Busted my oil pan

Flybrian

The road to hell is paved...and striped and called Kennedy Blvd. in Tampa.

Swerved to avoid a Galant who herself swerved to avoid some baglady who felt like walking out in front of traffic and I caught a ridiculously raised manhole cover. Sure enough, it put a whole in my oil pan.

Bad news: it'll cost £1100 at the shop in labor alone.

Good news: pan itself, I can get for £40. I'm going to attempt to do this with a friend of mine over several days next week (I have a Monte Carlo rental now).

Sigh...

that sucks, i got a crack in mine around the low oil sensor, after a while (lots of heat cycles) some black silicone filled in the whole crack, it might drip sometime, but only couple a day at very most. lol

I wasn't being an ass, I thought everything was intentionally in pounds, and it was some kind of joke I didn't get...

Sorry. That ass was for Satty... :P

Croc, I've had it for about a year. Its not a Pearl. Its the generation before, whaich is why I hate it. Alas, its my work phone so its free.

Does your Aurora have an aluminum, structural oilpan?

Did you suffer a catastrophic oil loss? Crappy news, Mr. Fly. Hopefully it will be taken care of quickly.

I did the same thing to my '00 GTI, only I fell asleep and went up over a small island. That woke my ass up, and I was lucky enough to shut off the engine quickly, avoided blowing up my sweet little 1.8t.

$1100 for an oil pan? Is it solid gold? I think it's high time you get to the boneyard, son.

.... and with the luck you're having buy two or three wrecks and leave 'em in the backyard for spares :blink:

My eldest cousin (He's 45) used to live in Clearwater, and had a similar problem with his '86 Mustang that happened ON Kennedy! :cussing: next time I talk to him, I'll see if I can get the details.

Class action time!

And the $1100 is for labor alone. I can get the pan for $40.

I could probably get a Galant for the cost of an oilpan the way they seem to be selling. Thanks, Satty.

Yeah, this is something I'm doing myself with the help of a friend who works with me. I figure $185 for the Monte Carlo for a week, plus $40 for the pan, plus $100 for various things we may need, plus $200 for his troubles < $1100 for labor alone.

Hmm. If the Aurora is one of those G-bods where you have to raise the car and lower the cradle to get the engine out, you might be able to get at it by getting the car up high enough, disconnecting the lower motor mounts, and lowering the cradle. The tough part will be supporting the engine...if you have a hoist or overhead pulley available, you can probably hook it up to the engine and put just enough tension on it so that it doesn't fall or damage the other motor mounts.

Best of luck to you, Fly.

Used some special aluminum-based putty made by Cotronics. Its a little more pressure- and heat-resistant than JB Weld, so we'll see...

Turns out to be a hairline fracture running about 2.5 inches. Cracked area circled in red. We drilled two holes to stop the crack, then noticed it extending a bit above the left-hand hold, so we drilled a third one after.

Posted Image

Sanded the fissure, cleaned around the pan, measured out the putty and hardener, mixed, applied and voila!

Posted Image

~24 hours to fully cure at 75 degrees, so we'll see this evening.