Do you have a mantra?

knightfan26917

No, I'm not talking about your favorite lyrics or quotes ... I'm talking about your mantra ... your "instrument of thought". That is, do you have a saying that you use to inspire you? Or, maybe you have a phrase that you use to explain things ... or, perhaps, just to entertain yourself and others ... or, perhaps, to use as an ice breaker or comedic relief?

I ask because, I've seen and heard more and more mantras from various people ... and I'm curious if this is something that we all do, even subconsciously....

My mantra, given to me a few years ago by a good friend, is:

"Irony rocks".

So, if you have a mantra, what is yours?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I've always seen myself as a hopeless romantic" ... Gary Morris & Crystal Gayle ... 'Another World'

"Too much is better than not enough"

"Do onto others as you would have them do onto you..."

"If it wasn't for bad luck I would not have ANY at all"

Hmm, I don't know if I can really put it into a single short phrase, but an overall feeling I have that I consider to be my mantra is honesty and to try and be there for my friends in whatever way I can if they need me, and that (ego-oriented part here) I can do anything I really want.

So, let's see, some of the phrases I have that can go with this include:

"I am never a fair weather friend. I play for keeps."

"Sometimes the truth hurts."

"I don't call myself amazing for nothing."

I'm sure there are other itmes/statements, but I do not recall them as of right now.

Edited by MyerShift

*chuckles*

I guess "Irony rocks" isn't my only one.... Another notable one for me is "This, too, shall pass."

*sighs*

I suppose I could think of others, too ... but, don't want to take away anyone's contribution ;).

SS623,

I hear that one a lot from people who are trying to cheer up people who are having a "blah" day or week. Never quite understood why people use that one for those cases, since, as you noted, it sounds more pessimistic than anything ;).

And, MS ... love these 2 of yours:

"I am never a fair weather friend. I play for keeps."

"Sometimes the truth hurts."

...I definitely identify with the first one. I am a "fierce friend" ;). As for the second one ... all too true.

"Wake me up inside" ... Evanescence ... 'Bring Me To Life'

Since I've been accused of being philosophical, I have several (so here's my top 5):

"Who cares what other people think?" (it took me a while to get here)

"He who lives by the sword perishes by the sword."

"There's a lot of truth in jest." (so that sexual innuendo isn't so much of a joke, it's probably real)

"A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush."

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."

"predict the unexpected and expect the unpredictable"

-Self

"hope springs eternal" :P

"Who cares what other people think?" (it took me a while to get here)

Took me a long time to even start to get to this one. I'm good now, MOST of the time ;).

And, Sixty8 ... Cubs fans WELL know "Hope springs eternal" ... he he.

"It's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'

My answer when people tell me they need something. " I have a lot of needs too but not all of my needs are being met. However I have come to accept that fact and when everyone else does too the world will be a better place".

Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

yes there is a mantra above my fireplace

*chuckles*

I'm not sure I want to know ;).

But, isn't that mantel?

*shrugs*

Darned if I know....

;)

"It's hard to slow this swinger down" ... Eric Heatherly ... 'Flowers On The Wall'

heh... I just got off the phone with a old friend of mine. It was terrible news because who calls at midnight. but any way we got into talking and remembering. Then i remeber a "literal" phrase we would say as if in a chant back around 89-95 ish we use to say "let the bodies hit the ground, man" Which then a song came out later let the bodies hit the floor. Its funny how life plays out sometimes. I should write a book about my life and call it "The Life of Caprice driving gangsta." Great Now i have to make those phone calls at 12:30 to people and tell them news.

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Mine is similar: Prepare for the worst, and you have the best made (covered).

It's better to keep your mouth closed and have people think you're a fool than to open it and prove them right.

x2

---------

A few others:

"Always surround yourself with people who are smarter and more successful so you can learn from them."

-

"Life is a bowl of cherries, but I'm looking for nuts."

-

"Seek loyalty. Avoid trust."

Two that I try to live by:

"Remember two things: 1, don't sweat the small stuff. and 2, it's all small stuff."

And my favorite:

"Nobody has to look for trouble."

"Frank the Tank, Frank the Tank..."

Oh wait, that doesn't count, does it?

I've always liked the line "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it is yours; if it doesn't, it never was." I've thought about that many times in my life...

"Remember two things: 1, don't sweat the small stuff. and 2, it's all small stuff."

Ah....if only it were that easy to see EVERYTHING as small stuff.

Sadly, some things (like surgery) don't seem all that small ... heh :(.

"I must be lonely" ... Matchbox 20 ... '3 am'

"Reality is one long, on-going conflict, rife with uncertainty. Your life is a part of this struggle. You are provided with the concepts of right and wrong, and though you may question the details, you generally accept them. Certain parts of your life---people, objects, events, sensations---may give rise to a belief that the good is worth the struggle, and that it must prevail. However, tread lightly: those life aspects that give you reason to have faith of any kind may end up being the very artillery capable of destroying it. Be careful in what---or more importantly, who]---you trust. Do not get caught up in the ecstasy that is blind faith..."

Edited by ichbinjohnk

Ah, yes ... be patient.

Sadly, I am so not patient. I'm better than I used to be, but the pacemaker replacement surgery that is coming up in a week or so is wearing down on that patience ... he he!

"Time is a friend" ... Reba McEntire ... 'Is There Life Out There?'

but the pacemaker replacement surgery that is coming up in a week or so is wearing down on that patience

Hope everything goes all right man!

What are they doing putting a more better one in or is the current one just too old or something? Fill us in.

Hope everything goes all right man!

*nods*

Thank you, capriceman!

What are they doing putting a more better one in or is the current one just too old or something? Fill us in.

They are replacing my original one (put in, Jan 2003) because the battery is basically dead. They will also move the location from my abdomin to right underneath my collar bone, where it will be visible :(.

I haven't posted about this much yet ... even on my heart forums ... because, I'm none too happy about some turn of events, and as such, if I did post, I'd be giving people ammunition to claim that my "evil twin" was coming back ... and I don't want to do that. When/if I'm ready, I will certainly post more details....

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

Pork, it's what's for dinner!

Sadly, I am so not patient. I'm better than I used to be, but the pacemaker replacement surgery that is coming up in a week or so is wearing down on that patience ... he he!

It's not one of my virtues either but getting paid every month helps me control my impatience, hehe

I'm sure all will go well with the pacemaker surgery.

understood.

*nods*

Thank you :).

It's not one of my virtues either but getting paid every month helps me control my impatience, hehe

I'm sure all will go well with the pacemaker surgery.

Thanks ... I hope it does :).

As for getting paid ... yeah, I can see how that DOES help control some impatience ... but certainly not all ... he he ;).

"Not sure if I shoulda put it in writing" ... Chely Wright ... 'Single White Female'