GM accepts Dodge Viper challenge

Variance

GM accepts Dodge Viper challenge

The new 600-horsepower 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 won't keep its king-of-the-hill position for long if General Motors Corp. Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has anything to do with it.

Asked on Thursday during a meeting with analysts whether Chevrolet plans to produce the Corvette Blue Devil, GM's next generation super sports car, to usurp the Viper's newly won pole position in the race for the title of most powerful U.S. sports car, Lutz scoffed.

"As you all know, it is not our policy to discuss future product programs. However ... ," he said to laughter from the audience, "it is very important for Corvette to be the most powerful, most capable, best handling sports car in the United States."

Detroit Free Press

Haha, Lutz is so great.

Also, I'd like to see the Z06 be given a chance before the Viper is crowned king. It's one thing to have 600HP, it's another to put it to the ground effectively. I'm guessing the Viper will be faster in a straight line, but I remember when the 500HP Viper came out the C5 Z06 could beat it around some tracks.

How old? Sting Ray? Z-R1?

MAKO SHARK!!

Either of those get my vote

No. Neither will it be SuperSport nor SS. They will revive an old designation though.

I've never really cared for the sound of Blue Devil or Corvette SS, but I take it Z07 is not happening either?

A friend of mine is already giving me crap about the Vette because he is a Dodge guy. He says the Viper has 600hp and the Vette needs a supercharger to compete with it so its cheating. I said whatever it takes to blow the Viper in the weeds is not cheating in my book. Chevy could come out with a super large displacement engine like the Viper but they don't want to, 7 liters I think is enough for the Z06 and 6.2 for the s/c.

ZR-1 would be my pick. :pbjtime:

This will not share engineering with Lotus via a DOHC.... so it's not going to be ZR-1.

It might be ZL-1 or possibly Sting Ray or Mako Shark.

A friend of mine is already giving me crap about the Vette because he is a Dodge guy. He says the Viper has 600hp and the Vette needs a supercharger to compete with it so its cheating. I said whatever it takes to blow the Viper in the weeds is not cheating in my book. Chevy could come out with a super large displacement engine like the Viper but they don't want to, 7 liters I think is enough for the Z06 and 6.2 for the s/c.

cheating, WTF is that? :rolleyes: if he so into "fair play", ask him if slapping 2 extra cylinders on is "fair play".

if he wants to get into the numbers game, tell him that the hp/L for the Z06 and SRT10 are virtually identical (72.3 vs 72.2). don't forget to through in that power's great and all, but only if you can effectively get it from the engine into the pavement. which the Z06 can so so much better than the viper