Crap Desktop vs. Crap Notebook

Variance

I can't take it anymore. I have to get a new computer and I need it soon.

This POS desktop of mine is hinging on my last nerve: the slowness, the loudness, the slowness, the ancient (by today's standards) monitor, the slowness, the fact that if I so much as touch the tower, the computer will inexplicably black out and require a hard reset (I'm not kidding) and did I mention the slowness?

Then there's the laptop with a dead keyboard, dead touchpad, several dead LEDs, and a line of dead pixels in the corner of the screen. Plus, it's thick and heavy as hell, the battery life sucks (which wouldn't be that much of an issue if the AC jack worked properly...which it doesn't) and it's scratched to all hell. Frankly, I'm sick of looking at it.

I may have to delay my new car plans a bit because I am getting a new computer this month no matter what.

My only issue is, which one do I replace first? I've had the desktop longer and as such it's the older and slower of the two. On the other hand, I'd like to have the ability to take a computer to my classes (and elsewhere) again. I can't afford to replace both of them this year (my car is older than both of my computers put together and I'm eager to replace it as well) and don't plan on spending more than $1000 on one (give or take $100).

Assuming both of your current rigs equally irritated you, which would you replace first? :banghead:

ever try restoring the computer?

The slowness is mainly on the hardware end. The processor, hard drives (which are pathetically small BTW -- another gripe), and video card are all gravely outdated. It'd be cheaper to buy a whole new system than to try and speed this one up (especially since I want Vista).

For the same amount of money, you can get a higher horsepower desktop than you could a laptop. Unless portability is a really big concern to you, I'd just off the laptop and concentrate on the desktop.

My expirence with vista was a night mare and set my back about $200. I tried there beta and every other 10 minutes it was crashing. I was always staring at the blue screen of death. then it fried my ram.

My computer can handle it too

2.8ghz

1 gig ram

460 gigs

256 graphics card

but seriously put all your important files on some CDs and restore the computer Crap on the hard drive can really f up a computer it bogs it down. makes cpu usage go up to 100% and sometimes make the computer restart for no reason.

I agree with capriceman back up your files and start fresh. Windows gets crapped up pretty quick even on higher end systems its best to get a fresh copy of windows installed. I restore my computer at least 3 times a year and its not outdated either. 3.2ghz overclocked 768 ram and a decent 128mb video card. Give it a try theres nothing to loose. And if you decide to upgrade, the desktop could be done very cheap ordering parts off tigerdirect . You could even start with a barebone system and then just pick out some other things to add on.

Edited by Buickfosure

Z: Admittedly, a laptop isn't essential but it would make life a hell of a lot easier (and less boring) for me. And I'm getting tired of being tethered to one spot to use my computer at home or otherwise.

Caprice, Buick: I have to level with you. I'm extremely impatient/lazy on this issue. I've done the "build-it-yourself" route before. That's how my current desktop came to be. Fun when I first did it, but this time I just want something out of the box for a change. And trust me when I say this thing is not worth restoring. I want something totally brand new.

Thanks for the input, so far. ^_^

Do you do some heavy duty stuff (e.g. compiling or 3D rendering), or play games and want to run the game at maximum resolution?

If not, a Thinkpad T60 or midsize Asus laptop (G1, A8) may fit your needs, and can replace both the desktop and the laptop. I've used both Thinkpads and Asus laptops, I have an Asus M5 myself, and assigned a Thinkpad T42 at work. Both of them are decent quality and speed is excellent.

Here's one that I think should good for you:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91775

Toni: That laptop looks good but it's way out of my price range.

I've pretty much decided on getting a new notebook now and there's one more question I have:

Is there an appreciable speed difference between a Pentium Dual Core processor (in this case a T2060) and a Core 2 Duo processor (the entry level/slowest one)? I'm not looking for an absolute powerhouse but I don't want to find myself yearning for more power down the line.

