My First Job...Finally!!!

american_revolution_2005

Well, I was sixteen and my ex and I were in my Dakota, things got kinda hot and next thing I knew she was....oh you mean job as in like getting paid to perform work not like BJ, HJ or RJ.

I worked at a grocery store, stocking and bagging. I got fired after three months.

Worked in the now-defunct world of "catalog stores". Anyone old enough to remember BEST or Service Merchandise? These were stores that felt it would be good to just stick one item on the floor for customers to look and then give then a tiny mini-golf pencil and an order form to fill out. Then they had to bring the form to the register, pay for it, and some poor schlub would find it in the warehouse (or not find it and have to tell the customer we don't have it even though they already paid for it) and roll it down the conveyor belt.

Well, I worked as customer service for Authur's, a catalog store that I believe only had stores in NJ. I was in the East Brunswick store. The kid I worked with had a 1985 IROC and I had a 1988 IROC. We at least had a good looking parking lot.

ETA: Satty, nice Violent Femmes callback in the sig.

219888[/snapback]

Best. Song. Ever!

Service Merchandise is still around as an internet-only retailer. Surprised the hell out of me when I found that out. I dont think I've seen an actual store since the early 90's.

Congrats on the job, a_r05

My first job was the secretary @ my parents' office. The old secretary decided to go back to school just as my school year ended. They really needed someone to fill in, and I figured $8/hr. to sit around, answer phones, and type stuff was better than sitting around at home for 10 weeks.

Oh yea i remember my first job like it was yeaterday, i was working at South Side Service were i was a shop bitch but i did mount and balance tires alot thouth too.

Edited by Charger4U

Yep, TED, crappy tire lol. My dad calls it that too. I almost called it that in my interview as well :unsure: That could've turned out bad but luckily I think before I talk. Our parking lot for employees isnt nice at all. Two riced up Acura Integras and a 1980s Lincoln Versailles that is pretty beat up.

Good going getting a job! Life skills in the making! Woooooo! :]

Do good and they'll see that you are a hardworking and dedicated worker and give you promotions!

Don't know if anybody knows Shaw's Supermarkets? It's up in New England. Anyway, started back in March as cart wrangler, then bagger, cashier, and now I help run the front end. I like it, wish they paid more though.

I must say that it really bothers me that some of my classmates think having a job is "beneath" them, and that mommy and daddy with take care of them. I dunno, maybe it's me being jealous, but it really bothers me if your parents bought you a car, pay your insurance, your gas, and your maintenance. Where are you learning to survive in the real world?

A kid in my homeroom got a brand new Saab 9-3 for his birthday. Totaled it 3 months later. Guess what? Next week at school, brand new Saab 9-3 in the lot. Hope is parents have fun paying that bill.

I worked at a meatpacking plant for 6 years, starting out making boxes on Saturday mornings when I was 15 and moving up to packing meat the following summer. Hours were long...6 AM until 4:30 - 6 PM (whenever production was done for the day), with only a 1/2 hour break at 9:00 and an hour lunch break. You would come home dead tired at the end of the day and end up doing nothing but sitting around because you were too tired to do anything else.

Later on, my boss noticed I had drawing talent at my high school graduation party and moved me up to the office for a little while to do some sketches of a plant expansion he was proposing. He ended up keeping me up there to file documents, do price reports, make deliveries, and deal with customers and suppliers. He also put me in charge of setting up the American Cancer Society golf tournament for our area (which he sponsored since his younger brother died of cancer in '95), and I did that for three summers.

It was a great job...I got trusted with a lot of responsibility for my age and got some good work experience that I have been able to apply to my current job.

I must say that it really bothers me that some of my classmates think having a job is "beneath" them, and that mommy and daddy with take care of them.  I dunno, maybe it's me being jealous, but it really bothers me if your parents bought you a car, pay your insurance, your gas, and your maintenance.  Where are you learning to survive in the real world?

