Dealbreakers

Camino LS6

Alright I'm only listing this cause it has happened to me before. But vehicle vandalism on a new car on the lot is a deal breaker. Loose parts inside the interior is a deal braker. Not being able to understand how something works in the car in 10 min or less is a deal breaker Ex: I = drive.

Bland/boring/otherwise unattractive styling. To hell with squishy dash plastics, cupholder-counting contests, rear hip room, etc. If it looks bad on the outside, I don't want it. I also don't want a wheezy, blender-sounding engine, which is the main reason I couldn't bring myself to buy a 4-cylinder when a V6 is available (unless it's a Honda V6...they leave something to be desired, IMO). And it must retain the new car smell long enough for me to enjoy it.

Edited by DetroitNut90

Deal breaker:

The fact that a woman already has kids by someone else.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title. :lol:

Oh, $h!, we're talking about cars:

Overstyled or overly provocative exterior that will not age well as styles rapidly change.

Guest YellowJacket894

These things usually just turn me away:

• Tepid styling.
  • Poor performance.
  • Lack of aftermarket appearance parts.
  • Lack of aftermarket performance parts.
  • Cost of replacement parts and a low availability of those parts used if the cost is too much.

Guest YellowJacket894

Interesting responses so far. I have quite a few dealbreakers in mind, the first of which is FWD - I will never buy a new FWD car: I just can't tolerate them.

I would have listed front-drive as well, but I have a soft spot for the classic Aurora, the Toronado (1967 model and the 1985 to 1992 model), and the 1997 - 2003 Grand Prix (especially the GTP). But, I guess those aren't new, so . .

My dealbreakers:

• Ugly.
  • Slow.
  • Crappy interior design. (Depending on the car, I don't care that much about the materials.)
  • Marshmallow/wallowy suspension. I cannot deal with a bouncy suspension. It's why I don't like driving or riding in older Buicks.
  • Mushy brakes or long brake pedal travel. Not the least-bit confidence inspiring.

If it doesn't have looks that kill, or at least kindle some sort of positive emotion from gear-heads or baby boomers, or a negative emotion from enviro-nuts or Prius drivers, chances are, I wouldn't spring for it.

If the vehicle looks out of place when blasting David Lee Roth, then it's a total no-no.

I have quite a few dealbreakers in mind, the first of which is FWD - I will never buy a new FWD car: I just can't tolerate them.

The body style/automotive package I want (mid-lux sport sedan or personal luxury coupe) is delivered exclusively in this manner. Believe me, if they had put the 90s Regal coupe, the Grand Prix sedan or the Intrigue on a RWD platform, I would have dug it. Just think how nice it would have been to lift the hood and see that 3800 sitting snug up against the firewall with all its under-hood components identifiable and easy to reach.

Nothing from the Asian manufacturers.

Nothing from Europe, save for Porsche and Ferrari.

No DCX.

No Ford cars.

No full-sized SUVs from anyone

From all that's left, exterior styling is pretty much the biggest dealbreaker. It doesn't have to be expressive, overstated, or extroverted, but it has to be pleasing to me at all angles. If the car in question is a sedan, it has very little room for error in my book. Next comes the powertrain. Given that I've weeded out the Koreans, DCX, and Ford cars, I'm guaranteed to get a reliable engine that doesn't sound like I'm killing it every time I step on the gas. For my daily driver I probably won't always go for the hot motor, instead opting for the one that gives the best compromise of performance and gas mileage given that I mostly do stop and go driving. Also, the car should have a minimum level of utility. If it can't fit a bike inside with therear seat folded down (or can't support a hitch-mounted bike rack), then no sale.

Finally, for my next car a stick is a must, since I don't feel like learning how to drive a stick on a 435hp big block Corvette. I'll wait till I've lived with a car with a stick for a while before I decide to make it a dealbreaker.

In addition to FWD here are some more of mine:

No asian manufacturers: They simply don't build anything I'd want.

No sedans: ( there are a tiny number of exceptions here,or have been in the past)

No 4cyl cars: ( at least 2 exceptions to this rule)

No overbearing option packages that preclude getting a car the way I want it. This issue (and price) are why I have a GTO and not an 04 Avalanche)

A bad showroom experience

A negative test drive

dealer gouging (I will walk away)

poor performance/responsiveness in any category

German cars: Don't get me wrong I love some of them, but the pricing is beyond the pale. I'd buy used instead.

Deal breaker:

The fact that a woman already has kids by someone else.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title. :lol:

Oh, $h!, we're talking about cars:

Overstyled or overly provocative exterior that will not age well as styles rapidly change.

oh c'mon, what's wrong with a 'melting pot' sort of woman? survival of the fittest. can't blame her for wanting more suitors!!!!!!!!

