Dealbreakers

Camino LS6

Used cars are an entirely different thing though, the parameters aren't the same. Asking this question about new cars can tell you quite alot about what new cars should be. That sort of feedback was what I was going for.

With the rise of internet shopping, buying a used car isn't far from buying a new car. But in anycase, my parameters apply equally to new or used cars.

I guess I didn't word things well in my last few posts so I'll try again.

What I was after was information that would have bearing on the design of forthcoming cars. I wanted to know what would eliminate a new car from consideration for each of us. Perhaps I should have restricted it to picking one thing that would eliminate a given car. For example, my "one thing" would be FWD. That would be something about which there would be no negotiation for me.

Anyway, i'm not going to be a forum nanny about it: Carry On.

Then it's not a "dealbreaker."

Um. Given Camino's description of his intent of this thread, FWD _IS_ a dealbreaker for me for any NEW car I should purchase.

Those 2 FWDs I've owned were in the PAST.

The cars I've looked at recently (as I've posted about previously) were the '06 Charger and an older model Olds Cutlass (RWD, 1987).

You can get a pretty well equipped Colorado with the I5 and the manual. Last time I priced one out on chevy.com, nothing stopped me from loading the truck to the gills while still keeping the manual. I think our good buddy ocnblu had one equipped just like that. It's probably not in any dealer stock, though. You're better off going on www.gmbuypower.com and locating one yourself, then going to that dealership and saying, "I want this one!". Of course, there's always the factory order option.

Sad to say, but salesman prey on women. They automatically assume that women don't know that much about cars and can be talked into taking something they don't want. I think your sister is a victim of this, rather than Chevy's inability to provide her with what she wants.

(and)

They are also often clueless about what really is available beyond what sits on their lot. Manual Colorados do exist as I have driven one. But, the knee-jerk ordering of automatics by dealerships makes the manual nearly unknown. You should advise your sister to factory order what she wants.

If you walk in with a printout of the specs, you can bypass all of that salesman BS.

Thanks, guys, for your comments.

I can assure you my sister is no "pushover" ;). She has made it clear each time what she wants ... and has not let them talk her into something else ... he he.

As for the Colorado, do either of you know if it comes manual with the quad (crew) cab version? My sis and her husband are starting to think about having kids and my sister will NOT give up a manual truck. So, she has agreed to get a 4-door pickup. From what I've been able to research (albeit briefly), the manual is not available in the quad/crew cab version of the Colorado. If that's the case, then the salesman were actually correct ... Chevrolet doesn't offer what she wants.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Suspicions lead to questions" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Stranger In My House'

D'oh!

Looks like you can't get the manual (or the 4cyl for that matter) with the crew cab in any trim level. Figures, because every time I price the truck out, it's with the extended cab.

Ah, crappers .... I was hoping you would've found something different, z28! Oh, well.... Guess my sis won't be getting a Chevrolet after all, then :(.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's not the car I want" ... George Jones ... 'The Corvette Song'

Just think hypothetically,BV. And don't worry, I'm not scolding anyone.

Used cars are an entirely different thing though, the parameters aren't the same. Asking this question about new cars can tell you quite alot about what new cars should be. That sort of feedback was what I was going for.

I know, but most of what I listed for used cars would also apply to new cars. Just eliminate the "condition" and "personalization" things.

Hmmm.... :scratchchin:

Posted Image

Not to mention the big Grand Am GT windshield decal in the wrong font...

Those headlight covers were in the trunk. I didn't know I had them until after I bought it. Haha... but alot of the things I listed don't apply to my Grand Am. I didn't really care what car I got at the time as long as it looked good and was cheap. Which it was. I never should have bought it, though. There were many signs that it would become a problem... and it did. Oh well, I guess.

I believe you are talking about the previous gen Avs? right?

Yes, of course, I'm sorry. The current one looks better because it looks like a Tahoe, but I still get get excited about that rear.

FWD

Automatic Transmission

and I-5 motor instead of a V6 or I-6

Basically if it has those things I will not buy despite how nice the car may be. I don't like automatics or fwd and I refuse to own/buy one for myself unless I get so crippled that I cannot shift that I will buy an automatic. At that point I shouldn't be driving anymore anyways :P

The reason I have not bought a crew cab Colorado or Canyon is because I cannot get anything larger than an I-5 in it and I cannot get a 5 speed stick in the crew cab sport model.

Edited by Brandon Lutz