The C&G Curse finally "hit" me...

GMTruckGuy74

Yes my friends, I'm sad to write that my beloved Saturn SKY was the unfortunate punching bag of a silver 2000 Monte Carlo this past Saturday afternoon. Long story short, I was in the right lane, the MC (out-of-state driver -- Ohio) was in the middle lane, she thought she was passing her hotel and decided to just turn right into me. I tried to swerve so she'd miss me, but instead of breaking she hit the gas and plowed into my driver's door, the driver's rear fender, small portion of the left rear bumper and damaged the chrome rim (and tire damage b/c the plastic inner fender is now scraping the tire). Very pissed, but was surprised b/c the wife jumped out of the car ready to kill the girl who hit me!!! :o And I thought she didn't love the SKY! :lol:

OnStar brought the police to the scene very quickly, and at first she had no proof of insurance on her (a call to dad in Ohio produced a policy number for Allstate). Wanna know something ironic? This accident ocurred on the opposite side of the street in front of my Saturn dealership!!! Attached are some preliminary pictures taken in my garage yesterday morning (it was a rainy day, so no outside sunny pics yet).

Ocnblu: I would like to know from you how bad this damage appears; I'm really concerned with the damage around the rear fender/gas filler door area. Any advice you can share now will help me deal later (if necessary).

post-418-1163406581_thumb.jpg

post-418-1163406604_thumb.jpg

post-418-1163406630_thumb.jpg

post-418-1163406652_thumb.jpg

youre lucky because of where the damage is. pictures dont lie and the insurance should and will see that this was in fact her fault.

she should have been paying more attention.

edit: good luck but it all looks cosmetic. new door, new quarter panel...get the estimates and it should be paid for...

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Well, I can't enlarge the pictures, but from what I can see, it at least needs a door skin, if not a whole door shell, and of course it needs a new quarter panel, a wheel, possibly a tire if it is damaged, a fender liner, and a 4 wheel alignment to check for suspension damage at the rear. Don't forget to replace any clear stone protectors, sometimes shops don't pay attention to that detail.

This is a complete travesty... I'm very sorry, GMTruckguy.

Wow.. that sucks dude. Sorry to hear that.

All the best of luck, at least today you

know they can repair it 100% what with

the laser this and frame puller that.

Glad to hear no one was hurt... except for

your beautiful Sky.

I've driven the Super 88 over 2000 miles

since I got it this past June. About 1900 of

that has been to work and back while the

Datsun awaits rear brake calipers. I drive

so damn defensively it's not even funny.

So far I've had about 7 close calls where

morons were not paying attention. Four

were Toyotas, Toyotas, one was a Honda

CRV, one brand new Dodge Dakota & if

you beleive it the worst was a dumb little

deuche bag in a Black Alero. She pulled

out right in front of me on Rt.4 and I had

swerve around her, over a very shallow

curb & into an empty parking lot at about

40mph while my Horn was blaring like the

siren in Silent Hill.

I had been going about 40/45 mph & at

about 30 feet away she pulled out RIGHT

in front of me with a car full of her High

School girly friends. They almost all f@#kin'

died. If I had not been in the mood for the

particular Frank Sinatra tune blasting from

my AM radio (740) and I had been

changing the radio station my right fender

would have sliced that Alero like a butcher

knife through roast beef and I probably

would have killed 3 out of the five of them.

KNOCK ON WOD

Thanks everyone. I'm still so pissed that she hit my baby. I hardly ever drive her and the one day that it's beautiful out and I get her on the road and BAM. Oh well, I guess that's what insurance is for. Mustang84, I'd say we were travellinga bout 35-40 MPH when she turned right into me.

I contacted the dealership and they have two body shops they deal with. One has done minor repair jobs on atleast one SKY, while the other had rebuilt a very damaged SKY. So it's likely I'm going to choose that shop since they already have more knowledge about the car.

For those that can't enlarge the attached pics, here they are for you:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully the rain stops this afternoon so I can pull it out of the garage and take more pictures of it and check out where this rattling noise is coming from on the passenger side (which was NOT hit).

Oh... thanks for supersizing the pictures. Your quarter panel looks better than I feared. I would say it would be a better move to repair your quarter panel rather than replace it. Much less intrusive on the body structure than cutting out all those welds and replacing it. Plus you will retain the factory corrosion protection at the welded seam. I still can't tell much about the door though. If the crash beam has been damaged, it needs a new door shell.