The salesman not allowing me to order a car that i want not some ugly brown Riviera with a landau top when i want a black one with a 3.8 turbo. or the 90 brown S-10. or the 86 firebird 350. walked out so many times.

ABS optional

No stability control

no side air bags

wheels smaller than 18 inches for a truck and 17 for a car.

no heated seats (its cold up here in Canada)

no OnStar

No power windows/door locks/mirrors

No 6-disc CD

No dual zone climate control

-The car must come in black, or for certain cars, bright red (like my gp). That is one of the many problems I have with the current Grand Prix.

-The car must also have a dark gray/black interior offered, for some reason I just don't like light interiors.

-Leather, heated seats, a sunroof, steering wheel controls, HUD and a good sound sysem are also important.

-I like cars with eye catching styling, nothing that blends in, this is probably one of the biggest deciding factors for me. I have to have a car that I am excited to see every time I drive it, not something dull and bland.

-Cars with vast amounts of fake wood grain are cars I stay away from.

-Needs to be remotely powerful, enough to accelerate onto the highway without getting plowed over by other drivers.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

I will never buy a new FWD car: I just can't tolerate them.

FWD is a dealbreaker for me.

Sadly, I've owned 2.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It could've been different somehow" ... Doug Stone ... 'Why Didn't I Think Of That?'

- Two door cars as my primary car. I don't like two doors that much, unless it's the Kappa twins. Hatches are OK (I LOVE the Astra), but those are considered 3-doors.

- Toyota (and its divisions), Mercedes Benz, overrated, and mostly stereotyped cars of Hong Kong people in Canada.

- Korean, generally unsafe.

- Chevrolet, this is a temporary one, since all our previous cars are Chevys. I'll get sick of Pontiac some time.

- Bright colors. Won't see me in a torch red or bright blue car, not to mention riced out colors.

- Pewter exterior AND interior. Reminds me of my Cavalier and screams cheap.

- Black, hard to keep clean.

- Cars that are excessively powered, e.g. 200+ HP in a compact is useless, but 400+ HP in a full-size Cadillac is fine.

- Excessive "sporty" tack-ons, e.g. body kits, ground effects. I like sleepers better.

- Minivans and SUVs, you won't see me in either. Crossovers (read: Lambda) are borderline.

- Excessive "futuristinc" styling (read: Civic).

This is what I can think of so far...

My dealbreakers:

- Doesn't come in a COLOUR. Sorry, white, black and shades of gray don't count. Taupe doesn't really count either. Blue, Red, Yellow, Green... I don't care. Just give me one.

- No manual transmission. This could be looked past in some cases though.

- Is a truck. Seriously. I really can't see myself buying an SUV or pickup.

edit: unclear.

Edited by the_yellow_dart

oh c'mon, what's wrong with a 'melting pot' sort of woman? survival of the fittest. can't blame her for wanting more suitors!!!!!!!!

Reg, my boy, what do they say about used cars? Something about "someone else's troubles." Get the idea?

I am such an ass. But then, you can be too. :lol: It's too hard to "sugarcoat." We both know it's more accurate when it's "raw."

Back to the thread, please ....

Edited by trinacriabob

Absolute Deal-breakers, General:

- Manufactured by Toyota Motor Corp

- Chinese manufactured -- It's bad enough that virtually everything else on the market is made in China.

Significant turn-offs, General:

- Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundai manufactured

- Can't get to 60mph in less than 10 secs

- Bland or unattractive styling

Significant turn-offs, individual car:

- Tactile flaws -- missing, loose buttons, noticeable wear and tear (side note: The paint is peeling off the radio buttons and interior door pulls in my Cobalt after only a year! :cussing:)

- Vehicle damage

- More than 150,000 miles on the odometer

F RONT W HEEL D RIVE

To a slightly lesser extent:

B-pillars in coupes, four cylinder motors & gray plastic bumpers/trim/body cladding (avalanche excluded)

- Tactile flaws -- missing, loose buttons, noticeable wear and tear (side note: The paint is peeling off the radio buttons and interior door pulls in my Cobalt after only a year! :cussing:)

There's a TSB out for the peeling finish. I believe they've revised the door pulls to have a more durable finish. By all means take it to the dealer.

Lack of electronic speed control

Ugly outside or in. For instance, I love the Honda Civic coupe, but its interior is a major turn-off for me.

B-pillars in coupes, four cylinder motors & gray plastic bumpers/trim/body cladding (avalanche excluded)

Uh-huh. The Avalanche is a terrible purveyor of the tacky black plastic, but why is it okay for this vehicle? Is it "rugged" here?

Hmm on my next vehicle?

Monotone gray dash

Poor steering feedback

Feeling engine shake through steering wheel.

