Motor Trend 2007 SUV of the Year

mystik

Don't know if any of you have picked up the latest issue of Motor Trend with the SUV of the year honors in it, but its kinda funny. They do give props to the Suburban, Tahoe, Escalade, and pretty much rave about the Denali. One line struck me as funny though. At the end of the Suburban review they say "But strong value and superiority ratings couldnt quite counteract what we see as a shrinking market significance for these leviathans." Okie dokie. So who gets the SUV of the year then, if a large SUV's market seems to be diminishing so rapidly? None other than the tiny...Mercedes GL450. Hmm. This thing gets worse gas mileage than a Suburban, will have a much smaller footprint in the American market, yet it gets the nod? Im confused. Summed up it says "Yeah the Suburban is great...but its still GM so no."

The Auto Extremist summed it up a few weeks ago on his site, also complaining about the MB pick. It's all who can push the hardest (re: $$$) to get their manufacturer's car to be picked, not on real merits.

Peter Delorenzo (The Auto Extremist) worked for Chrysler when they wanted to get the Lancer to be COTY. After spending a lot of time and money, lo-and-behold, the Lancer was COTY.

The big question now is:

Is Toyota eligible for Truck of the Year with the Tundra, since it was pushed back and won't be available until next year (There was a clause in MT that said the vehicle had to be available Jan 1 of the new model year). Will MT overlook that little detail to get the Tundra on the cover?

And will MT overlook the significance of GM's million-selling vastly improved pickups for Toyota's third try, which will break a sweat selling 150,000 - 200,000 units? Toyota's the one with Billions to throw around, so my bet is that the Tundra will be MT Truck of the Year for 2007.

Ok, which is it? There are many pundits who will point to GM's declining market share and Toyota's apparent juggernaut status as proof that Toyota is better.

So, by that measurment, the Tundra is a huge flop because - as is pointed out above, this is their THIRD attempt at the market and after 12 years they have barely put a dent in the market, yet each new product unveiling from Toyota is greeted as the Second Coming.

I know I am sick of it.

Hey dont let it get to you, there is the still the truck of the year, in which I belive it was 02 in which a Silverado HD took the prize, (I also think a GMT-360 took a prize too) so if in 02 the Silverado, being out since 99 can take the prize im sure the new one can especially with this new Tundra that is just ubelievable horrible as its competition.

I'm getting tired of reading the dumb comments here about the GL450 being chosen. Yeah, the new GM's are a terrific improvement over the well-liked trucks before them, but they aren't perfect. The Fords are also another nice improvement, but nothing groundbreaking.

The MB, while maybe not the most exciting for some, has better build quality, refinement, space usage, and features that most large ute's out there, and the sticker really is in the same ball park as a lot of loaded up Chevys, GMCs, Fords, etc.

And it isn't small either. A new GL parked next to me at the grocery store today, and not only was I actually impressed by the look in person, but it was clearly larger than the typical stunted looking Tahoe and a more comfortable "medium" like an Expedition or something. Add that in with a level of bodywork, finish, details, trim, etc. that is about the best in the business, and I understand why it was chosen.

As for what may be chosen as truck of the year, I wonder about that one. The new GM trucks are terrific improvements over the past gen and generally wonderful, but the fact that the new Tundra will also be out shortly and is MUCH different and improved in every way over the old one just might make it a close call. We'll see how that one goes, but I can't predict it yet, at least not until there are more in-depth reviews out of the Toyota or the GM's.

The Auto Extremist summed it up a few weeks ago on his site, also complaining about the MB pick.  It's all who can push the hardest (re: $$$) to get their manufacturer's car to be picked, not on real merits.

Peter Delorenzo (The Auto Extremist) worked for Chrysler when they wanted to get the Lancer to be COTY.  After spending a lot of time and money, lo-and-behold, the Lancer was COTY.

The big question now is:

Is Toyota eligible for Truck of the Year with the Tundra, since it was pushed back and won't be available until next year (There was a clause in MT that said the vehicle had to be available Jan 1 of the new model year).  Will MT overlook that little detail to get the Tundra on the cover?

And will MT overlook the significance of GM's million-selling vastly improved pickups for Toyota's third try, which will break a sweat selling 150,000 - 200,000 units?  Toyota's the one with Billions to throw around, so my bet is that the Tundra will be MT Truck of the Year for 2007.

214503[/snapback]

if you read the FJ Cruiser article... it said last year it would have got truck of the year... but because it was delayed... it wasnt elegable... now... it says it doesnt win because there are newer better products out there