Pentium Duo Core is an OEM-only (read: "fleet-only" in car terms) neutered version of the Core Duo with cache stripped off, and in turn Core Duo is two old Pentium M cores stuck together. Core 2 Duo is the new Merom core. Supposingly the Core 2 is designed from ground up, and has better power specifications, i.e. better battery life and performance.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2_Duo#Merom

Edited by ToniCipriani

Pentium Duo Core is an OEM-only (read: "fleet-only" in car terms) neutered version of the Core Duo with cache stripped off, and in turn Core Duo is two old Pentium M cores stuck together. Core 2 Duo is the new Merom core. Supposingly the Core 2 is designed from ground up, and has better power specifications, i.e. better battery life and performance.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2_Duo#Merom

Thanks for the info. I made my decision yesterday and didn't end up with a Intel-powered rig at all as it turned out. The notebook I orginally wanted was sold out everywhere. So I chose this: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=15901

Also, if you're on a budget, you might want to keep an eye out for closeout stock Thinkpads. They're very high quality laptops and should last pretty long. There's this guy who sells open-box ones for decent prices on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.ca/ThinkPadWorld

You might want to look for a T43 or a lower spec T60, which should be cheap and quick.

Z: Admittedly, a laptop isn't essential but it would make life a hell of a lot easier (and less boring) for me. And I'm getting tired of being tethered to one spot to use my computer at home or otherwise.

Caprice, Buick: I have to level with you. I'm extremely impatient/lazy on this issue. I've done the "build-it-yourself" route before. That's how my current desktop came to be. Fun when I first did it, but this time I just want something out of the box for a change. And trust me when I say this thing is not worth restoring. I want something totally brand new.

Thanks for the input, so far. ^_^

our computer situations are so similar right now it's scary. i have a near death computer, which is running like hell. I have built all my computers in the past. this time, i don't want to deal with that. I too must decide laptop or desktop or both. i really want apples but my pocketbook cannot swing two new apples with good specs. so i may be forced to settle again for a windows box.

my computer has been shutting down on its own twice daily on average for quite awhile now. My two hard drives are basically completely full. The computer is 3 1/2 years old so it is ready to be replaced. Its so hosed up I can't rip to itunes nor can i even burn cd's or dvd's without it shutting down or locking up, or just refusing to do it.

o-max has a couple laptops i might bite on this week and save up a bit longer for an apple desktop later....or splurge now on a cheap laptop and desktop. but i would like something that won't be out of spec in one year. they have an acer laptop for 599 this week and couple nice HP's including one with 17" and lightscribe and 2gb of ram for 1049.

CC has a decent compaq desktop for about 500 this week but it lacks many A/V features I want. but it has 250gb hdd and vista and lightscribe, which would do me for now i guess.

some laptops now have bluetooth and even a few with HDMI out (which would hook up nicely to my new plasma tv).

Computers. They suck.

Edited by regfootball

my computer has been shutting down on its own twice daily on average for quite awhile now. My two hard drives are basically completely full. The computer is 3 1/2 years old so it is ready to be replaced. Its so hosed up I can't rip to itunes nor can i even burn cd's or dvd's without it shutting down or locking up, or just refusing to do it.

Thats a easy fix put all important files on some cds

get the windows CD and insert restart computer

something should come up and say Petition hard drive and install os.

yes you have lost everything but your computer wont crash anymore.

It returns it to like the day you bought it.

I have the same issues you have about every 6 months my computer restarts or freezes and is really slow. Then i reinstall windows and bam everything is fine. I do it so much since i need a fast computer i bought a external hard drive to put my music and important photos or documents on it so i don't loose them when i refresh my computer.

Trust me after you own a apple for more than a year it does the same thing its the nature of a hard drive.

You guys make a big deal about it the process takes about 1 hour and to go through and reinstall the printer and update windows only takes a couple hours or update it every day.

even if you keep your computer for another 6 months its worth it to do to make it bearable.