98,000 Chevy Cobalt sedans Recalled

SoCalCTS

San Diego Union Tribune / Sign On San Diego news story

General Motors recalling 98,000 Chevy Cobalt sedans

ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:12 a.m. January 24, 2007

WASHINGTON – General Motors Corp. said Wednesday it was recalling about 100,000 Chevrolet Cobalt small sedans to upgrade head impact protection.

GM said the recall affects 98,707 vehicles from the 2005-2006 model years that are not equipped with optional roof-mounted side impact air bags. The issue was discovered during compliance testing.

There have been no injuries related to the recall. GM spokesman Alan Adler said the head impact protection would only be an issue for motorists not wearing a seat belt. Belted motorists would not be affected, he said.

Dealers will install energy absorbing plastic to the area, the company said. Owners can contact Chevrolet at (800) 630-2438.

Guest YellowJacket894

I guess I'll be the one to point out that the press is going to have a field day over this when Toyota recalled -- oh, I don't know. Say around 402,000 more cars recently?

This recall is nowhere near as bad as Toyota's recent one was. 1/5 less vehicles being recalled, no injuries due to the problem, and, oh yeah, would only be an issue for people disobeying the law by not wearing seatbelts. The press would look like complete fools to cry foul over something like this.

The fix is already in the owner's manual. You know, the page that says "Always wear your seat belt".

Still, a good CYA move by GM. It's nice to know they care about stupid people too.

I suppose if I were calling the shots, I wouldn't have worried about this.

I am of the persuasion that if you do not wear your safety belt (especially since it is basically required most places) you deserve to die. Period.

They shouldn't have called it because if some one died in a car crash and tried to blame it on this. GM can pull the passenger not wearing the seat belt flag. You cant beat that.

Hopefully people take it as a Recall to improve your safety not poor quality.

The fix is already in the owner's manual. You know, the page that says "Always wear your seat belt".

Still, a good CYA move by GM. It's nice to know they care about stupid people too.

GM did not have a choice in the matter. Also, the GM spokesmans comments are not entirely truthful.

http://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/Artemis...07V014-1242.pdf

Recalls Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

CHEVROLET / COBALT 2005-2006

Recall Number: 07V014000

Summary:

CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH OPTIONAL ROOF-MOUNTED SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 201, 'OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.'

Consequence:

IN A CRASH, HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION MAY BE INADEQUATE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL ENERGY ABSORBING PLASTIC TO THE HEADLINER TRIM TO REDUCE THE SEVERITY OF HEAD IMPACTS IN A CRASH. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 06217. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Edited by evok

I guess I'll be the one to point out that the press is going to have a field day over this when Toyota recalled -- oh, I don't know. Say around 402,000 more cars recently?

You could do that... or you could actually wait and see if it is true or if you would just be perpetuating a myth.

Google News Cobalt Recall Search

Google News Tundra Recall Search

Still early for the Cobalt recall, but the count is 307 for the Tundra and 110 for the Cobalt.

Some headlines:

"Huge Recall a Setback for Toyota in the US"

"Toyota Recall Threatens Quality Reputation"

"Another Huge US Recall for Toyota Trucks"

I don't know how it will end up, but I suspect that the recalls will be covered appropriately. In Toyota's case it will also spawn a number of "Toyota Quality Failing" articles which incorrectly try to draw broad assumptions of overall quality based on recall counts (it is happening already). So perhaps the exact opposite of what you posted will be true?

So, let me get this straight - if you are driving your Cobalt down the road and an oncoming Tundra or Sequoa decides to veer into your lane and hit you at the 248 degree angle as tested, the injuries to your head are higher than the governement's HIC count? So GM will add a new piece of trim to the car at no charge. The public is not in danger, as it is with the Toyota products, so I really see this as a Win for GM to make the fix and be done with it. Plus the cars are performing safely in all other aspects - again - unlike the Toyota. I still see the press nailing GM and not so much on the front page with Toyota, their poster child.

