The question of "bad cars"...

Variance

There are cars and trucks that are ugly, slow and/or impractical. They might have cheap interiors or suck at handling. They could also be obscenely overpriced or blandest thing on four wheels. You may just plain not like them as of course, taste and priorities vary from person to person.

In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm thinking the question of what is a bad car may be both subjective and objective as weird as it sounds. So I guess I have a two-part question here:

-Do you see the issue of "bad cars" as being subjective, objective or something in between?

-Based on that, are any "bad cars" made today?

It depends. Today, I wouldnt say there are any bad vehicles in the US market.

221344[/snapback]

i agree

except hatchbacks... but thats just because as far as im concerned... they are satan incarnate

I know the Echo's ugly, but what makes it a bad car?

221407[/snapback]

Really cheap construction, poor air conditioning, tippy bordering dangerous road handling, uncomfortable seating position, dangerously slow acceleration, and tinny engine. I realize all compacts have tinny engines, but the Echo's sounded like a bad Hamilton-Beech blender.

I'd say what makes it real bad is the general design - narrow, but high, leading to generally unstable driving characteristics. I know someone who got rid of a coupe because she honestly felt unsafe driving it on the highway. She had a Metro 5-door prior and replaced the Echo with Focus.

I think a bad car is a vehicle that fails in nearly every area. Reliability, styling, quality, design, features etc. Think 1st gen Hyunday Accent, the Yugo, Chevy Vega, Saturn ION, Pontiac Aztek, Ford Pinto, and introducing the new Chysler Sebring.

Not sure which generation these belong to, so I'll just give MYs.

'77 Toyota Corolla (Valve job at 10,000 km for my father, to which Toyota service said, WOW! You made it to 10,000 km without a valve job??)

'85 Hyundai Pony (General crappiness, and a hastily-closed door led to driver's window all over driver's lap)

About a month ago on a friday the last Taurus ever rolled

off the assembly line. I've always wondered how a car

that at one point was the best selling car in the USA could

be so freekin' crappy...? Between the Ford 3.8 liter's V6's

tendancy to blow head gaskets and a transmission which

lasted about 50,000 miles on average I can not

understand why in hell so many of these $hitboxes were

made & sold. The Taurus is a symbol of all that is/was

wrong with so many FWD American sedans, esp. in the

late 1980s and 1990s.

Any non-SHO Taurus is just as bad as any Camry to me.