Automotive Collectibles

HarleyEarl

I have always wanted to start a collection of automotive stuff, but haven't yet.

Who collects all things automotive here? Where do you source it? Who has something very unusual, rare?

I've always like vintage photos and collectibles of gas stations....don't know why, but it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I have a bunch of random car brochures, though some get butchered and put on my wall. Otherwise, I have a bunch of 1:18 scale models of random cars. Most of which I tried selling but I never went through with any sales. I'd still like to sell some of them if I can. I also have some badges off certain vehicles... So if you ever need 1993 Cavalier RS... Cutlass Supreme... or Cutlass Ciera badges.. I have them! Haha... Also have some emblems, including the one off our old 89 Regal.

I've got a lot of different automobilia... brochures, almost 30 years worth of Car and Driver and Road & Track magazines, lots of other magazines, over 10k diecast of all scales (Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Dinky, Corgi, Johnny Lightning, Danbury Mint, etc), a couple hundred dealer promos, 1000+ plastic model kits, etc...

One of the best shows I used to frequent was the Collectible Toy Fair in Toledo, Ohio...2-3 times a year, tons of diecast, model cars, promos, brochures...it was/is a national scale event.

My best source for stuff today is ebaY, though...

Edited by moltar

I have a small collection of several unique automobile related items. An Oldsmobile Final 500 Intrigue pewter belt buckle that was given to employees on the last day at the plant, a pewter model of an Aurora and one of an Intrigue that are in a little glass case that were given to salesmen, a golf ball display that spells out Oldsmobile, 2 Large 2002 and 2003 Oldsmobile dealer albums, several Oldsmobile press kits (01 Aurora, 97 Anniversary, 01 OSV'S, Profile, 01 Full line, and some others), a 6 pack of coca-cola Olds 100th anniversary bottles, and many brochures and a few other press kits.

I have about 4500 print ads back to the 'teens, hundreds of magazines & clipped pages/pictures, books, brochures.... maybe 25K pieces.

215408[/snapback]

omg...I knew you had some, but not that extensive!.....open a little museum, so I can come see....I'd have to bring some extra depends.

I have some *cough* stuff. :AH-HA_wink:

Haven't posted any pics of the prototype Firehawk spoiler I picked-up yet since my camera decided to fail.

You guys have seen the Firehawk collection.

I have a bunch of brochures/press kits etc.

And some other stuff hanging around.

Ask 68, he and I rooted through it when he stopped in about a year ago.

when ever i am at parts galore junkyard I will gank a bunch of car emblems mostly oldsmobile right now. I also decide to steal a gas gaueg from a 84 buick riviera.

I have a pretty big collection of car brochures (pretty much all makes), all the Oldsmobile dealer albums from 1983 and newer, Oldsmobile price and spec handbooks from the 90s, and some assorted Oldsmobile dealer posters. I also have a bunch of license plates, some random emblems and hubcaps and my Johnny Lightning diecast.. all collected from various sources.

It seems as if I have a lot of the same stuff as everyone else here already posted about. I have magazines dating back to the '90s for Pontiac Enthusiast and High Performance Pontiac, old pickup truck magazines, C&D/MT/R&T etc. and some specialty magazines (like a three-issue set on classic trucks from 1992). I have tons of diecast cars in all scales, but namely 1:87/1:64 (MB/HW size), 1:24, 1:32, and 1:18. I also have some promo models that I began collecting around 1989 into the mid-'90s. There is my HESS truck collection, dating back to the 1989 issue. I had a really large brochure collection from 1989 through 2001, until my parents moved and most of it had to go out for recycling (no storage space). I still have quite a few brochures from that time period (mostly Pontiac & GMC), and of course what I added to it over the years from 2002 and up. I have some emblems (mostly GMC) and press (media) kits and some interesting pieces bought from eBay (a Terradyne belt buckle). And then there's the small collection of Tonka trucks I've been picking up and putting aside for my little guy (15-mos old now) when he gets a little older.

Although we moved to a much bigger place in 2004, my basement is horrible and so cluttered. I didn't mention above that I also collected Star Wars toys, so I have a bunch of that stuff taking up space too. My sister has been doing really well selling her stuff on eBay, and I've been meaning to thin out my collection for a while now. So during the holidays I'm going to explore eBay and then start selling my stuff there.

Be careful HarleyEarl, because once you start it's hard to go cold turkey!!! :lol:

Ask XP715 about my "collection", he's one of only a few

people to ever see the majority of it. As of last count I

had 3000+ cars from the 1:64 (Hot Wheels) to 1:18scale

stuff. That was in 2002 and does not include all the

unpackaged stuff. I'd say 4700-5000 is a very accurate

figure but that's just model cars.

I also collect emblems, magazines, license plates, car

parts, books, brochures....

My car models are in exceptional shape becasue when

I was ten years old my parents took me to the Toy &

Train Museum near Plymouth, MA I realised someday

I'd love to have my own museum. Only time will tell.

Hmmm...let's see....

car models

car brochures (specifically Monte Carlo)

and a few other things.

I'll be posting pics of stuff here in a few weeks....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"You really think you're in control?" ... Gnarls Barkley ... 'Crazy'

My car models are in exceptional shape becasue when

I was ten years old my parents took me to the Toy &

Train Museum near Plymouth, MA I realised someday

I'd love to have my own museum. Only time will tell.

215984[/snapback]

Luv that poster in your sig...never saw that before.

I collect pictures of cars from the internet. I have probably 3 Gigs of pics saved on my hard drive, mostly from the Big 3.

I also collect Johnny Lightnings and sometimes build 1:24 scale Revel models. I have the Standard Catalog of Mustang and Firebird / Trans Am (great informative books with lots of full color photos), and also own the gold-cover "100 Years of Ford" book and the Oldsmobile 100th anniversary book from 1997.

It's kinda sad to read the end of the Olds book, because they talk about great things that lay ahead for the brand in the 21st century...

I have about 4500 print ads back to the 'teens, hundreds of magazines & clipped pages/pictures, books, brochures.... maybe 25K pieces.

215408[/snapback]

I collect print ads too, but not to that magnitude! I probably have about 200.

Like others, I have brochures, magazines, posters, emblems etc. Some of it is in my garage now but most of it is in boxes in storage. I have some really nice model trucks, one says GM Flint Manufacturing plant and another says Chevrolet makes sense for America on it. I will try to post some pics.