever heard from any engine. I used to put the right window down when going over a bridge just to hear the velvety rhythmic purr echo back to me. I love my 3800 V6 but it doesn't sound like THAT.

Times have changed. Any more, I wouldn't pop for anything over a V-6.

I never want to own anything less than 8 cylinders (granted, there are a few exceptions...). I don't care how high gas prices go. Hell...LS engines can get better mileage than a lot of 6's...

I never want to own anything less than 8 cylinders (granted, there are a few exceptions...). I don't care how high gas prices go.

Spoken like a true-to-form resident of WV. :AH-HA_wink:

gas prices already put an end to my V8 days (at least for the time being) my Rocket 350 was getting about 10-12 MPG last year when gas was around 2.50 so I bought a 3800 V6 to hold me over, and that gets only slighty better mileage...so I kind of screwed myself over....but my Delta 88 will live again, I'm planning on the restoration as a 30th birthday gift to the car...(its a '79)