Best of luck with the repairs, GMTG74.

Ouch!.. hope all turns out like new in the end.

By the way.. slightly off topic but anyone have any idea as to when this "curse"started? And of those affected, how many got it the worst (as in totaled)?

Edited by mjdecker

Ouch!.. hope all turns out like new in the end.

By the way.. slightly off topic but anyone have any idea as to when this "curse"started? And of those affected, how many got it the worst (as in totaled)?

215971[/snapback]

the numbers are high but my 01 silverado was totaled.

How can a car that looks so nice on this side:

Posted Image

look so bad on this side:

Posted Image

:nono::cry:

I haven't heard from the girl's insurance company (Allstate), so I called them yesterday afternoon and get a bit of the run-around. Finally track down her adjuster and guess what - her voicemail message says she's on vacation starting November 17 and returns December 6!!! WTF? No courtesy call before she leaves? Called the 800 # and was told someone would call me back in 15 minutes.... no call! So tomorrow I will call them back and raise some hell. My insurance company is coming out to do their own appraisal, and I need to get the body shop that my dealer recommended (they don't have their own shop onsite) to give me an estimate so I can proceed with Allstate to pay up. I'm tired of looking at it sitting in my garage damaged. I was told by the service consultant that another SKY from their other dealership has been in a bad accident - guy was searching for a # in his cell, not paying attention to the road, went off the road, rolled down a hill hitting everything in his way. She said it sounds as if his car might be totalled. Idiot! At least my accident wasn't my fault!

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I'm so so sorry. That beautiful car shouldn't have to go through this. Keep on the insurance company though....call them every day if you have to. It is what I had to get my last claim hurried up after i got backed into in a parking lot. Plus if her adjuster is going to be gone for that long, demand that someone else from Allstate get this settled.

Allstate, or any insurance company asked to accept liability, has to speak to both parties involved. Their insured may not have given a statement to them yet. They may be waiting on a police report. Some police agencies take their good old time sending that vital information to the insurance company. They won't accept liability until they have all the info they need.

Which company do you have? It may be quicker to go through them, then they'll subrogate to Allstate and you will eventually get your deductible back. Or, you may decide it is best to wait for Allstate to complete their investigation.

Your company has to respond right away because they are only concerned about you, their customer, and the damage to your car. They don't have to investigate or wait for paperwork.

Ocnblu, you're absolutely correct with your advise and that stupid police report still wasn't ready yesterday... I guess "5 days" means five business days. However, the lady from the records dept said to call back today to see if it is ready. I want to see how the officer wrote the accident report (description) -- he stated to me that she admitted she hit me and that's how he was going to write it. But I forgot to ask him if she was going to be issued a ticket, and I know it will be on the report eitehr way.

What ticks me off about Allstate is that when I filed the claim against her on Monday, they said that a representative will be in contact within 1 day. I asked if that really is more like 2-4 days and she said "no, they'll call you within 24 hours". That was Monday at 4:05 PM - I still didn't have a call by 3:30 PM on Thursday! And then I get the run-around and the adjuster doesn't even call me back at all!

I also understand what you're saying about going through my insurance company. But that means I'll have to put out my $500 collision deductible and God only knows when that would ever be paid back (holidays are quickly approaching, wife said no - let her insurance company pay since she damaged the car). So we'll see how fruitful the call to Allstate is later today. :rolleyes:

So we'll see how fruitful the call to Allstate is later today.

Any updates, GM?

Very sorry that happened to your Sky..... But, glad that nobody was hurt seriously....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

No, not much has changed.

A call to the Police Records for the report was disappointing - still not ready as of 2:30 PM Friday. I really need that report finished & issued so that I can prove to Allstate that it was their insured's fault.

A call to Allstate Friday was also not helpful. It seems as if the adjuster is on vacation for three weeks, but anyone in her division can "help me out". Well, this one lady I spoke to was more involved with saying "goodbye & have a great weekend" to everyone leaving her office than helping me. She kept saying "my computer is slow", but I heard her trying to cover the phone with her hand and saying goodbye to everyone leaving. She couldn't get the name of the repair shop I need to take the SKY to so they can have their own estimate done, so she takes my cell # and says she'll call me back. I leave to pickup my 15-month old son and she never calls back! The office is not far from where I live, and the police station is right around the corner from them. So hopefully on Monday the report is ready and I think I'll stop by to see them in person.

