Where've you lived?

knightfan26917

During my October road trip, I met someone from ChevyTalk.org who was a student of my grandfather in Ames OK. During the evening conversation, he happened to mention he used to live in Ames OK ... where my Mom and her brothers/sister/parents had once lived ... and we quickly discovered the connection, once I mentioned my grandfather's name.

With that experience in mind, where all have YOU lived? I'd bet some of us are "more connected" than we think....

As for me, I've lived in Elgin all my life, except, of course, for semesters at college in N Manchester IN (near Fort Wayne) ... and a month in Nashville TN in September 1996....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"The world rolls by a million miles away" ... James Taylor ... 'Our Town'

In chronological order:

Steubenville, Ohio 9 years (overlapping w/ PW, Oh)

Port Washington, Ohio 18 years

Marathon, Florida 6 years (overlapping w/ PW, Oh)

Kent, Ohio 4 years

Hudson, Ohio 2 years

Ann Arbor, Michigan 3 years

Chicago, Illinois <1 year

Colorado Springs, Colorado 5 years

Phoenix, Arizona < 1 year

Denver, Colorado 4.5 years

And I've also worked in San Jose and Oakland, California (while living in Colorado).

Next year? Either stay in Denver or move...

Edited by moltar

Kaukauna Wisconsin all my life. I have even lived in the same house since 1978 though that wont be for much longer because the city wants to tear it down for a road widening of highway 55.

Next year?  Either stay in Denver or move...

217226[/snapback]

But you seem to like Denver a lot, no?

My experiences moving around --

With Mom and Dad:

1. Los Angeles CA

2. Italy - on the island of Sicily

3. Teaneck NJ (brief - Dad tried NYC to be close to relatives but preferred LA)

4. Los Angeles CA (H.S. and college and a short while right after college)

Then, on my own:

5. Atlanta GA

6. Champaign IL ( Univ of Ill. - grad school)

7. Portland OR

8. Northern California

9. Seattle WA

10. Northern California

Next ?

After next summer, I plan to either remain somewhere in the area (possibly a suburb in the foothills of the Sierra) or do something more drastic like move to the southeastern U.S. -- like Florida.

Las Vegas, NV

Deadwood, SD

Differnece in population: 2,299,065 people

217418[/snapback]

Why did your family make such a big switch and how did they pick the new town? I have a friend who just bought herself a smallish brand new home in S.W. Las Vegas and she likes it there a lot compared to the San Fernando Valley in L.A.

Edited by trinacriabob

Why did your family make such a big switch and how did they pick the new town?  I have a friend who just bought herself a smallish brand new home in S.W. Las Vegas and she likes it there a lot compared to the San Fernando Valley in L.A.

217423[/snapback]

well my dad was born into this house and lived here for his childhood, so did my aunts and uncles, and he liked the idea of getting out of the city and since all my moms family lives near us she liked the idea too, one big influence was how big las vegas had grown since my mom and dad first moved there. We were lucky and sold our house when real estate was at its highest so that made things easier to start as well. its fun living here cause alot of my techers taught my dad and all my friends parents know my dad.

I admit las vegas has its good points, but other than that i like it here.

Southwest las vegas was really nice and had mainly cookie cutter homes. i lived in northeast las vegas were many of the homes were zoned for farm animals and the lots were usually an acre or too.

Edited by Charger4U

Here goes, in Order:

1981-1999 Clarenville, NL

1999-2001 Halifax, NS

2001-2002 Bonavista, NL

2002-2004 Clarenville, NL

2004-2005 Fort McMurray, AB

2005- present Edmonton, AB

It's getting a little crazy on the moving since I finished school.

Edited by Cremazie

March 24th, 1980 - March 22nd, 2002 Fort Worth, Texas

March 23rd, 2002 - November 23rd, 2005 Crandon, Wisconsin

November 24th, 2005 - Present Fort Worth, Texas

(Future plans include moving to Port Hueron, Michigan and then London, Ontario eventually if life works out that way and i'm hoping it does)

Edited by deftonesfan867

As for me, I've lived in Elgin all my life, except, of course, for semesters at college in N Manchester IN (near Fort Wayne) ... and a month in Nashville TN in September 1996....

My in-laws live in N. Manchester,Indiana and one of my ex-service managers went to Manchester College.

March 24th, 1980 - March 22nd, 2002 Fort Worth, Texas

March 23rd, 2002 - November 23rd, 2005 Crandon, Wisconsin

November 24th, 2005 - Present Fort Worth, Texas

(Future plans include moving to Port Hueron, Michigan and then London, Ontario eventually if life works out that way and i'm hoping it does)

217534[/snapback]

I want to move north and be a Canadian

Or hang down low with the nice Australians

I don't want to be another "I-don't-care"-ican

What are we gonna do Franco, Franco Un-American

-NOFX, Franco Unamerican

I once had a roommate when I lived in Easton who was from Port Huron. I can't believe I let him talk me into an impromptu road trip up there, leaving at like 2:30 a.m. after a night at the bar. The only time I've ever been within spitting distance of Canada.

Edited by ocnblu

But you seem to like Denver a lot, no?

Yeah, most likely if I move it will be out of Denver and into a bigger house in the Denver suburbs like Greenwood Village, Centennial, or Highlands Ranch. I have thought of a more distant change of venue, but that would depend on work... I'm getting pretty bored with my current job (though the money and benefits make it hard to leave).

INTERESTING STATISTIC

About 80 % of the US native population does not move further than 150 miles from where they were born.

Some of us here appear to be working within that statistic. I, for one, have blown it way out of the water.

My in-laws live in N. Manchester,Indiana and one of my ex-service managers went to Manchester College.