Plastic wheel covers

Expanse of plood on dash

Vinyl steering wheel/shift knob

Black sideview mirrors on non-black or dark blue vehicle

Dash or door rattles

Over the top suspension travel over dips and humps on the highway

Cheap leather or bad badly patterned cloth seats

lack of these features generally would be a deal breaker for me (for a daily driver--for a weekend toy, I can do without some of them):

ABS w/ 4 wheel discs

side air bags

heated seats (its cold in Colorado)

power seats/windows/door locks/mirrors

6-disc in-dash CD and iPod jack

sunroof

interior color choices other than all-gray or all-tan (two-tones are ok)

quality interior materials

full gauge set

usable cupholders (I wish more cars had heated and chilled cupholders)

availability of a manual transmission (though in an SUV or luxury car a good 6-speed automatic is fine)

I can live without heated mirrors, but they are nice to have...

The interior fit and finish, outward visibility, seat comfort, performance (handling, braking, acceleration, steering feel) are more important to me than the exterior styling (i.e. I can live with a Chris Bangle design).

Edited by moltar

Uh-huh. The Avalanche is a terrible purveyor of the tacky black plastic, but why is it okay for this vehicle? Is it "rugged" here?

It's ugly as sin, but it's at least functional on the Av. It's a lesser evil than touching up several chips after an off-road excursion. Lots of hardcore Av owners are pretty pissed about the lack of a body hardware option on the GMT900 Av.

- No manual transmission.

This is definitely a deal breaker for my sister. She currently has a 1997 S-10 manual extended cab. She is looking to buy a brand new vehicle this year, particularly another truck with manual transmission. Chevrolet doesn't offer one. So, she is looking elsewhere and likes the Nissan Frontier the most, right now anyway. She is bummed, tho, because she'd rather buy a brand new Chevrolet, no matter the cost. But, Chevrolet doesn't offer what she wants. Sadly, I know EXACTLY how she feels.....

"Suspicions lead to questions" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Stranger In My House'

Edited by knightfan26917

This is definitely a deal breaker for my sister. She currently has a 1997 S-10 manual extended cab. She is looking to buy a brand new vehicle this year, particularly another truck with manual transmission. Chevrolet doesn't offer one. So, she is looking elsewhere and likes the Nissan Frontier the most, right now anyway. She is bummed, tho, because she'd rather buy a brand new Chevrolet, no matter the cost. But, Chevrolet doesn't offer what she wants. Sadly, I know EXACTLY how she feels.....

"Suspicions lead to questions" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Stranger In My House'

Are you sure about that? I've been in a Colorado with a manual.

Are you sure about that? I've been in a Colorado with a manual.

Hmmm.... If the Colorado does have a manual, it isn't in the particular model/packaging that she wants. All I know (from what she told me) is that 3 different Chevrolet dealers told her that Chevrolet/GM does not make what she wants.....

*shrugs*

"It's coming down to nothing more than apathy" ... The Fray ... 'Over My Head'

hmmm...

Hatchbacks or wagons (most CUVs are included here)... if i want more cargo room.. ill buy an SUV thank you

any kind of 4 cylinder engine in any vehicle that is not a sports roadster sky/solstice/miata type car

any kind of engine that doesnt make a nice noise when i hit the accelerator

lack of performance

floaty suspension

any car which would not look out of place with a news station playing on the radio... exceptions can be made at times to this rule

not offered in black or red (deep, almost blood red preffered)

tentatively... any foreign car... i say tentatively because they may at some point... build a car i like... and then it would no longer be a deal breaker... as of right now... any foreign car i like the styling of... costs far too much money for me to even consider

an overpriced and/or overrated car

any car that is advertised on the basis that you can rice it out as much as you damn well please... especially if said manufacturer exclusively builds awkward looking hatchback monstrocities *cough*Scion*cough*

Hmmm.... If the Colorado does have a manual, it isn't in the particular model/packaging that she wants. All I know (from what she told me) is that 3 different Chevrolet dealers told her that Chevrolet/GM does not make what she wants.....

At the last auto show in Chicago I saw a Colorado with a manual. Dont know though about trim packages. I think it was on the low end. I guess there isnt much call for a manual. I did see one at Gustmans(My dealer) but there again I think it was on the low end.

*shrugs*

You know... After having my Millenia, I don't know how I delt with certain things when I had my Grand Am. Nothing in it is power, while everything in my Millenia is power. Hell, even the tilting steering wheel is power. So many aspects of it have changed my overall wants. With this said, I bring you my list.

-Fit and finish. Loose parts, huge gaps, etc... is a turn off.

-Design. Like some people, I don't necessarily care whether a vehicle is all the original looking, as long as it looks good.

-Exterior Color. I can't stand white, silver, or beige cars. I love deep or bright colors.

-Interior Color. I can't stand blue or red interiors. Looks cheesy and cheap.

-Cheapness. Black plastic on the exterior, hard plastics in the interior. Turn off.

