New Chevrolet Ad Campaign

the_yellow_dart

So, a company called me up last week to ask if I would like to give them my impressions of car commercials - 1 hr, $65. I said sure, why not.

So I went today, and they showed me four basic ideas for commercials. They were black and white drawings, some crudely animated, with voiceovers to give me the feel of what the finished commercials would look like. They were all part of a new campaign: "Let's Go: Chevrolet". Included in all of them was the new URL letsgochevrolet.ca, which for now, redirects to gmcanada.com. I'm assuming that they would develop it if they use these ads.

Ad #1: Shots of people in an office. A man pops his head into a woman's cubicle, and says, 'let's go'. Somebody else gets an email with that as a subject. A man excuses himself from a meeting after seeing it on his Blackberry. A woman says it to a friend in a bathroom stall. A man in the next office building holds up a giant sign with 'let's go'. They all start to leave (mid-day) and you see some Chevy keys in someone's hand. Tagline, "Let's Go Chevrolet" and the bowtie appear. A brand-wide ad.

Ad #2: An Equinox is sitting in a driveway. A man puts a car seat with a baby girl in the back seat. A voice says, "A lot can happen in 5 years". Then a 5 year old girl emerges from the Equinox, and the commercial talks about the 5-year warranty and the safety of OnStar. Tagline, "Let's Go Chevrolet" and the bowtie appear. A brand-wide ad, semi-specific to the Equinox.

Ad #3: A driverless Cobalt is driving around. People wave to the "driver". A woman flirts with "him". The car passes somebody on the highway and gets a glance. Then you have a driver-side shot of the car, stopped. The door opens and it says "Are you in?". Cobalt, and the base price are shown. Then, the "Let's Go Chevrolet" tagline and bowtie appear. A Cobalt ad showing both the coupe and sedan.

Ad #4: Two women and a man in their 20's are swimming in a quarry. The man says "Are you ready?" and one of the women replies, "Let's go". They hop into a Cobalt coupe still in bathing suits. They start to change as they drive, and get some awkward, funny looks from passing, older drivers. The man (driving) realizes that he can't find his shirt. Shot goes back the quarry, where it's hanging from a tree. The Cobalt drives by and a hand grabs it. Then, the "Let's Go Chevrolet" tagline and bowtie appear. A Cobalt ad showing the coupe.

hmmm... maybe my descriptions are lacking?

I thought most of them were good.

#1 especially caught my attention -- pushes the love of driving. You get off work so you can drive.

#2 was probably the least inspired, but did do a good job of pointing out the new warranty.

#3 was kind of a "picture yourself here" ad. Could be good if they show the car well.

#4 was odd, and it would really depend on the acting and directing to make it work.

I hope, if they make any of them, that they make #1. Even though they don't show the lineup, it's still a good "feeling" to associate with Chevy, I thought.

I came away from them all with a positive feeling. Certainly better than the Johnny.ca ads that they're running now. #4 and the Johnny ads have pretty much opposite messages. :lol: