GM Sued Over Inaccurate Speedometers

Cory Wolfe

Suits filed over GM speedometers

By David Bowermaster

Seattle Times staff reporter

Kevin Zwicker knew something was wrong when the speedometer on his 2004 Chevy Suburban indicated he was going 10 mph, even though he was driving at or near the speed limit on Interstate 5.

Zwicker's speedometer failed completely in April 2006. But General Motors did not replace it for free because the truck was outside the standard three-year, 36,000-mile warranty period.

Zwicker had purchased an extended warranty, so he paid $100 for a new speedometer rather than the usual $400 to $500.

But now Zwicker, who lives in Snohomish, is the lead plaintiff in a federal lawsuit seeking damages on behalf of potentially thousands of people. The lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, could potentially cover all Washington residents who purchased GM trucks and sport-utility vehicles from 2003 to 2007, and who have had to replace defective speedometers.

Zwicker, 48, considers himself a "savvy driver," but said it was uncomfortable driving without knowing how fast he was going.

"I don't think it's fair that a major manufacturer such as GM can let something like this go by and not give it some serious thought," Zwicker said.

A nearly identical suit was filed this week in U.S. District Court in Oregon on behalf of John Hall, who paid $427.50 in January to fix a defective speedometer on his 2003 GMC Envoy LE.

The lawsuits in Washington and Oregon are seeking class-action status, according to Beth Terrell, an attorney with the Seattle law firm of Tousley Brain Stephens who is representing Hall and Zwicker. The suits cover five Chevrolet models: Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe and Trailblazer; four GMC models: Denali, Envoy, Sierra and Trailblazer; and the Cadillac Escalade.

Additional suits could follow in other states, but there are currently no plans to consolidate the cases into a single national suit against the world's largest automaker.

"We think it makes sense to prosecute GM in each state on behalf of that state's residents," Terrell said.

More: Clicky

This, like Honda's odometer lawsuit, is ridiculous.

My car's cupholder broke. I feel uncomfortable travelling without hydration. Sue GM.

I would consider a speedometer failing important. GM should issue a recall if there are enough people with faulty speedometers, otherwise they will just get sued like they are now. The thread title is misleading, the speedometers aren't inaccurate by a few %, they fail, or read considerably wrong.

I would consider a speedometer failing important. GM should issue a recall if there are enough people with faulty speedometers, otherwise they will just get sued like they are now. The thread title is misleading, the speedometers aren't inaccurate by a few %, they fail, or read considerably wrong.

What's "enough" people? I saw two people referenced in the article and they're both probably dirtbag lawyers.

What's "enough" people? I saw two people referenced in the article and they're both probably dirtbag lawyers.

I don't know how many it takes before they will do a recall. Maybe the two people are isolated cases and just sewing cause they're poor. =)

I would consider a transmission, engine, or brake system failing important as well. That doesn't mean that you get to sue the automaker because your engine failed outside of warranty. The speedo is the same way.

Unless there are a large number of speedometers, there is no reason to issue a recall, and no reason to be sued. Things break, people can't expect everything to work perfectly forever.

Tomorrow, I am gonna sue GOD for making me only 5'10" tall instead of 6' and I have a class action pending with other people sharing my grief.

Let us know if that works for ya. I'm sure we can all come up with deficiencies we'd like to sue for.

Happened in my dad's 04 Silverado before he got rid of it. Was very inaccurate for a couple of months, then fell off to zero. Instead of letting me buy one for him off of ebay, he decided to just drive with the Tach for a couple more months until he traded it off.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard down in the states they sue the weatherman for predicting the wrong weather :rolleyes:

:AH-HA_wink: If only we could. The problem would be there wouldn't BE any weathermen because they'd all get sued.

I heard down in the states they sue the weatherman for predicting the wrong weather :rolleyes:

If only.

I must be nice to be able to be wrong at least 50% of the time and still have job security. :P

Actually, here in Washington State the weatherman xould just call for rain everyday and if it doesn't then tell people to be happy about getting sun. lol

:AH-HA_wink: If only we could. The problem would be there wouldn't BE any weathermen because they'd all get sued.

I wonder if that would work with lawyers? :scratchchin: Edited by SS427

Tomorrow, I am gonna sue GOD for making me only 5'10" tall instead of 6' and I have a class action pending with other people sharing my grief.

I'm signing up for that one, but I want more compensation because I only reached 5'5". <_<

Listen, you're not missing much... the air isn't any cleaner, the earlier warning for rain isn't significant enough to make a difference, and you have a higher rate of banging your head on things.

:AH-HA_wink:

Wait, are you talking about meterologists or Ford CEOs?

-RBB

Hmmm - me thinks Ford CEO's haven't been right even 50 percent of the time lately. Maybe others disagree.

Edited by ellives

You know, I heard of a similar problem once before with a friend of a friend's Silverado. It had the speed-to-volume proportional stereo and a component went bad in the radio, which caused the speedometer to konk out. Because apparently the input signal from the Vehice Speed Sensor (VSS), comes through the radio first, then goes to the IP.