College prices WTF?????

capriceman

Yeah so I have to go back to take a couple new course because theres new technology. And i was pricing it out. Holy $h!!! How can people even afford college? with what it cost.

I should just take those tech classes and gym class so i can get my bachelors and get paid more! But I really dont care. To take some classes from lawerence tech will cost my over a grand. Macomb doesnt offer them yet.

I thought about going to the US for university when I was applying. Then I realized what the tuition costs. Here, engineering at a good school was CAD$6000 a year. In the US for a comparable university (I remember one of the U Californias being in there, but not which one), was US$25,000 a year.... hmmm, where am I going to go?

Even for international students, with no subsidies from the Canadian government our tuition is still around CAD$20,000 a year. That's why several international students I talked to at my school chose Canada instead of the US for schooling.

<drawl>Keep those foreigners out know, ya hear?</drawl>

It's no longer worth going to college on a multitude of levels.

That's BS. Sorry, but there is very little to support that. Adjust the college prices for inflation, and you will see they are largely similar. The only thing that HAS changed, is that the cheaper community colleges have improved a lot. Of course, with that cost reduction you lose brand recognition of your degree. College isn't just the classes--student life is a big part of it, and frankly $40,000 is a bargain for the lifelong friends I've made and the total blast I'm having.

Tuition is not really that bad here because I'm in state, but the added cost of housing really makes it look expensive. It would actually be less than $8k/year if I wasn't in engineering (which is $3500/year more because of lab use, etc.) I think my housing is close to $10k/year, which is sort of ridiculous considering I could just live at home (7 min car ride away) and save the $10k.

Community colleges are certainly a good way to go to save money. I am taking a class online at the community college and it's only like $270 for the 3 hour course (books are extra). So, if you say the costs for books is $500, and you want to take 15 hours, the cost would only be $1850 for a semester of college.

As for raise in prices... my tuition is fixed for the full 4 years. Meaning what I pay now is what I pay for the whole time.

Luckily my grandparents bought me a ton of college bonds to help pay for tuition, and my dad is paying for the extra.

I really don't want to take them. But then I would be out of work.

Should I go to GMI and hang out with NOS and Schuby?

Yeah This sucks i need to have the classes done by next year April since we are getting all new Technology and machines. For some reason they wont let us hack away at them until we get it right. Damn.

I thought about going to the US for university when I was applying. Then I realized what the tuition costs. Here, engineering at a good school was CAD$6000 a year. In the US for a comparable university (I remember one of the U Californias being in there, but not which one), was US$25,000 a year.... hmmm, where am I going to go?

Even for international students, with no subsidies from the Canadian government our tuition is still around CAD$20,000 a year. That's why several international students I talked to at my school chose Canada instead of the US for schooling.

<drawl>Keep those foreigners out know, ya hear?</drawl>

The Cal Poly's (Cal. State. Poly. U. Pomona, and San Luis Obispo) are excellent schools for Engineering, and they are "cheap." Tuition was ~US$ 2,000 when I attended Cal Poly Pomona from '98-'03. I'm currently working on my Ph.D. at a UC, and I can tell you from first hand experience with undergraduate programs at CSU's and UC's... The Cal Poly's offer a better "real-world" Engineering program.

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Cal Poly Pomona, 2003

M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, UCSD, 2005

Ph.D. in Dynamic Systems and Contro, UCSD, ?

Cool, do you want to be a professor if you're going for your Ph.D? I hope to have a B.S. in ME from U of Ill in 2010 and a minor in business as well, and perhaps go for my M.S. in ME (2011). How difficult would you say the engineering classes are compared to say, Calc 2 and the science courses? I've only had one engineering class so far (CAD) and it was really easy, but the first half was basically following instructions out of the book, and the second part was just using what I learned in the first half to make more parts including a big design project at the end.

I know nobody asked, but in case anybody cares - me:

2005 BEng, Software Engineering, McMaster University.

Is BEng Bioengineering? One of my suite mates is in that, sounds difficult with all the Orgo Chem you have to take.

Cool, do you want to be a professor if you're going for your Ph.D? I hope to have a B.S. in ME from U of Ill in 2010 and a minor in business as well, and perhaps go for my M.S. in ME (2011). How difficult would you say the engineering classes are compared to say, Calc 2 and the science courses? I've only had one engineering class so far (CAD) and it was really easy, but the first half was basically following instructions out of the book, and the second part was just using what I learned in the first half to make more parts including a big design project at the end.

