CBS Sunday Morning

Derek77

Did anyone else see this story on CBS Sunday Morning, January 14? For some reason the first part where they talked to Consumer Reports really struck a nerve with me. I hate how they just group domestic car makers together and how they nit-pick certain test to prove their point. But I guess I should expect any different.

U.S. Cars Improve In Quality

Did anyone else see this story on CBS Sunday Morning, January 14? For some reason the first part where they talked to Consumer Reports really struck a nerve with me. I hate how they just group domestic car makers together and how they nit-pick certain test to prove their point. But I guess I should expect any different.

U.S. Cars Improve In Quality

I know what you mean... just like how people tend to lump in Mitsu with Toyota/Honda.

But be glad they aren't singling out GM's new efforts like the Cobalt, G6, etc. Their quality is abysmal. Much worse than the cars they replaced. Lumping them with Ford/Chrysler is likely helping GM in this regard.

I can't believe they are still using JD Powers numbers. What a joke. The change to their methodolgy has shown how inaccurate they were (and mostly likely are now).

Lutz made a good point about the US manufacturers having to exceed their competition for a period of time before they save their reputation.

Edited by GXT

But be glad they aren't singling out GM's new efforts like the Cobalt, G6, etc. Their quality is abysmal. Much worse than the cars they replaced. Lumping them with Ford/Chrysler is likely helping GM in this regard.

You are being sarcastic... right?

I would PAY MONEY to knock that CR asshole out.

That guy shopping for the Camry would be next, and then the CBS commentator right after.

How about that 500k+ recall Toyota just pulled?

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah, I saw that. I couldn't help but to think of how much $h! CR is full of. How much you wanna bet they rigged the VUE to do worse than the CR-V? I'd like to take a crack at that idiot CR editor's skull with a mallet. (Might just do him a world of good.)

Anyone who thinks Consumer Retorts is an automotive authority is a moron.

Sheesh you guys are getting a little violent aren't you?

The CR comparison was totally unscientific and therefore totally useless. We've obviously seen recently with the baby car seat fiasco that CR simply can't be trusted.

I agree totally with Lutz' ascertion in the piece however... the domestics have a huge hurdle to overcome getting the attention of buyers who jus want the "safe choice." They need to be devious and sneaky just like Toyota has always been. They need to push every button they can. They need to make the American buying public think it's un-American to buy Toyota... which it is.

Sheesh you guys are getting a little violent aren't you?

To quote a famous bumper sticker:

If you're not MAD you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION!

No facts - just passing commentary.

No, I am going by CR numbers. The G6 and Cobalt are horribly unreliable by their stats. Like "jump off the page" bad. It kind of suprised me at first, but now I am wondering if a lot of GM's quality improvement was due to producing so many models that had been around for so long. It might just take 3 or 4 years to get the problems worked out. I'm not sure if that is true, but time will tell.

I know a lot of people don't like CR because GM doesn't do well, but until automakers are forced to disclose all repair work (I'm not holding my breath) it is the best that we have as consumers.

No, I am going by CR numbers. The G6 and Cobalt are horribly unreliable by their stats. Like "jump off the page" bad. It kind of suprised me at first, but now I am wondering if a lot of GM's quality improvement was due to producing so many models that had been around for so long. It might just take 3 or 4 years to get the problems worked out. I'm not sure if that is true, but time will tell.

I know a lot of people don't like CR because GM doesn't do well, but until automakers are forced to disclose all repair work (I'm not holding my breath) it is the best that we have as consumers.

So we can get misleading information? Yeah, right.

Well by all means - do share the numbers. Include what issue and page you're referring to. Otherwise the dialog is just noise. Shouldn't be too tough since they jump right off the page.