I am taking it to the Saturn dealership on Tuesday afternoon so that I can get an estimate from the body shop that I will be using for the repairs. My insurance company sent their inspection agent out Friday morning, so I know that they are atleast doing their part. I'm about 75% ready to find the $500 (wife said no touching the savings account - Thanksgiving dinner & Christmas shopping come first) and just go through my own insurance company to get the car fixed. I'd much rather stick it to this girl's policy and make her pay - rental and all - but if Allstate keeps up their crap, I'll have no choice but to go through my own insurance comapny.

I just want the damn car fixed - I'm tired of seeing it parking in my garage all banged up. :angry:

Here's some more pictures, taken outside when the sun finally came out last week:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That straight, diagonal line integrated with the rippled, black dent in your door from her tire looks like the impact beam. I'd say your SKY needs a door shell, not just a skin. Not sure if that color can be panel-painted for match, they may need to blend into the fender and hood for a perfect paint match. Not sure which company you have, but Allstate would not let us write to blend on the initial estimate, we would need to try to match it first. They allow us to blend only on a supplement.

Also, as you know, an estimate is only an estimate. It does not mean you are signing off on anything. The final bill will most likely differ from the original estimate.

I'd much rather stick it to this girl's policy and make her pay - rental and all - but if Allstate keeps up their crap, I'll have no choice but to go through my own insurance comapny.

I just want the damn car fixed - I'm tired of seeing it parking in my garage all banged up.

I can certainly understand that, but I hope you hold out a bit longer ... to have the girl's policy pay.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a small update...

I dropped the SKY off to the dealership Wednesday afternoon and it was going to be flatbed trucked to the body shop Thuesday morning. My dealership, and the respective body shop, were unable to give me an esitmate because GM has not issued the 2007 labor rates (or so they told me). Basically they were going to work with the amount my insurance company came up with. I received their esitmate in the mail Monday and faxed it to the dealership Tuesday. The good thing doing that is that Tuesday the Service Manager went to the Parts Dept and ordered everything I needed. They figure 2-3 weeks and I should have it back, "better than new" they say. I would really like it back for Dec. 23 (my bday), as I planned a nice little get-away for a few hours with it prior to the accident.

Ocn, do you have a fax # you could give me so I can send you the esitmate? I'd like a short explanation of what they're going to do to my "baby". The service manager was going to go over it, but my dad was there to pick me up and he kind of rushed me out to beat the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by the dealership last Friday to pickup the new plates for the AURA, so I figured I'd go over to the Servcice Dept for an update on the SKY's repair. The service writer told me that he was in touch with the body shop two days earlier because they are having a problem ordering a new left quarter panel - Saturn had denied the request! A couple of faxes and some phone calls by the dealership to Saturn parts didn't produce anything by Friday, so a direct call to Saturn Corp. was supposed to be made today. I doubt I'll see the car by the end of this week (which would be the 2-week timeframe they originally quoted me), so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll have back late next week, just in time for my birthday on the 23rd.

On the positive side, they have not found any additional damage that would require a supplement (at least not yet). I specifically asked about unseen damage beyond the quarter panel (around the area where the fuel filler door is) and was told as far as they know, there was nothing damaged that wasn't quoted by my insurance company. So I'll be contining to pray that it will be a quick and accurate repair once all the parts come in.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

That sucks!

But there's definitely a C&G Curse thing going on! 2 weeks ago I had to stop because a car in front of me spun. Next thing I know I hear this slipping on wet pavement noise and an old Astra hits my car.

Only minor damage and no one got hurt, thank God, but I'm still waiting for the insurance company's OK to perform the repair job.

Well, a call to the dealership yesterday met with some good news - they got Saturn to send a new quarter panel directly to the body shop. The service writer stated that the car should be ready by mid-week next week; he'll call me Tuesday (19th) with an update. It looks as if my goal to have it back by my birthday (23rd) may just work out.

