New GM Key Fob

HarleyEarl

Posted Image

GM's new key fob can check fuel level, tire pressures

Posted 11/15/2006 1:00 AM ET

The new fob will be a $150 option next year with Cadillac Escalades and other GM vehicles.

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

For sleepless car owners who decide they need to check their tire pressure in the middle of the night, General Motors has a solution.

GM (GM) plans to introduce a remote-control key fob next April that will allow drivers to not only determine the pressure in each tire, but also check the odometer reading, see if there's enough fuel in the tank to make it to work in the morning, change the radio station settings and see if they remembered to lock the car doors, to name a few.

The device will be a $150 option on Cadillac Escalade luxury SUVs and other full-size GM SUVs, pickups and crossover-utility vehicles.

"One of the overarching themes people told us they wanted was security and safety," GM spokesman Tom Henderson says. Being able to reassure themselves about their vehicles without leaving the house is one way to satisfy that.

The feature builds on GM's expertise as the first automaker to introduce remote start, which made its debut in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu and now is available from other automakers and as an add-on accessory.

GM says it will be first to offer remote two-way communication with the vehicle using a liquid-crystal display on the fob. The fob will operate at four to six times the range of competitors' keyless entry systems, GM says.

Automakers have been giving the remote-control key fob more and more tasks beyond the ability to lock or unlock the doors from a distance. Some will operate the power windows. Others are keyed to a car's memory settings and reset seats, mirrors, stereo and other functions to the driver's preference after a different driver has been using the vehicle.

BMW and Mercedes-Benz offer systems that adjust a vehicle's seats and mirrors to a drivers' personal preferences not from the fob, but as soon as the driver touches the outside door handle.

Volvo is planning a keyless entry system that can detect a heartbeat and alert the driver if someone is lurking inside the car. That'll be introduced on a new version of the S80 sedan in the USA in February. The same technology, with some changes, should eventually be able to remind drivers if they forget and leave children in the car.

GM says its two-way fob will cost less than $100 to replace if it's lost or broken. And it should be hard to break, Henderson says. For testing, it's been dropped, dunked underwater and sprayed with saltwater.

GM says the feature probably will be considered a bargain. Consumer test panels showed that interest in the feature rose, rather than fell, when panel members were told what GM planned to charge

Scenerio...you notice you have a low tire, you check the tire pressure as you walk up to your car, you get in and drive to the service station in the neighborhood and put some air in. You decide to check the other tires while you are at it....using the new key fob, as you crouch in the rain and sleet at the gas station...life is good.

I know it's just a feature, but why would you want to check your tire pressure remotely? It's not like you're driving the vehicle with the remote...

216620[/snapback]

you can look out side and go,... hm that's odd... let me check my tire OMG!!!! i have 2 flats!!!! be useful if it's f'n cold outside and you have to choose from more than one car lol

One of the overarching themes people told us they wanted was security and safety," GM spokesman Tom Henderson says. Being able to reassure themselves about their vehicles without leaving the house is one way to satisfy that

Thats what the majority of car buyers want.

And the price is right according to the story.

What about headlights? or do they all shut off automatically now. How many

times did you start to walk away from your car and wonder if you locked it up?

All GM vehicles have had automatic headlights (except GMDAT products) for years.

Wouldn't this fob be part of a keyless ignition system, like on the Vette? No need for a separate key.

Keys integrated into the fob are a nuisance, IMO. What if you want to leave the car running, lock it up and go back inside (which we in the north like to do in the winter?) I know with the Caddies they would all have remote start, but in the lower vehicles, being able to separate the key from the fob comes in handy sometimes.

I wish this could be programmed to control more than one GM vehicle. I find the fobs annoying...if you have more than one vehicle in your family and have the keys on the same key ring you're stuck with multiple fobs...which may even look identical. Add GM vehicle 1-4 to that sucker! Works for TV remotes, why not cars?

I love the integrated key/remote on my BMW...eliminates the exact multiple fob issue...GMC has the external remote, BMW was it integrated on the key...all keys on same key ring.

