GM Responds to Roadster Complaints

Flybrian

GM continues to upgrade Solstice, Sky

Link to Original Article @ LeftLaneNews

Posted Image

The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky have been a smash hit for General Motors, and the automaker is looking to keep it that way. Shortly after launching the cars, GM responded to media and consumer feedback by adding a reinforcing brace added between the transmission and differential, implementing a more usable third gear, and improving wind noise.

Now, the company is making further changes to ensure continued positive reviews. According to Edmunds, GM is adding power door locks to both roadsters, as well as height-adjustable drivers' seats. The company is also said be looking at improving the cup-holders and adding a brighter radio display that won't be washed out by the sun.

GM continues to upgrade Solstice, Sky

Link to Original Article @ LeftLaneNews

Posted Image

The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky have been a smash hit for General Motors, and the automaker is looking to keep it that way. Shortly after launching the cars, GM responded to media and consumer feedback by adding a reinforcing brace added between the transmission and differential, implementing a more usable third gear, and improving wind noise.

Now, the company is making further changes to ensure continued positive reviews. According to Edmunds, GM is adding power door locks to both roadsters, as well as height-adjustable drivers' seats. The company is also said be looking at improving the cup-holders and adding a brighter radio display that won't be washed out by the sun.

216540[/snapback]

this doesnt sound like the old gm...

good catch!

hmm, solstice has to do with the sun, which is a big fire ball. 

and then throw a bird on that fire...:pbjtime:

216621[/snapback]

Yeah, thats it. Theyre foreshadowing the comeback of the fire bird. Cleverly

disguised in a photoshop.

Lets count every 7 and 11th letter to reveal the rest of the message.

Anyone wonder how rumours get started. All in all, very Machiavellian when

you ponder it.

Yeah, thats it.  Theyre foreshadowing the comeback of the fire bird.  Cleverly

Anyone wonder how rumours get started.  All in all, very Machiavellian when

you ponder it.

216640[/snapback]

No one said anything about the return of the Firebird... For that matter I don't think anyone anticipates the return of the Firebird.

Though "Firebird" was the very first thing I thought when I saw the pic. And since in the modern day we look at the small car for speed, the Solstice GXP makes a pleasant successor to the ol Screaming Chicken.

...For now. :scratchchin:

The old GM would put out a car before it's ready, make improvements over the next three years until it's finally right, and then kill it.

216676[/snapback]

True. As for these changes, I've heard about most of them before, but one thing stinks for sure...if you jumped earlier and bought one before any upgrades or with just some of them. Guess it's the same as not owning the latest model year with little revisions, but still a little disappointing.

But also great to hear GM is listening, recording, and jumping right on just about every little thing they hear of substance. A big part of it also has been simply calling new buyers a bit after their purchase to ask questions and inquire about things they think should change or are the best...they for sure have done this with cars like the CTS, and lately (according to some owners boards) have been calling quite a few Solstice/Sky owners to ask about their experiences.

Guest YellowJacket894

good catch!

Hmm, solstice has to do with the sun, which is a big fire ball. 

and then throw a bird on that fire...:pbjtime:

Yeah, thats it. Theyre foreshadowing the comeback of the fire bird. Cleverly

Anyone wonder how rumours get started. All in all, very Machiavellian when

you ponder it.

No one said anything about the return of the Firebird... For that matter I don't think anyone anticipates the return of the Firebird.

Though "Firebird" was the very first thing I thought when I saw the pic. And since in the modern day we look at the small car for speed, the Solstice GXP makes a pleasant successor to the ol Screaming Chicken.

...For now.

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.

Such a heavy burden now to be the One.

Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,

To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen

$h! the bed again ...

Typical."

:D

You guys are looking into it from a rather obvious perspective. The bird there is obviously meant to be a Phoenix. A Phoenix is a bird that rises from the ashes everytime it is destroyed, of course. It obviously holds a lot of symbolism for Pontiac and what the Solstice means to future products.

Yes, it was also a very anonymous Chevy Citation re-badge from Eighties, too. But you should have forgotten about that by now. :D

Bird shadow?  When I saw it first thing I thought was it was paying homage to the Firebird.

216757[/snapback]

That's what I thought too, but why would they want to have the Firebird's image in a Solstice picture? Unless they're hinting at a new Firebird, I don't understand...

They're probably just toying with us, and sitting there laughing as we try to guess the significance of something that has no significance at all.