Bad news is that when I get home, there's a letter from Allstate (insurance company of the girl that hit me) stating "an investigation of the loss is still continuing" - umm, my car is almost repaired, my insurance comapny already sent me the payment, and they're still "investigating" the accident? The police report was pretty cut-and-dry on the fact that it was her fault. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to get her back... it's been weird not seeing her inside of the garage for the last two weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to keep bringing this back up without any good news, but now I'm getting a little ticked off. I leave a message with the service dept on the 21st.... get a call back on the 26th from someone different at the dealership saying the regular guy is off this week and that they wanted to return my call and let me know that the car should be back by the end of the week. No call by Thursday afternoon, so I call and get the service manager's voicemail since he's busy. I leave a pretty serious message saying how I was told my car would be ready by Friday and I wanted to know what time I could pick it up and to please call me back. He never called me back! So now my car has been gone an entire month (originally dropped off on Nov 29) and I don't know when I'll be getting it back. The earliest I can find out is Tuesday the 2nd. :censored::banghead::angry:

That's rude, maybe the tech working on the car is on vacation. Or maybe he quit or got fired (not particularly over your car, I'm just saying). All sorts of things can happen behind the scenes at a bodyshop, believe me. Still, they could have called you back. No excuses here, but I have forgotten to call back a customer or two over my (soon to be) 14 year bodyshop career, if the day gets crazy and fires have to be extinguished.

"Keeping the customer informed" is, time and time again, one of the most important aspects in customer satisfaction for us. I totally understand that "not knowing" is nerve wracking. Hang in there, I'm sure they don't want to keep your car from you, as they most likely won't get paid until the end of the job.

Aye, GMT ... very sorry about your experience. I can only imagine the frustration/anger you feel :(.

Sure hope you find out and get it back soon!

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The story is between the lines" ... Dave & Sugar ... 'Golden Tears'

Don't worry ocnblu, I read it as how you meant it. Yes, the regular service writer was on vacation last week; but he is the one that also told me that the car would be ready by the 22nd and would be calling me on Wednesday with details (no call Wednesday, left him a voicemail Thursday evening - never called me back befoire leaving for vacation). Rather, someone that I don't know named Cory called on the 26th with news that he spoke to Bob Hughes (service manager) and he said the car will be ready for me by the end of the week. No call by Thursday afternoon, so I call around 4:00 and Bob is "busy", so I'm directed to his voicemail. I state what I was told by Cory on Tuesday, that I would like to know when I can get my car tomorrow (Friday 12/29), and to please call me back. He had an opportunity to call before he left that day or at least on Friday before the holiday weekend. Even if the news wasn't what I wanted to hear, at least a call would have been the courteous thing to do. That delaership knows how happy I've been with them, but this is now pushing that envelope. I will make a call on Tuesday, more irrate than I have been to them, to find out what the deal is (I dropped the car off to them on 11/29, the bodyshop retrieved it on 11/30 - one month now!).

Well, you can do that if you want, but to be honest, making an irate phone call won't get you your sweet car back any sooner. I would certainly call and ask what the status is, and remind the guy that he promised to call you last week. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Yes, the guy in the office may have been on vacation, but the body technician actually has his hands on the car, fixing it. He may also have been absent for some reason.

Not that I'm defending anything, but I have worked in 5 bodyshops for 3 different dealerships, and sometimes you have a car like this, it seems to stick in the shop forever for some reason or another... backordered parts, absent personnel, extra damage found late in the process... please, ultimately judge them on the finished product more than the time involved in getting it repaired.

Edited by ocnblu

Well ocnblu, you'll be happy to know that: (1) last night I decided not to make an irrate call, rather I'd wait until afternoon and call to get an update; (2) I didn't have to bother making a call because at 7:45 AM the Service Manager called my cell & left a voicemail (can't take calls when I'm teaching class) to let me know that he was on vacation last week and was sorry that I received the call that I got and that my car was returned from the bodyshop Friday. So the good news is that my car is 98% finished and will be ready VERY soon for me to pick it up. The bad news is that GM/Saturn Parts sent the wrong rim (either painted or polished, not chromed) in the correct box. They recognized this Friday and ordered the correct rim to be overnighted. He is hoping it arrives today so they can mount the new tire onto the rim, balance the tire and adjust the rear suspension. Then my car will be ready for me to pickup. He stated he'd call either way this afternoon with an update. I have some work to get done before my day ends at 3:00, so if I don't hear from him by then I'll call on my way home. Thanks for being the "voice of reason"! :thumbsup:

wrong part, right box....Boy haven't I ever had that one happen to me before. It sucks when you're a parts guy and you're staring at the box, triple checking to see if the part number right when the customer has the old one in hand and they don't look the same. Anyway, hope that she comes back better than new. I really hate that the curse struck you, but at least its being resolved.