I wish this could be programmed to control more than one GM vehicle.  I find the fobs annoying...if you have more than one vehicle in your family and have the keys on the same key ring you're stuck with multiple fobs...which may even look identical.  Add GM vehicle 1-4 to that sucker!  Works for TV remotes, why not cars? 

I love the integrated key/remote on my BMW...eliminates the exact multiple fob issue...GMC has the external remote, BMW was it integrated on the key...all keys on same key ring.

216666[/snapback]

That just sounds like one more thing to lbreak or lose. Whats wrong with getting the ol' electrical tape out and putting it around the key. Or if you want facny they sell color coded key rings..

I think its a good idea and the fact yhou can lock the doors with the car running without removing the door key (if you even have one)...then all the better.

That just sounds like one more thing to lbreak or lose.  Whats wrong with getting the ol' electrical tape out and putting it around the key.  Or if you want facny they sell color coded key rings..

I think its a good idea and the fact yhou can lock the doors with the car running without removing the door key (if you even have one)...then all the better.

216708[/snapback]

It's the key fobs that are the issue not the keys. If I'd bought the CTS instead of the BMW, I'd have two bulky GM key fobs hanging off my key chain.

The trend towards keyless ignitions is making the fobs bigger.

It's the key fobs that are the issue not the keys.  If I'd bought the CTS instead of the BMW, I'd have two bulky GM key fobs hanging off my key chain. 

The trend towards keyless ignitions is making the fobs bigger.

216716[/snapback]

Im not sure I get what youre saying. If you have 2 BMW's its ok? A fob is a fob.

I dont mean to sound like a wise ass. Not all cars are gonna match anyway. And if you need two sets of keys why not leave them in the glove. Unless you were dumb enought o program the starting location on the navigation screen to your house?

I heard a Toyota commercial earlier today that pissed me off. It was a woman talking about how glad she was her toyota unlocked the doors for her as she walked near it. It sensed her key and she didnt have to fumble around her purse for it.

Have we become this lazy? Since when dodnt you have your keys out to begin with? They got some balls. I cant even begin to start.

I was never one for the beepers and cell phones;unless i really need to have one. And im glad when i dont...This is all very decadent in a way to me, but ive never seen a key chain with all those readouts.

And theres onstar if youre really f@#ked...i wonder if theres a panic button on the fab for an emergency. That would be something.

The point is that fobs in general are bulky, and it's much nicer to have the remote integrated into the key, which is pretty much standard issue with luxury vehicles now.

I think the Corvette was one of the first, if not the first, with passive keyless entry.

I like the idea of them being separate but understand how it can be a nuissance--although i personally find it more of a convenience.

General question--Is the fob able to disengage from the actual key on the BMW or any integrated keys you know of? so you can run into a store by detaching it somehow.

I think it's a pretty good idea. I'd want to see it in person before I comment on its size. Who knows? It may not be much larger than the keyfobs GM has now. This should be expanded to more than the large SUVs, though. Caddy should offer it as standard.

I think it's a pretty good idea.  I'd want to see it in person before I comment on its size.  Who knows?  It may not be much larger than the keyfobs GM has now.  This should be expanded to more than the large SUVs, though.  Caddy should offer it as standard.

216904[/snapback]

Go ahead and comment... the above pic is actual size. :P

I'm sure Cadillac will eventually offer this on all Cadillacs. As it becomes more popular, the $100/$150 fee can easily be absorbed in the vehicle price and made standard. That goes for all GM models.

Im not sure I get what youre saying.  If you have 2 BMW's its ok?  A fob is a fob.

I dont mean to sound like a wise ass.  Not all cars are gonna match anyway.  And if you need two sets of keys why not leave them in the glove.   Unless you were dumb enought o program the starting location on the navigation screen to your house?

I heard a Toyota commercial earlier today that pissed me off.  It was  a woman talking about how glad she was her toyota unlocked the doors for her as she walked near it.  It sensed her key and she didnt have to fumble around her purse for it.

Have we become this lazy?  Since when dodnt you have your keys out to begin with?  They got some balls.  I cant even begin to start.

I was never one for the beepers and cell phones;unless i really need to have one.  And im glad when i dont...This is all very decadent in a way to me,  but ive never seen a key chain with all those readouts.