I'll probably end up being a professor and (hopefully) working in industry. My old advisor at Cal Poly has already said he wants me to come back and teach, so I don't have to worry much about that. It's more a matter of who, in industry, will hire me. I'm currently working with the Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, so I might spend a couple years there after I'm done with the Ph.D. to get "real-world" experience.

As far as ME classes go... I'de say the better you understand Calc and physics now (not just pass the classes... really, really understand) the easier the ME classes will be. But, there will still be classes like Dynamics that can kick your ass.

Are you required to take a Linear Algebra class? I'd suggest taking one...

Is BEng Bioengineering? One of my suite mates is in that, sounds difficult with all the Orgo Chem you have to take.

I think that means Bachelors degree in Engineering, as opposed to Science.

I'll probably end up being a professor and (hopefully) working in industry. My old advisor at Cal Poly has already said he wants me to come back and teach, so I don't have to worry much about that. It's more a matter of who, in industry, will hire me. I'm currently working with the Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, so I might spend a couple years there after I'm done with the Ph.D. to get "real-world" experience.

As far as ME classes go... I'de say the better you understand Calc and physics now (not just pass the classes... really, really understand) the easier the ME classes will be. But, there will still be classes like Dynamics that can kick your ass.

Are you required to take a Linear Algebra class? I'd suggest taking one...

I think that means Bachelors degree in Engineering, as opposed to Science.

Yeah, how do you end up with a BS from Engineering anyways? I don't think that's possible in Canada...

Yeah, I have to take a Linear Algebra class. Physics I understand pretty well, but Calc 2 is a pain. My professor is crazy (explains something new that we've never seen before, then says, "ok so this easy right?" umm, no, oh course not dummy, we don't have any idea what you're talking about. I have a B- in it (almost B) even though I did terribly on the first test, but because I did better than the average I have a higher than average grade.

How important is Chemistry? It bores me to death and even though I have a B or B- in it too but I don't feel very motivated to learn it because I think it's dumb... right now we're doing cell potentials, reaction mechanisms, differential and integrated rate laws. I have no idea why I would need to know any of this later on, as it all seems like it would all just be available in some directory about them if I actually needed to do use this stuff.

Yeah, how do you end up with a BS from Engineering anyways? I don't think that's possible in Canada...

That never occured to me... I have heard of M.Eng., but not B.Eng. Anyway... I got one.

Yeah, I have to take a Linear Algebra class. Physics I understand pretty well, but Calc 2 is a pain. My professor is crazy (explains something new that we've never seen before, then says, "ok so this easy right?" umm, no, oh course not dummy, we don't have any idea what you're talking about. I have a B- in it (almost B) even though I did terribly on the first test, but because I did better than the average I have a higher than average grade.

How important is Chemistry? It bores me to death and even though I have a B or B- in it too but I don't feel very motivated to learn it because I think it's dumb... right now we're doing cell potentials, reaction mechanisms, differential and integrated rate laws. I have no idea why I would need to know any of this later on, as it all seems like it would all just be available in some directory about them if I actually needed to do use this stuff.

Here are a few things I can remember that were important to learn from Physics, since you would apply them in ME classes...

• Statics, Sum of Forces = 0 etc. Get used to working with vectors and all the geometry/trig that goes along with them
  • Kinetics, concepts of moving objects
  • Simple electric circuits, KVL, KCL
  • Concepts of kinetic and potential energy, their balance etc.
And, as far as Calculus goes...
  • Taking derivatives
  • Vector Calculus. Very important, if your curriculum includes 3D dynamics
  • Basics of Integration
  • Solving differential equations (mostly for first and second order systems)
Physics and parts of Calculus will touch on the fundamentals of lots of future ME classes, like... Statics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Fluids...

As far as Chemistry goes... um... well... just get it over with, and you shouldn't have to worry about it in the future. At least I didn't. But I also didn't take tech. electives that would have required it.

Cap-I know how ya feel..and the prices keep going up....

I want to go back to school-But I simply can't afford it.

And loans are a no-no because of my rough last few years...I can't afford any more debt. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I find a better job soon...I miss school (never thought I'd say that) :thumbsup:

Even if it means getting the hell out of Michigan... :pokeowned:

It's no longer worth going to college on a multitude of levels.

like how unions are the devil to? If you don't go to college I predict a bad future for you. Unless you work for a family business, can predict the stock market, or your a glorified trust fund baby.

I spent time on two campuses today getting a few loose ends tied up, and while I've gotten used to the prices, one thing I cant get used to is being "old." I was standing in line (ironically to pay money for something) and I was the only person within 50 feet who could buy their own alcohol.