-Features. Leather is a must. Power windows and doors are a must. CD player is a must. Sunroof is a must. Keyless entry is a must.

-Powertrain. I still prefer manuals, but its not a must if the tranny atleast can act as a one. Also, lack of power is a turn off. I don't care whether its a 4 cyl or 12 cyl... but if it feels powerless, forget it. Also, DOHC is must.

-Cleanliness. If the engine is dirty, I'm not buying it. To me, it says it wasnt taken care of. Same with the interior.

-Type. I still have a preference for coupes, convertibles, or hatchbacks, but a sedan is fine with me as long as appeals to me. SUVs, trucks, vans, etc are no-nos unless I already have another vehicle or two. I'd love to have a 77 Chevy pickup like my dad's, but only as a second vehicle.

-Manufacturer. Wait... I'm not biased like some of you guys. Doesn't matter who makes it, if I like it, I'll buy it.

-Stock. It must be. Aftermarket stuff is a big turn off unless its the wheels or such.

Thats about it. :P

My '40: no power equipment, no radio, no heat, only 2 fuses in the fues block. All SAE fasteners. A crank-out windshield. 8-spd manual. Manufacturer-grown oak flooring. Less than 3 lbs of plastic on the entire vehicle, total (steering wheel, headlight knob, distributor cap, uhhhh....). Dubs.

Perfection.

Seriously- plastics are the LCD of materials- the entire gibbering overwrought debate over the 'quality' of plastic is like debting the 'artistic merit' of doggie doo. We're stuck with doggie doo and we're going to make the best of it; find the smoothest pile with the nicest whorl on top and the earthiest smell.

You guys crack me up.

No, seriously: dealbreakers for me are foriegn-owned manufacturers, 1000 lbs of plastic, FWD, 4-cyls, owner-unfriendly engineering/servicability, and grotesquely bad values.

*shrugs*

Cort,

You can get a pretty well equipped Colorado with the I5 and the manual. Last time I priced one out on chevy.com, nothing stopped me from loading the truck to the gills while still keeping the manual. I think our good buddy ocnblu had one equipped just like that. It's probably not in any dealer stock, though. You're better off going on www.gmbuypower.com and locating one yourself, then going to that dealership and saying, "I want this one!". Of course, there's always the factory order option.

Sad to say, but salesman prey on women. They automatically assume that women don't know that much about cars and can be talked into taking something they don't want. I think your sister is a victim of this, rather than Chevy's inability to provide her with what she wants.

Cort,

You can get a pretty well equipped Colorado with the I5 and the manual. Last time I priced one out on chevy.com, nothing stopped me from loading the truck to the gills while still keeping the manual. I think our good buddy ocnblu had one equipped just like that. It's probably not in any dealer stock, though. You're better off going on www.gmbuypower.com and locating one yourself, then going to that dealership and saying, "I want this one!". Of course, there's always the factory order option.

Sad to say, but salesman prey on women. They automatically assume that women don't know that much about cars and can be talked into taking something they don't want. I think your sister is a victim of this, rather than Chevy's inability to provide her with what she wants.

They are also often clueless about what really is available beyond what sits on their lot. Manual Colorados do exist as I have driven one. But, the knee-jerk ordering of automatics by dealerships makes the manual nearly unknown. You should advise your sister to factory order what she wants.

If you walk in with a printout of the specs, you can bypass all of that salesman BS.

FWD is a dealbreaker for me.

Sadly, I've owned 2.

Then it's not a "dealbreaker."

I read the concept of this thread as an automatic repulsion...something that could not be overcome. And I think that many of the things posted on this thread so far do not fall into that category. There are precious few things (to me) that would eliminate a vehicle from consideration.

"Slow" is a relative term. For me, my primary driver must be "fun to drive" (another relative and subjective term). All of my vehicles have fallen into this category from my 50hp car to my current 200hp car.

I'd say that having an automatic would be a dealbreaker, but I have considered cars with automatics (even owned one), so that doesn't fall into this category. I don't care about number of doors or colors (there are colors I avoid, but none would be a dealbreaker). I don't count number of cylinders (I've considered three-bangers up to V12s) or drive wheels (I've owned and loved FWD, RWD, and AWD cars).

I stay away from SUVs and pickups (the typically lack the FTD guality I look for), but I can't really rule any body style out either.

You interpreted the question correctly,Hudson. Others have strayed a bit without a doubt. I also intended for this to apply only to NEW cars.

Your list is far less restrictive than my own, but I have a few items that are qualified by rare exceptions. Even so, the list of new cars I would consider remains short.

Just think hypothetically,BV. And don't worry, I'm not scolding anyone.

Used cars are an entirely different thing though, the parameters aren't the same. Asking this question about new cars can tell you quite alot about what new cars should be. That sort of feedback was what I was going for.