And theres onstar if youre really f@#ked...i wonder if theres a panic button on the fab for an emergency.  That would be something.

216748[/snapback]

wow you're a curmudgeon. LOL You still have an outhouse and stockpile ammo in the barricades behind the earth hut?

:rolleyes: j/k

Technology moves on. Studfinders, laser levels, compact discs, coffee makers......

its called human evolution, time savers, etc.

they do have WIRELESS PHONES these days. pretty cool stuff. drivethru's for your burgers

Edited by regfootball

>>"Studfinders, laser levels, compact discs, coffee makers...... its called human evolution, time savers, etc."<<

Technology increasingly enables the unskilled and the lazy.

There is something to be said for being able to accomplish a challenge using less complex tools and a more complex mind.

On topic- I find fobs in general to be an annoyance rather than a convenience.

Go ahead and comment... the above pic is actual size.  :P

I'm sure Cadillac will eventually offer this on all Cadillacs. As it becomes more popular, the $100/$150 fee can easily be absorbed in the vehicle price and made standard. That goes for all GM models.

216914[/snapback]

I don't think it will be integrated with keyless ignition because they contradict each other. Either keep the keys in your pocket and let the car sense you, or take the key out and read info from the LCD screen.

Keys integrated into the fob are a nuisance, IMO.  What if you want to leave the car running, lock it up and go back inside (which we in the north like to do in the winter?)  I know with the Caddies they would all have remote start, but in the lower vehicles, being able to separate the key from the fob comes in handy sometimes.

216645[/snapback]

That's what the "rest" button is for.

I know with iDrive, you can program the heater to come on every morning before heading for work.

wow you're a curmudgeon. LOL    You still have an outhouse and stockpile ammo in the barricades behind the earth hut?

:rolleyes: j/k

Technology moves on.  Studfinders, laser levels, compact discs, coffee makers......

its called human evolution, time savers, etc.

they do have WIRELESS PHONES these days.  pretty cool stuff.  drivethru's for your burgers

216987[/snapback]

:yes: yup.

ehh. dont need it, ...if im out doing something...why do you need to reach me? Sometimes I just dont want to be found. And most people dont have the sense God gave them when their on their cellys in particular.

Just yesterday Driver's fatal cell phone mistake

Dongan Hills woman dies, passengers hurt in crash blamed on distraction

Thursday, November 16, 2006

By JOHN ANNESE

A driver reaching for her cell phone was killed when she veered into oncoming traffic and slammed into another vehicle on Hylan Boulevard in Prince's Bay yesterday.

Tracy Ann Beattie, 35, of Dongan Hills, was Tottenville-bound in an Oldsmobile sedan, chatting with two friends in her car, when she reached down to grab her phone, according to a police source close to the investigation.

I understand thats not everyone...but its not the first time so there are others.

Accidents waiting to happen. :mellow:

And im sorry but I just dont see the importance of keyless entry. I can think of times and places i might not want my doors to unlock by themselves.

4 wheels a motor and everything else is gravy.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I don't think it will be integrated with keyless ignition because they contradict each other. Either keep the keys in your pocket and let the car sense you, or take the key out and read info from the LCD screen.

217009[/snapback]

Eh... sorry, but I disagree. GM isn't going to phase out keyless ignition. Keys are being phased out.

The Fob will just evolve into a mobilized DIC/remote control interface for your car. Ignition can take care of itself.

There is something to be said for being able to accomplish a challenge using less complex tools and a more complex mind.

217005[/snapback]

think of it this way. the complex mind figured out how to skin the cat once in a masterful way, instead of repetitively having to do it over and over again the 'simple' way.

fud4thot

Eh... sorry, but I disagree. GM isn't going to phase out keyless ignition. Keys are being phased out.

The Fob will just evolve into a mobilized DIC/remote control interface for your car. Ignition can take care of itself.

217050[/snapback]

No, I agree that keys are finished. I just see this new fob as a cheap alternative to full Cadillac or Corvette-style keyless ignition, hence its application on Tahoes and Silverados, not XLRs or STSs.

think of it this way.  the complex mind figured out how to skin the cat once in a masterful way, instead of repetitively having to do it over and over again the 'simple' way.