A kid in my homeroom got a brand new Saab 9-3 for his birthday.  Totaled it 3 months later.  Guess what?  Next week at school, brand new Saab 9-3 in the lot.  Hope is parents have fun paying that bill.

220047[/snapback]

Meh. They'll only be f@#ked later on.

That's how it always turns out. Just ask my Dad's sister.

Worked in the now-defunct world of "catalog stores".  Anyone old enough to remember BEST or Service Merchandise?  These were stores that felt it would be good to just stick one item on the floor for customers to look and then give then a tiny mini-golf pencil and an order form to fill out.  Then they had to bring the form to the register, pay for it, and some poor schlub would find it in the warehouse (or not find it and have to tell the customer we don't have it even though they already paid for it) and roll it down the conveyor belt.

Well, I worked as customer service for Authur's, a catalog store that I believe only had stores in NJ.  I was in the East Brunswick store.  The kid I worked with had a 1985 IROC and I had a 1988 IROC.  We at least had a good looking parking lot.

219890[/snapback]

There was a BEST in Grand Forks when I was growing up. Been gone for a long time now.

I dunno, maybe it's me being jealous

220047[/snapback]

It is. Why worry about that kid's 9-3 and his parents' entertainment value from paying the bills? It's not your business; it doesn't affect you in the least. You can't hold it against the kid...what do you want him to say, "Mommy, please don't buy me a new car because you really should teach me a lesson instead?" HELL NAW!!

Unless off course he's running around bragging about it cuz that's definitely rude then...

I must say that it really bothers me that some of my classmates think having a job is "beneath" them, and that mommy and daddy with take care of them.  I dunno, maybe it's me being jealous, but it really bothers me if your parents bought you a car, pay your insurance, your gas, and your maintenance.  Where are you learning to survive in the real world?

220047[/snapback]

Well, coming from someone who almost fits that description (except I bought my own car), I most certainly don't think a job is beneath me. It's just hard to find a job I'd actually enjoy. I want a job that I'd actually be good at and want to do my best, not one that would have me going "This job sucks". That and I'm in no hurry to find one, though I should be, and should have had a job by the end of summer. As far as my parent's supporting me... Other than my insurance and possibly some maintenance, it isn't permanent and not something Im trying to do. I don't think it's that big of a concern anyways unless your 23 and still being supported by them. That's sad. A 17 year old, though? Almost typical. Most kids around here fit that description (though have jobs) and this isn't exactly a rich and snobby town.

I never worked in what I grew to associate with the typical mass employers of teens: retail, the food industry or pumping gas; one or the other of which all my friends did at one point.

My first paying job was mowing a few neighbor's lawns (which I did for a few summers).

My first working-for-someone-else paying job was resurfacing tennis courts & driveways for a paving company for one summer. One duty was opening a 55-gal drum of liquid tar, putting half in another empty barrel, adding (3) 5-gal pails of water, (2) 5-gal pails of sand and mixing it with a drill/attachment. Rolling/loading them onto the truck was fun too- must've weighed a good 500lbs (55gal of water + barrel = 400lbs). Tough job.

Congrats on the job, a-r :).

Anyone else remember their first job???

Oh my yes ... summer maintenance for the Elgin School District U-46. One of the chaps I worked with had a red '77 MC with swivel bucket seats. How could I NOT remember that? ;)

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"It almost seems like yesterday" ... Kenny Rogers ... '20 Years Ago'

Mine was working for the cleaning company that cleaned the Target store at the Fox River Mall. My brother-in-lew was my boss. It was actually a nice job in the summertime but watch out in the winter. Especially the day after Thanksgiving. Did that for 6.5 years than went to the company I am at now which makes circuit boards. That was 7 years and 2 months ago. Notic I dont change jobs much? I also cut older peoples lawns and did their snow before and during working at the cleaning job. I quit those when I started at my current job. 55 hour workweeks and doing that was a bit much.