Barret Jackson

capriceman

The sad thing is whoever bought it will never drive it. Taking a vehicle you paid $5,000,000 for out on the road is stupid, almost as stupid as paying $5,000,000 for it in the first place.

The '54 Olds F-88 was a one-of-a-kind car, unique to its time, significant because none were made before and none were made after. It was never made available for production, never replicated as a kitcar that can be purchased and built today. If it sold for 'only' $3.2 million, whoever bought this is a dope, especially when you can buy a knockoff for, what, $25,000. Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

I love cars...but I could never justify spending that kind of money on one. Come to think of it, I couldn't spend that kind of money on any single thing. Spent wisely, $5 million could sustain you for a lifetime.

I like Barrett-Jackson for the sheer entertainment value and because there are some interesting vehicles on it, but really - nothing like a bunch of fat, old white guys sitting around, looking self-important and artificially driving up the "value" of "collector" vehicles. Talk about "piling on" mentality. This is sort of the polar opposite of Springer: instead of a bunch of Loser white folks beating on each other, we have a bunch of rich white folks who want to see themselves on camera showing off their wallets. I cannot believe the prices for some of those vehicles. Ten years ago you couldn't have given away a hemi muscle car. Now, these silly fools are willing to pay a half million bucks for one!

I love old cars and as much as I admire one's financial ability to spend $50 grand on a restoration, it's truly getting out of hand. There was a time when common folks could aspire to driving one of these babies, but now they will all be locked up in a museum somewhere because someone paid WAY too much money.

whats the point of dropping 500k on a car you won't drive?

I rather spend 30k to get a car looking as good and it functions and i can tear it up. If i ever get my 66 Toro if the numbers match thats great. but if i have to pull something out to make it run i wont regret it. I want something to tear up, Not trailer to shows.

I only watched about an hours worth over the weekend (Sat & Sun). Two years ago you had the excitement of the '54 Olds F-88 and last year there was the '54 Pontiac Bonneville Special and the GM Futurliner. Anything exciting this year? I didn't hear about it the week before, and there was no news of anything special coming up over the weekend. I did miss seeing one of my favorite Oldsmobiles, a 1957 88 coupe with the J2 Rocket engine, cross the podium :hissyfit:

Bortz has 2 of his treasures on the block, the rather pedestrian '61 Pontiac Tempest Monte Carlo- which is a shortened wheelbase convertible. Originally it was a serious piece, with a cut-down windscreen, a SC Indy 4 and Halibrand wheels. When it slid out the back door at GM is got a production windshield and a 215 aluminum V-8 and wire wheels. Today, it really only looks like a shorter Tempest convert with dual racing stripes and wires. Ummm, OK.

I read that it's fishing for $1.5M, but I'd be really surprised if it got that- being so far from original.

Bortz is also offering his meticulously restored 3/8ths scale '56 Pontiac Club deMer model. It's a real showpiece, but is it likewise worth $1.5M??? Again, I am doubtful, but less so on this one.

Edited by balthazar

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as is value I suppose. More power to the people who can drop that kind of dough on cars (or whatever for that matter). Some say it isn't worth it, but there are others out there who feel otherwise for whatever reason. If I had that kind of expendable cash I could definitely see myself doing the same thing.