*raises eyebrow*

This is one of the reasons why I started this thread ... you just never know what connections you might be able to make. If you want, Waytoogood, PM me the names of you in-laws ... would be cool if I know them! When did your ex-service manager attend MC?

And, to the rest of ya, I sure hope that as ya'll are posting that you are looking at the locations from everyone ... who knows who any of us may know in common....

The possibilities are endless ;).

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"These hands are meant to hold" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Move Along'

Hawthorne, CA - Born, but to dangerous to stay

Eugene, OR - Hated living in Hippieville

Springfield, OR - Not much different than above, just more WTs

Lakewood, CA - Not bad, but not my style, pre-marriage without parents

Simi Valley, CA - Loved it, pre-marriage and wife doesn't like it

Fayetteville, AR - YUCK! Tried it for 3 months to be near Father-in-Law. He's backwards, and so are most of the people there.

Portland, OR - Not bad, just expensive and too condensed.

Dundee, OR - Near perfect country setting with many wine tasting rooms around us.

Hawthorne, CA - Born, but to dangerous to stay

Eugene, OR - Hated living in Hippieville

Springfield, OR - Not much different than above, just more WTs

Lakewood, CA - Not bad, but not my style, pre-marriage without parents

Simi Valley, CA - Loved it, pre-marriage and wife doesn't like it

Fayetteville, AR - YUCK!  Tried it for 3 months to be near Father-in-Law.  He's backwards, and so are most of the people there.

Portland, OR - Not bad, just expensive and too condensed.

Dundee, OR - Near perfect country setting with many wine tasting rooms around us.

217799[/snapback]

I'm laughing, since I know some of these too well.

CA:

Hawthorne - is it too dangerous? The eastern part abutting Inglewood might be but there's a western part abutting El Segundo (actually west of 405) that is supposedly ok.

Lakewood - isn't that, and Bellflower, kind of bland and sleepy?

Simi Valley - I could do that...I like what it's near to

OR:

Eugene - I H-A-T-E Eugene. Their architecture program at U of O would not admit me because I had majored in business before, despite near perfect grades. Business and from a Catholic university in So. Cal. does NOT fit the hippyish vibe of the U of O's architecture school.

Springfield - oh yes, cross into this twin city of Eugene and the W.T. factor is evident....as it is in Cottage Grove, Roseburg, Albany and all of those towns caked with Tonya Hardings.

Portland - my Mom is away from the density you speak of in the Mt. Scott neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

During my October road trip, I met someone from ChevyTalk.org who was a student of my grandfather in Ames OK.  During the evening conversation, he happened to mention he used to live in Ames OK ... where my Mom and her brothers/sister/parents had once lived ... and we quickly discovered the connection, once I mentioned my grandfather's name.

With that experience in mind, where all have YOU lived?  I'd bet some of us are "more connected" than we think....

"The world rolls by a million miles away" ... James Taylor ... 'Our Town'

217205[/snapback]

When I was living in Flint and Detroit, my aunt and uncle lived in Elgin!

Born: Oklahoma City

While a little kid, moved with the family from OKC to.......

St. Louis (year or two)

Somerset, NJ....outside of NYC (year or two)

San Jose, CA (6 mos)

Bedford, TX.....suburb of Dallas (up until college)

Flint, MI....while attending GMI

Clarkston, MI....suburb of Detroit in Oakland County (while working for Buick)

North Wales, PA....suburb of Philadelphia (2 yrs with Buick)

Danville, CA....East Bay suburb of San Francisco (2 yrs with Buick)

Long Beach, CA....southern California....(15mos)

Aliso Viejo, CA.....Orange County suburb of L.A......(last 7 years)

Born: Toronto

Lived in small towns north of Toronto.

Vancouver for 4 years.

More small towns north of Toronto.

Toronto

A big small town, an hour north of Toronto.

Toronto.

Born: Toronto

Lived in small towns north of Toronto.

Vancouver for 4 years.

More small towns north of Toronto.

Toronto

A big small town, an hour north of Toronto.

Toronto.

222051[/snapback]

Have you ever lived in Richmond Hill? I have a childhood acquaintance who I met while my family was vacationing in Italy and then corresponded with for about a year who grew up in a second-tier Ontario city but now lives there. Is it nice? What are the demographics?

I was just in "Van" over the American Thanksgiving holiday. I used to think it was paradise on earth and, from Seattle and Portland, was looking at what I could do to live/immigrate there. I am now pretty indifferent to it and find it kind of smug (the British influence, I presume). I also had the most pungent and inquisitive border-crossing into Canada EVER. If I had to live in Canada, it would be Montreal hands-down (the Quebecois have a helluva lot more of that quasi-obnoxious spirit I like, which is remarkable considering they have the &#036;h&#33;ty weather that makes people in places such as the Scandinavian and Baltic countries tend toward the morose).

Edited by trinacriabob

1979 - 1987 Slovakia, (Czechoslovakia back then)

1987 - 1991 Boston, MA

1991 - 1997 Andover, MA

1997 - 2002 Haverhill, MA (Bradford, technically)

2002 - 2004 Lowell, MA

2004 - 2006 Tyngsboro, MA

2006 - ???? Half way between Harvard Mass & Haverhill Mass.

1994-1995 Paramus, NJ

1995-2001 Seoul, South Korea

2001~ Toronto, ON

Richmond Hill is still a nice place. It's getting a little suburban lately, but there are a lot of very nice, very big homes there. Only a 20 minute drive downtown in good traffic.

Big little town = Collingwood - Ontario's ski capital LOL! Just don't blink on the way down!

Crap I don't remember.....LOL.....that was so long ago.....

LOL!

Ah, well ... would've been neat to know ... in case they lived in the same part of town I do....he heh.

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Come pick me up" ... Ben Folds ... 'Landed'