Ho hum.

So, let me get this straight - if you are driving your Cobalt down the road and an oncoming Tundra or Sequoa decides to veer into your lane and hit you at the 248 degree angle as tested, the injuries to your head are higher than the governement's HIC count? So GM will add a new piece of trim to the car at no charge. The public is not in danger, as it is with the Toyota products, so I really see this as a Win for GM to make the fix and be done with it. Plus the cars are performing safely in all other aspects - again - unlike the Toyota. I still see the press nailing GM and not so much on the front page with Toyota, their poster child.

Ho hum.

Using the above scenario and if a Tundra did veer into a Cobalt due to a failed suspension or ball joint, and somehow, miraculously the passengers in the cobalt only came away with a head injury--who would be more at fault? Or would it be 50/50. hmmm.

GM did not have a choice in the matter. Also, the GM spokesmans comments are not entirely truthful.

Yes, those spokespeople are a clever bunch. :lol:

It's really too bad that GM had to issue a recall over this.

No recorded injuries and anyone who gets hurt because they weren't wearing their seatbelt only has themselves to blame.

Regardless, it's great to see it at only a 1/5 scale compared to the Tundra recall.

It's really too bad that GM had to issue a recall over this.

It is really is too bad GM did not build the recalled vehicles to the regulations they are required to. In which case they would not have had to recall the vehicle because they do not meet the standards.

No recorded injuries and anyone who gets hurt because they weren't wearing their seatbelt only has themselves to blame.

It really is a shame people are that naive that they believe everything are told or choose to selectively believe what they want.

Regardless, it's great to see it at only a 1/5 scale compared to the Tundra recall.

Regardless it is only January 25, 2007. The year is still young.

Aw, Dammit.

Still... it only applies to those who don't wear seatbelts. They should have kept it under wraps... it would have been a great way to speed up natural selection.

as much as I am for natural selection, thats a horrible idea. cause , when it came out (and it would), they'd look like they were trying to cover up a safety "defect" and top of the defect itself. The media & public would LOVE that

It is really is too bad GM did not build the recalled vehicles to the regulations they are required to. In which case they would not have had to recall the vehicle because they do not meet the standards.

It really is a shame people are that naive that they believe everything are told or choose to selectively believe what they want.

Regardless it is only January 25, 2007. The year is still young.

Such the typical anti-GM response with the prerequisite arrogance thrown in.

It's as if you want GM to fail. Since when did you get on the payroll?

Anyway, some of us find it a shame that the board is still decorated with inflated egos that really don't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Such the typical anti-GM response with the prerequisite arrogance thrown in.

It's as if you want GM to fail. Since when did you get on the payroll?

Anyway, some of us find it a shame that the board is still decorated with inflated egos that really don't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

LOL....OMG.....sweetie? If we are going to talk about members on this site that dont matter....then baby....YOU are at the top of the list!

If this site was given a choice between keeping evok or you....baby you would lose and lose badly. :lol:

People NOT wearing the seatbelts are already breaking the law. Why help them?

I thougt the same... untill I read this:

http://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/Artemis...07V014-1242.pdf

Recalls Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

CHEVROLET / COBALT 2005-2006

Recall Number: 07V014000

Summary:

CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH OPTIONAL ROOF-MOUNTED SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 201, 'OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.'

Consequence:

IN A CRASH, HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION MAY BE INADEQUATE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL ENERGY ABSORBING PLASTIC TO THE HEADLINER TRIM TO REDUCE THE SEVERITY OF HEAD IMPACTS IN A CRASH. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Notes:

GM RECALL NO. 06217. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

There is a big difference between failing to meet a very very specific crash standard and your ball joints falling off.

I think memory lane is fun:

GM Recalls Nearly 200,000 Vehicles for various defects....