That's all well & good for that one guy, but what about everyone else? They stand there, slack-jawed & glassy-eyed, waiting for some illegals to skin their cat for them. Remember; that's what happened to the Dodo. :P

Remote unlocking is so convenient its almost stupid to hate it. Groceries, dogs, child seats, all things that make manually unlocking a door a pain in the ass. I like the Fusion's setup, it only honks if you hit the button twice, otherwise it just flashes the lights. I also hate the honking, but can see why some people like it, it lets you know for sure that your car is locked and that you didn't accidentally hit the wrong button or something. The new fob is kinda cool, but I would still prefer the DIC in the radio like the Malibu, easier to see and scan through than in the gauges.

Remote unlocking is so convenient its almost stupid to hate it.  Groceries, dogs, child seats, all things that make manually unlocking a door a pain in the ass.  I like the Fusion's setup, it only honks if you hit the button twice, otherwise it just flashes the lights.  I also hate the honking, but can see why some people like it, it lets you know for sure that your car is locked and that you didn't accidentally hit the wrong button or something.  The new fob is kinda cool, but I would still prefer the DIC in the radio like the Malibu, easier to see and scan through than in the gauges.

217217[/snapback]

Exactly! It's convenient, not only for the driver but for passengers as well. It annoys me when I go to get in someones car, and I have to wait for them to manually unlock their door then unlock the rest. Also, in regards to the honking, the car will usually have a different honk if a door or trunk is ajar. You can't complain about that...

Remote unlocking is so convenient its almost stupid to hate it.  Groceries, dogs, child seats, all things that make manually unlocking a door a pain in the ass.  I like the Fusion's setup, it only honks if you hit the button twice, otherwise it just flashes the lights.  I also hate the honking, but can see why some people like it, it lets you know for sure that your car is locked and that you didn't accidentally hit the wrong button or something.  The new fob is kinda cool, but I would still prefer the DIC in the radio like the Malibu, easier to see and scan through than in the gauges.

217217[/snapback]

Its not about loving or hating a technology for me. The thing that pisses me off is toyotas marketing for this feature. They tout it as a safety feature. Its a luxury or convenience at best.

GM could probably go with a safety themed marketing blitz with this, and succeed...but i see it more as we need to know everything about anything click a button and here it is internet age. It is good to know all that info. Its nice to have it at your fingertip...

why not say the special coating on the windshield wiper clears the rain better than a xxxx...the liquid crystal display (emphasis on crystal) is at the perfect ambience not to disorient you while checking the time?...its all bogus or gimmicky to me. Its a convenience and nothing more.

If GM were smart enough or able to theyd find a way to incoorporate it into your cell phone. ...maybe thats whats next.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool feature. Too bad it has the design prowess of a Uniden cordless phone. And it's not integrated with the key.

216604[/snapback]

I agree......this is wasted GM effort, time, and money.

Give us an integrated keyfob and key like (just about) EVERYONE ELSE is doing.....

I get so sick and tired of my key fob bangin' on my knee as I drive as it hangs down from my keyring....

This is really just taking what exists in the aftermarket, and making it available from the manufacturer. While I like the idea of the integrated key & fob, what I DON'T like is the stories of when one breaks or dies, and the cost associated. With my car, I can get a brand new fob from the dealer for about $60, which seems reasonable (for a dealer price, at least - I can find it on e-bay for $15-20). I've heard of the integrated ones costing several hundred, easy.

My thought: GM, work toward an integrated setup, but make the key part easily separable from the fob with a screwdriver, so if you need a new key, you can buy just the key part and not the fob, and vice versa. Make them well, too, so fewer people complain about the cost of replacement.

Who needs keys? I'm happy just having the fob in my pocket and being able to push a button to start the car. Between my garage and my driveway there are 5 vehicles. I'd be happy if I could simply have *one* fob in my pocket which allowed me to get into any one of them and drive off. Now THERE's a concept.

Posted Image

216597[/snapback]

Cool!

I'm sure that in a couple years time GM and Apple will bring you the iFob: the iPod key fob for your GM car! :P

Checking fuel levels and tire pressures remotely can be convenient, especially for the "not so car care inclined" crowd.