Consider a Venture?

daves87rs

It's an idea I'm considering (as are my parents)

My dad has a 2003 base Venture, which is in pretty good shape (about 50k on it)

My mom plans on getting an Arcadia this spring, and my dad plans on taking the her Astro, due to the fact he just not happy

with his Venture.

It doesn't have issues, as my dad simply doesn't care for it any more.

They were considering trading it in for the Arcadia, but they are going to get killed on trade in, as these vans can be had pretty cheap around here. (I've found more than a few near new under 10k)

I figure if they are going to take a hit (not really, it's almost paid off), why not sell it to their son?

I'd be looking at around 3 grand, and use the "parent" payment plan too. :AH-HA_wink:

By the time I'd get it it would have around 60k, not too bad.

It would come in handy when we go house shopping, go to Lowe's/HD, haul people and our dogs, and fit my hockey stuff

(as soon as I can play again :thumbsup: )

What do you guys think?

Granted the Ventures have lots of issues..Would it be worth it?

Then I'd no longer be wagon boy, just minivan dude.... :pbjtime:

Aside from the intake gasket and bolt issue, which will have to be fixed if it hasn't already, and general build quality that's not so great and leaves them full of rattles and such, they're still generally strong vans and quite nice to drive.

Beyond that...PLEASE stop calling the Acadia the "Arcadia"...reminds me of an older aunt & uncle who actually still call the Venture the "Ventura" no matter how many times I correct them. 8)

Well, the Venture is definitely not GM's crowning achievement. I despise the design of the interior, the rear seat rattles like all get-out (50/50 split bench, the work of the devil, I swear to you), the seats can be uncomfortable during long trips, there's no tachometer (stupid cost-cutting move, thank you GM), and we have had 2 major problems with it (see here for more on our most recent, the other was replacing something in the rear of the van, I don't recall exactly what it was). However, the Venture scores big time in functionality. It has quite a cavernous interior with good room all around. The 3.4L V6, IMO, is nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be in terms of power--the engine note is very pleasant (floor it, you'll see), it has abundant pull, and it's good on gas. The 4T65E shifts smoothly, it rides nice, handles good for what it is, has excellent ergonomics, and is pleasant-looking.

For $3K, I'd say go for it. But be sure to get the hoses, battery terminals, and the intake manifold get checked soon, just so you don't end up stranded.

My sister has a 1998 with about 70,000 miles. It needed a steering rack when she first bought it with 39,000 miles but other than that it has been great. I would recomend a Venture over a Grand Caravan any day. At least the Venture doesnt strand you 3 times in 2 weeks the way the Grand Caravan did for my sister.

Quote: "My brother and his wife got 120,000 care free miles out of their Silhouette before trading it off for their prius." Wow. There's a testimonial. "Honey, our GM van has been great, let's go buy a Toyota." Sort of like the customer the other day who declared that while their 1996 Cavalier (with 220k km) has been perfect, they will only look at the Corolla this time around. It is almost enough to drive me to drink! There is a logic loop there.

If you are talking about the Venture Valu Van that was being passed around back in '01 thru '03, I personally don't like them (vinyl seats, no armrests, no power windows, etc.) but mechanically they were fine. GM tried to take the high road against the Caravan by providing ABS and side air bags but no power windows or mirrors. Chrysler trounced our sales handily in that low end segment, proving once again: safety doesn't sell. People will pay for power windows or a built in blow dryer, but not ABS, side air bags or OnStar to save their life. Sigh. But I digress.

In this market, loaded Ventures can be had for half the price of a Sienna which represents a true value, IMO.

Quote: "My brother and his wife got 120,000 care free miles out of their Silhouette before trading it off for their prius." Wow. There's a testimonial. "Honey, our GM van has been great, let's go buy a Toyota." Sort of like the customer the other day who declared that while their 1996 Cavalier (with 220k km) has been perfect, they will only look at the Corolla this time around. It is almost enough to drive me to drink! There is a logic loop there.

If you are talking about the Venture Valu Van that was being passed around back in '01 thru '03, I personally don't like them (vinyl seats, no armrests, no power windows, etc.) but mechanically they were fine. GM tried to take the high road against the Caravan by providing ABS and side air bags but no power windows or mirrors. Chrysler trounced our sales handily in that low end segment, proving once again: safety doesn't sell. People will pay for power windows or a built in blow dryer, but not ABS, side air bags or OnStar to save their life. Sigh. But I digress.

In this market, loaded Ventures can be had for half the price of a Sienna which represents a true value, IMO.

If you do... Don't wreck it. You might die. :P

:lol:

For the price It seems like a good deal. It's better looking (outside) than an Uplander at least. I'd never choose one over a Caravan, but you can probably get a good payment plan on the Venture :P Minivans may not be cool but few things are more flexible. It'll serve you well.

Aside from the intake gasket and bolt issue, which will have to be fixed if it hasn't already, and general build quality that's not so great and leaves them full of rattles and such, they're still generally strong vans and quite nice to drive.

Beyond that...PLEASE stop calling the Acadia the "Arcadia"...reminds me of an older aunt & uncle who actually still call the Venture the "Ventura" no matter how many times I correct them. 8)

Sorry, you'd think I'd remember how to spell it...I can be annoying with that.... :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah-it's pretty base. It has power locks/windows. I'm pretty sure it has Abs too...

I'm surprised how cheap you can get them...and they tend to be a little less problem free than the Caravans..

For the situation you're in, and they price you are getting, I'd say go for it. Its a good price for what your getting and the miles, and I'm over 100000 on my 3.4 and it still holds coolant with no problem, so no head gasket issues yet. The 3.4 isn't really that bad of an engine. It gets me from A to B and gets great gas mileage on the highway. (Not so great mpg it town, but that is more the way I drive than anything else.)

If you were dealer shopping I would definately recommend a Carivan. My Mom has been driving vans for work since 97. She got a 97 Carivan that was definately the nicest minivan she has had to date. Very comfortable and nice to drive. It made it to 17xxxx with no major problems before they got her a 2000 Venture in 2001. She got it with 60000 or so and it made it to about 130000 (i think) before the head gasket went. It went another 40000 before they got her an astro in 2003. I think the only other problem it had was the power steering pump going out, but things like that are to be expected. It was a decent van that did whatever it was asked to.

For the situation you're in, and they price you are getting, I'd say go for it. Its a good price for what your getting and the miles, and I'm over 100000 on my 3.4 and it still holds coolant with no problem, so no head gasket issues yet. The 3.4 isn't really that bad of an engine. It gets me from A to B and gets great gas mileage on the highway. (Not so great mpg it town, but that is more the way I drive than anything else.)

If you were dealer shopping I would definately recommend a Carivan. My Mom has been driving vans for work since 97. She got a 97 Carivan that was definately the nicest minivan she has had to date. Very comfortable and nice to drive. It made it to 17xxxx with no major problems before they got her a 2000 Venture in 2001. She got it with 60000 or so and it made it to about 130000 (i think) before the head gasket went. It went another 40000 before they got her an astro in 2003. I think the only other problem it had was the power steering pump going out, but things like that are to be expected. It was a decent van that did whatever it was asked to.

It's interesing you say that-the few people I kmow with these vans are all over 100k, and seem to be doing ok.

Maybe it's a good sign...