Camaro V8

Jethro

Hi Guys,

first time posting on Cheers and Gears, read it all the time. Went to the Detroit Auto Show, kinda dissapointed in the Camaro convertible, love the coupe though. What's the rumor on the V8 offering? 6.0L only or will it get a 5.3L as a base V8 with a 6.0L as optional?

- Jethro

Thanks Schuby,

Didn't realize there was a whole Camaro page. I'm struggling to grab onto the 2 V6's and one monster V8 idea. Doesn't make sense to me. I like the Mustang approach. A single V6 for people who like the style of the car, but don't need the power. A mid-range V8 which is fine for most drivers (including me) which also keeps my insurance premiums affordable, and then a premium V8 for the guys who are willing to pay for it. I don't know that I buy what Ed Peper is selling.

Thanks Schuby,

Didn't realize there was a whole Camaro page. I'm struggling to grab onto the 2 V6's and one monster V8 idea. Doesn't make sense to me. I like the Mustang approach. A single V6 for people who like the style of the car, but don't need the power. A mid-range V8 which is fine for most drivers (including me) which also keeps my insurance premiums affordable, and then a premium V8 for the guys who are willing to pay for it. I don't know that I buy what Ed Peper is selling.

Agreed... a V6 with about 250 hp, a standard V8 with 300 hp (SS trim?) , and a high-end V8 with 400 hp (Z-28 trim?) makes sense...

I say there will three V8s... maybe not in the 1st model year, but eventually.

Well you can bank on the power output will be more than the Mustang in every comparable class.

The V6 will 260-275 HP min with the V8 being in the low 430 HP to a limited edition model later with more than the Cobras 500 HP.

Lutz will require this car to lead in HP against the Mustang and it will also help cover the extras weight added by keep the price low.

The new line of engines we have yet to see will move the Chevy V8 to the next level in performance and economy.

It will be very important that the Camaro is the leader in this class and not follow the Mustang in any catagory.

The base Camaro needs to be affordable, and that includes inexpensive insurance, so I don't think it would be wise for the base V6 Camaro to have over 225 hp. I have no problem with the base model having the 3.5 or 3.9 with around 225 hp, a mid level with a 275 hp 3.6, and a 400 hp 6.0L V8.

Besides, the odds of higher CAFE standards increase by the day.

The base Camaro needs to be affordable, and that includes inexpensive insurance, so I don't think it would be wise for the base V6 Camaro to have over 225 hp. I have no problem with the base model having the 3.5 or 3.9 with around 225 hp, a mid level with a 275 hp 3.6, and a 400 hp 6.0L V8.

Besides, the odds of higher CAFE standards increase by the day.

I just question a 3600-3700 pound car with 225 HP when you have most FWD sedan running around with no less than 250-260 HP anymore.

I want like think my wifes V6 GP will be out run by a V6 Camaro. The Ford 500 sales are already paying the price of over weight and under powered and it is not even considered a sporting car.

If near or at 275 hP I would consider a V6 Anything less than 260 HP no way in a Camaro. That is like the 2.5 4 banger or 2.8 V6 from 1982. They could not give them away. Too much weight too little power this is not a economy car.

I'd say the Camaro should have the 3.6L 252hp V-6 from the Malibu, a 5.3L 320hp V-8 from the Tahoe, a 7.0L 505hp V-8 from the Corvette for the SS model.(or a blown 6.0L)

This allows the Camaro to lead te hp wars with the V-6 and V-8 and to mach the Shelby Mustang in horsepower.

Edited by carman21

the base Camaro will have the 3.9L OHV V6 from the current Impala/Pontiac G6.. it will produce 245 hp. next up will be the 5.3L OHV V8, this will be simular to the one used in the current Impala SS, it will have around 330 hp.

the top Camaro will be powered by a 6.2L OHV V8 with somewhere between 405-425 hp.. the V8's will feature displacement on demand technology, and the 5.3L will be able to run on E85..

first year, it'll be a 3.9L v6 making close to 250hp, priced around the same as a base v6 mustang

and there will be a 6.2L v8 making close to 450hp, priced around the same as a base Mustang GT

and there will be a 3.6L, Direct Injected, DOHC v6 making over 300hp, priced somewhere between the above

one or two years later, there will be a V8 making over 500hp, priced a bit less than a Shelby GT500

mark my words

first year, it'll be a 3.9L v6 making close to 250hp, priced around the same as a base v6 mustang

and there will be a 6.2L v8 making close to 450hp, priced around the same as a base Mustang GT

and there will be a 3.6L, Direct Injected, DOHC v6 making over 300hp, priced somewhere between the above

one or two years later, there will be a V8 making over 500hp, priced a bit less than a Shelby GT500

mark my words

Assuming this is the case... It makes it a tough choice between going for the V8, because it's just gotta have one to be a musclecar. Or going for the V6 with DI, which should have enough power to get the job done.

mark my words

A base Mustang GT has 300 hp...I can't see Chevy selling a V8 model with 50% more power for about the same price...I just don't see it happening... maybe a 300 hp Camaro and 450 hp top-end model, though..

I wonder if Chevy will resurrect some of the old Camaro trim levels... Z-28, SS, RS, maybe?

Edited by moltar

Gotta love these threads, so much speculation. :P

I still say the time is perfect for a modern day BOP 215 with D.O.D.

THAT'S by far the best win/win scenario regarding fuel economy,

torque/horsepoerpower, smoothness & weight savings.

The one fact we can depend on is the Fbodfather has already made it clear the LS2 will not be in the car. It looks like some form of the LS3 will be yor engine.

He also said HP would help make up any problems of weight as the car will have a 5 star rating and not use a lot of expensive materials to lighten the load as they would drive up cost.

I think it is safe to expect at leat 400+ HP in a V8. Imagine the crys if it does not best the 327 HP the SS made in the 4th gen.

The new Camaro will have to be faster than the Mustang but also it's any 4th Gen built.