2008 Ford Escape

Bimmer325

LA AUTO SHOW: The 2008 Ford Escape revealed

Posted Image

Well well, something bold from Ford! The 2008 Escape has certainly been restyled with bold strokes, evolving into something that's unmistakable as the smallest sibling of the Explorer and Expedition. The interior has been taken uptown with high quality materials and a pleasing, handsome design incorporating many comfort and quietness improvements. Nice touches abound, from an iPod jack to blue instrument illumination, not to mention the use of laminated glass and acoustic headlining to reduce NVH levels. Debuting in the '08 Escape is Ford's "top of dash" display that puts information like ambient temp, climate control settings and radio functions at eye level.

[FULL STORY]

Ignoring looks for a moment, some other highlights:

The 2008 Escape is believed to be the first U.S. automotive application of seating surfaces made from 100 percent recycled materials...

...Ford's use of post-industrial recycled materials, rather than virgin fibers, will conserve an estimated 600,000 gallons of water, an estimated 1.8 million pounds of carbon dioxide equivalents, and the equivalent of more than 7 million kilowatt hours of electricity annually.

ADVERTISE THAT, FORD!

Escape's center console is large enough to hold a laptop computer, and there are three levels of storage space. In addition, the center console features two removable bins with innovative dovetail mounting points, which allows the bins to be hung from the front passenger side and rear of the console for additional storage.

The 2008 Escape is one of the first Ford Motor Company vehicles to use speed-sensitive Electric Power Steering (EPS), a sophisticated system that helps correct for road irregularities and improves overall steering feel.

Under its skin, the 2008 Escape has one of the most advanced safety packages in the small SUV segment. Escape comes standard with Safety Canopy™ side air curtains...

...I-4 and V-6 Escape models come standard with Ford's exclusive AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control.

Now, for looks...the chrome looks overkill in these pics, but I'm guessing it will look better in person. I thought the Explorer with the chrome bar looked gaudy in the Ford press release pics, but seeing them in person is totally different...it actually looks pretty nice. Ford sucks at press release pics.

I like it, too, though I'd probably take the Mercury Mariner over it. I'm with Harley. It looks much more masculine and tougher than the current whimpy escape. I don't think it's too bling, the chrome is not overkill, IMO. If it were on the sides, the mirrors and the back end it would be.

Edit: The two-tone interior looks nice, too.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Bad lighting on that pic, it looks like it's sweating. The C&D pics are much better. The light green one at C&D's gallery is nice looking. I like the new, squarer body with the cleaner side treatment, and the front looks better, more macho. The old one looks timid by comparison. This and the Mariner deserve the 3.5L as the top engine. The Tribute should be given a 1.2L, 58 horsepower 4 cylinder with a one barrel carb. Edited by ocnblu

I don't think I like your avatar, Fordfan1. :angry:  :AH-HA_wink:

221905[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry about it, if that's the best thing he can come up with :P

The two-tone is very boring. The dash is just a big slab in front of the passenger with no detail at all... very drab.

The question is, what's better, the VUE or Escape? Right now I'd say it's a tie on the exterior with a slight edge going to the VUE if the lower-models don't have black plastic bumpers and the VUE's interior looks much better than the Escape's.

Not bad... esp. compared to the current Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...