DETROIT (AP) (2/10/05) -- GM also is recalling 17,815 Buick Raniers, Chevrolet Trailblazers, GMC Envoys and Isuzu Ascenders from the 2005 model years because the windshield could fall out in a crash. Adler said certain humidity levels can loosen the adhesive used to bond the windshild to metal, which can increase the chances of the windshield popping out of its frame in a crash.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- (October 28, 2005) General Motors Corp. said Friday it was recalling about 100,000 sport utility vehicles in 20 northern states because corrosion can affect latches on the two backseat doors, potentially allowing the doors to open while the vehicle is being driven.

The recall involves the 2002-2003 models of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL and the 2003 model of the Isuzu Ascender

Oh - Last but not least. This was my favorite.

2002 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

Recall Date: 04/12/2001

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BRACKETS MAY FRACTURE. THIS FRACTURE COULD RESULT IN SEPARATION OF THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM FROM THE FRAME.

Consequence:

A SEPARATION COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, RESULTING IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BRACKETS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN BY TELEPHONE ON APRIL 4, 2001. THE FOLLOWUP LETTER TO CONSUMERS WAS MAILED MAY 3, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537, OR GMC AT 1-800-462-8782.

Potential Units Affected: 30476

Notes: CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 01034

I can go on all day with this if you want to continue with this stupid discussion.

Edited by evok

I think memory lane is fun:

GM Recalls Nearly 200,000 Vehicles for various defects....

DETROIT (AP) (2/10/05) -- GM also is recalling 17,815 Buick Raniers, Chevrolet Trailblazers, GMC Envoys and Isuzu Ascenders from the 2005 model years because the windshield could fall out in a crash. Adler said certain humidity levels can loosen the adhesive used to bond the windshild to metal, which can increase the chances of the windshield popping out of its frame in a crash.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- (October 28, 2005) General Motors Corp. said Friday it was recalling about 100,000 sport utility vehicles in 20 northern states because corrosion can affect latches on the two backseat doors, potentially allowing the doors to open while the vehicle is being driven.

The recall involves the 2002-2003 models of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL and the 2003 model of the Isuzu Ascender

Oh - Last but not least. This was my favorite.

2002 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM

Recall Date: 04/12/2001

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BRACKETS MAY FRACTURE. THIS FRACTURE COULD RESULT IN SEPARATION OF THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM FROM THE FRAME.

Consequence:

A SEPARATION COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, RESULTING IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BRACKETS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN BY TELEPHONE ON APRIL 4, 2001. THE FOLLOWUP LETTER TO CONSUMERS WAS MAILED MAY 3, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537, OR GMC AT 1-800-462-8782.

Potential Units Affected: 30476

Notes: CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 01034

I can go on all day with this if you want to continue with this stupid discussion.

I never met anyone so determined to be negative. :rolleyes:

You sure are something Evok. :lol:

Yeah Toyota still takes the crown! It is a big recall but it is NOT a huge deal.

Any car, Chevy or Toyota of Honda or Suburu or whatever will have recalls.

What counts is that G.M. seems to be trying to do the ethical thing right now and build really high quality vehicles.

Chris

Any car, Chevy or Toyota of Honda or Suburu or whatever will have recalls.

What counts is that G.M. seems to be trying to do the ethical thing right now and build really high quality vehicles.

Chris

This was a big duh. They're all trying to do the right thing - they've all tried to cover these things up in the past and paid the price as a result.

The humorous thing about the Toyota recall is it's 500k units (and even Evok's tirade didn't reflect GM numbers this high) and the fact Toyota is considered to be so infallible.... (Apparently there is a tear in the armor... )

I'm just waiting for the backlash against Toyota that's coming. I'm having a magnetic sign made up for the rear deck of my car that says "Driving a Toyota is un-American "

Personally I'm so tired of seeing that Toyota television ad that talks about how many miles these people have on their old Corollas. I'd love to have Cadillac do an ad featuring my '97 with 130K miles on it.