Corvette G1 #2 found

balthazar

-- -- -- -- -- --

Pete Wilzbach recently discovered a First-Generation Corvette body that may have originally been mounted on the second chassis ever built. Evidence indicates this is the case – which would make this the oldest Corvette in existence. A report in Old Cars Weekly cites an article by Ken Amrick (Solid Axle Corvette Club) that appears in the Fall 2006 issue of the club’s magazine On Solid Ground.

The body has some differences and modifications that seem consistent with historical records showing that body No. 002 was used on a car that served as a test mule for production Corvettes. Wilzbach believes it was used in tests done to determine if the small-block V-8 engine that Chevy was developing around 1953 would fit in the two-seat, fiberglass-bodied sports car.

According to Amrick’s research, General Motors records indicate that body No. 002 was assigned to be engineering test vehicle No. 3951. It was later used in various tests of the V-8 engine, the new V-8 cooling system, a 12-volt electrical system, Powerglide automatic transmissions and a dual exhaust system. The body was removed in May 1955, when test vehicle No. 3951 received a new body.

Here are several strong indicators that the body found came off the second Corvette built:

• The body has a one-piece floor, a design thought to have been used only on the first 12 Corvettes built.

• The body’s fiberglass finish is extremely crude, especially in the trunk area and behind the seats. This is typical of very early bodies.

• The right-side inner fender has been reworked to accommodate a 12-volt battery.

• The brake pedal arm and emergency brake have differences from the standard Corvette parts, backing the impression that this body was used in experiments.

• Several sets of holes in the firewall indicate that the heater motor and heater hoses were relocated several times.

• The normal exhaust outlets were covered with factory-type materials. There are signs that extra exhaust outlets, resembling those used on 1956 and 1957 models, were cut into rear fenders. An early photograph of body No. 002 shows two sets of exhaust holes in the same locations as those on the recently discovered body.

Previously, the earliest Corvette known to survive was No. 003, which was restored to show condition. It’s been documented that Corvette No. 001 – the first Corvette – was destroyed in a GM burn test.

-- -- -- -- -- --

Sounds like only a body, but hopefully it'll be reunited with a chassis & restored.

This is NOT the oldest Corvette to survive tho; altho #1 was destroyed, the 1952 Motorama prototype Corvette EX-122 is alive and in fine spirits in Atlantic City NJ at Kerbeck Chevrolet.

Posted Image

Lots to read on EX-122's history: EX-122

Edited by balthazar

Dunno- it shows up above for me. Kerbeck stuff won't post (dynamic links) but this one was from another site. Motorama Corvette is 'standard' in appearance compared to production '53s, but has the short side trim with the fin pointing down instead of up. Here'a another try:

Posted Image

Edited by balthazar

Yeah- I thought of that! 003 was complete and in decent shape- not a tough resto as restos go, tho who knows how much detail got put into it (G1s are simple cars). Bet he still could make a profit if he sold it. Being one of 300 built over 50 years ago is never a downside.

But 002 again sounds like it's only a body. If it got restored (re-chassis'd), the question is how much would a non-original chassis devalue it (if any)? And how easy is it to even find a '53 chassis/powertrain anymore??

Yeah- I thought of that! 003 was complete and in decent shape- not a tough resto as restos go, tho who knows how much detail got put into it (G1s are simple cars). Bet he still could make a profit if he sold it. Being one of 300 built over 50 years ago is never a downside.

But 002 again sounds like it's only a body. If it got restored (re-chassis'd), the question is how much would a non-original chassis devalue it (if any)? And how easy is it to even find a '53 chassis/powertrain anymore??

[/quoteA

The parts are out there and it can be restored but no cheaply.

This is where many start having a problem on resto cars as to where it is the original car and when it's not. In all it will be accepted for being the 002 car if documented and if they leave the mods in it. But I don't see it passing the value of a mostly original 003.

In all I would take Kerbecks Motorama car as it is the one ot have if your paying millions.

Also we might want to keep our eyes open as the 53 Motorama Fast back was seen as late as the 80's at Warhoops junk yard in MI and someone was to have taken it home? So it seems like it is out there with a good change of it being restored.

Also the Nomad wagon that was though gone is now suspected to be in the Newport Hunington beach area in storage. It was once though crushed but there have been som reliable info in the last few years that it may have also been saved and keep quite to not arouse GM's attention.

You can ask Mr Bortzs and his many Motorama car to never write a car off till you have proof it was crushed.

How about "Indiana Jones and the lost Nomad" as a part 4 in the series. A older Harrison Ford could rescue the car and try to find his way though the LA traffic. He could be chased by black unmarked Suburbans and Bob Lutz can be in one of them. I would like this better than the Transformer movie with a yellow Camaro.

As far as I have read, the Corvette Corvair was rumored to have been in Warhoops in the '70s, but when Bortz & son pulled the 4 dream cars out circa '89, but it was not there then and he doesn't have it/ never did. I have only heard rumors of rumors about that one surviving- the above chiefly being it.

#003 is not all-original: it's chassis is under a '55 Corvette and the short-block has a '58 casting date. However, otherwise it was all 1953 and the experts decided the frame swap was done by Chevrolet (it has no VIN stamp & the date code is very late in the '53 MY)- the car was originally sold in '53CY. It's really a very interesting story- documents were uncovered that revealed it had done 14-hrs at -20 degrees by Harrison Radiator and 5000 miles on the Belgian blocks at Milford, among other tests.

Article I'm referencing here (Corvette Quarterly) says there were 2 Motorama Corvettes.... I assume the 2nd one was the white hardtop (as opposed to the red Corvair). Another diamond needle in the haystack to keep an eye open for. #003 publically "redebuted" in 1987, #002 'reappears' circa 2006.... what's next?? All sorts of gems still hiding out there, why can't I find one damnit?!?

Cool post. I want the '53 Corvette that was walled into the back

of that Greek guys' bakery in Maine from like 1954-1998. :D