:nono: The saga continues... :nono:

I get a call from the Service Manager Thursday afternoon (1/4) that my SKY is ready to go (they had a second dilemma with the rim <same as last time - wrong rim in the right box> but found the correct one at a nearby Saturn dealer and picked it up from them). I tell him that Saturday would be the earliest I could get there, he said "fine, I'll keep it parked inside so no one hits it out on the lot". I ask how it looks and he said "just like new". I got a funny feeling right then. :scratchchin:

Saturday arrives and we go to pickup the car around 11:00 AM. I get there and it's sitting all pretty (no more damage :thumbsup: ) in the inside service customer area. My salesman comes out, greets us and walks with us over to the car. The wife and I then proceed to check over the work and find eight, that's right, eight things that aren't right with the car. They are as follows:

1. Left rear bumper (two big scratches from the girl's MC) - appraisal states bumper to be repainted & blended; they didn't do this and the two scratches were clearly visible.

2. Driver's side rear inner fender liner - new one that was installed was cracked and sticking out - VERY noticable.

3. Driver's front fender not aligned and sticking out - VERY noticable.

4. New weather stripping applied on top of the new quarter panel not secured and a big gap is very noticable - will probably cause leaks inside of the trunk.

5. Small scratch with red paint directly in the middle of the rear bumper.

6. Right rear bumper where the bumper cover meets the quarter panel at the rear of the wheel had paint damage and possibly more (wife saw this and complained about this).

7. Passenger's side rear inner fender liner - not properly reattached (I guess they removed the entire rear bumper to replace the driver's side rear quarter panel).

8. Factory-installed stickers (3 of them) missing - I specifically asked the service manager when I dropped the car off if new ones would be installed and was told YES - none of the three were there (the tire inflation guide, the sticker that includes the date the car was built, and some other factory sticker).

I also noticed that the weatherstripping along the trunk lid edge was sticking way out and I have checked for this in the past and never noticed it. Don't know if it's a result of the bodywork done, but they'll check this out.

All of this made me very mad. They had the car for over a month and came highly recommended. I could see one or two minor things that the dealer could fix, but now the car has to go back to the body shop. So who knows when it will be done now? The Service Manager is supposed to call me later this afternoon after speaking to the bodyshop. I'm pissed to say the very least. :banghead:

On a positive note, it was nice to see my car without the horrible body damage. Paint seems to blend nicely and the replaced body panels seem to fit correctly. It's the minor details that annoy me here. $4200 worth of work and this is how my car is returned to me??? <_<

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Ack, what a list. I hope they get everything done for you. Sounds like it was not properly QCd before you went to pick it up. Sometimes we have a thing or two that needs taken care of. I almost always agree with the customer once I see what they're talking about. Even with all our eyes on the vehicle all through the process, something can get through to delivery. Sometimes though... wow, unreasonable doesn't seem an adequate word to describe some customers.

I have to let you know, it may be impossible to replace some of those door jamb stickers, especially the one with the VIN and the build date. Double check me on that, but we can never get them that I know of. Our body techs usually cut them out of the door or quarter jamb with an air chisel, dress the edges, and put them in the glovebox for this reason. They cannot be peeled from the old panel and stuck to the new one.

Edited by ocnblu

Aye, GMT ... you definitely deserve better. Very sorry you found so many problems when you went to pick it up ... after you were told it "looked new". Heh....that's a bit scary, imho.

Good luck ... and try to remain as calm as possible when dealing with them.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"All of the chaos makes perfect sense" ... Joe Diffie ... 'Third Rock From The Sun'

I have to let you know, it may be impossible to replace some of those door jamb stickers, especially the one with the VIN and the build date. Double check me on that, but we can never get them that I know of. Our body techs usually cut them out of the door or quarter jamb with an air chisel, dress the edges, and put them in the glovebox for this reason. They cannot be peeled from the old panel and stuck to the new one.

Man, that would tick me off. Has to be a way.