Back on the Solstice, my dealer is very dumb. They have one new Solstice, and two used ones. The used ones have a HIGHER price than the new one. They also had a GXP for all of 1 or 2 days sitting next to a used regular Solstice... and the GXP was cheaper!

Personally, I think GM should make the GXP the standard Solstice, people will pay the premium, and it will help to move Pontiac a little upscale.

Well I know up here in Canada, the ads for the Solstice show it driving down a road and all of a sudden transforming into a giant flock of birds flying free...

Aaaaand.... if you right click on the image, you will see it's from GM Canada.

There's no hint of the Firebird whatsoever. Sorry guys.

Looks like Canada broke your guys' balls again. :P:lol:

first and foremost I have to say I am loving that gm is addressing these problems and trying to fix them before it goes on for too long and fix it at the last moment then kill it.

That said they need to do something about the trunk space and/or the shape and size of the gas tank. The top itself is not the problem as some magazine reviews lead you on to believe. Just the location and shape of the fuel tank. I think if they could engineer something like the vette's split tanks people would pay extra for the room in the trunk.

Well I know up here in Canada, the ads for the Solstice show it driving down a road and all of a sudden transforming into a giant flock of birds flying free...

Aaaaand.... if you right click on the image, you will see it's from GM Canada.

There's no hint of the Firebird whatsoever. Sorry guys.

Looks like Canada broke your guys' balls again.  :P  :lol:

216771[/snapback]

Yea, but I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the bird looks like a hawk and then there was that one edition of the Firebird...Firehawk. I think it's a nod to past performance Pontiac convertibles...

geeze, and here all along I always thought Pontiacs use of a birds beak headerpanel was the first hint that the Firebird was comming back..............

wonder if it could just be the Native American thing, you know, birds of prey, feathers, arrowheads, war leader, Obwandiyag..........

As for the consideration of getting a few elementary things right after the fact ? All I can say is..........."what ? did some czar maximum product guru wake up from their dreamy afternoon nap ?"

but dont worry about the G6 GTP, theres no manual shifter problems there, no cockpit issues.........notin, notta, that car was perfect right from the drawing board, there was never even a need to track test it during development

trunk space ? "Dah, we dont need no stinkin trunk space! " that would create disproportional unsightly prehistoric overhangs.

non the less, lets give credit where credit is due "way to go girls......er...dream team", lets boogie......... :pbjtime:

interpretation:

{that was part :P , part :angry: }...K... :AH-HA_wink:

the kinda did this with the CTS also. Since my 2004 CTS, they've changed the gauges, changed the shifter on the automatics, added a medium setting to the heated seats <previously the only settings were "tepid" and "1st degree">, upgraded the rear differential, and some external visual changes on the Sport model.

as good as their response is, they should have figured those things out before the launch.

i hate buying a car, only to have the flaws fixed in the next model year. what do they expect me to do, trade it in after a year? who would want my used XXXX, when the next model year has the much needed improvements.

as good as their response is, they should have figured those things out before the launch.

i hate buying a car, only to have the flaws fixed in the next model year. what do they expect me to do, trade it in after a year? who would want my used XXXX, when the next model year has the much needed improvements.

216998[/snapback]

From a collectors standpoint its interesting how that stuff shakes out. But in the least most "improvements" can be retrofitted or modified at your own expense if you want to just sell it off...

I think its just a departure from the SOS beuracratic bs that has pervaded the usual operating procedures. 8)

We all know nothing is ever going to be perfect...ever. Even in the 90K + Mercedes S class people want a thinner instruction manual.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

216998[/snapback]

All manufacturers do this. It's good to see GM finally fixing issues while a vehicle is still hot in the market. There are at least a few GM vehicles that would have been remembered differently if GM had done this: Allante, Reatta, Fiero... sure there are many others.

The old GM would put out a car before it's ready, make improvements over the next three years until it's finally right, and then kill it.

216676[/snapback]

You mean, like the Fiero :twocents:

BTW, sorry for being late to the party.

Maybe they're eluding to a possible Kappa-based coupe that would be called the Firebird.

Though "Firebird" was the very first thing I thought when I saw the pic.  And since in the modern day we look at the small car for speed, the Solstice GXP makes a pleasant successor to the ol Screaming Chicken.

...For now.  :scratchchin:

216680[/snapback]

The 4th gen bird was small. Anyway this is great, but they'll have to keep the price and weight the same, instead of increasing it...

Edited by -Camaro-