2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R debuts @ LA

Flybrian

For AutoBlog's educated speculation about powertrain details, click the link below...

Link to Full Article @ AutoBlog

PRESS RELEASE

2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R to Debut at L.A. Auto Show

NASHVILLE (Nov. 3. 2006) – Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today announced that it will introduce two exciting new performance vehicles at the Los Angeles Auto Show, November 29th, at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

All-new for 2007, the Nissan Sentra will once again have SE-R high performance models; both SE-R and SE-R Spec V. As a pioneer model in the field of sport compact cars, the 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R offers more power, performance and technology to this highly acclaimed model. The SE-R Spec V model will be powered by a specifically designed high-output version of Nissan's 2.5-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine. Additional information on the SE-R with be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 29th.

Nissan will also showcase another uniquely styled, exhilarating performance-oriented vehicle, which marks Nissan's entry into a previously untapped customer segment. Details on the second world debut vehicle are being withheld until Nissan's press conference on November 29 at 10:00AM PST.

In addition, Nissan will participate in the 2006 Hybrids and Green Cars/LA event that takes place during the media days portion of the Los Angeles Auto Show on Wednesday, November 29 and Thursday, November 30. This event will allow attendees an opportunity to drive many advanced technology vehicles from various manufacturers.

Nissan will showcase three products at this ride and drive, including the 2007 Altima Hybrid, the X-Trail Fuel Cell Vehicle and the 2007 Armada Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV).

Well then, I was giving Nissan benefit of the doubt, since we don't know enough about the new small SUV to call BS on this "untapped market niche" crap. An Altima coupe is certainly not a new niche. I guess those are the only two new products coming soon from the Nissan division, so if it's not the SUV, you've gotta be right.

Well then, I was giving Nissan benefit of the doubt, since we don't know enough about the new small SUV to call BS on this "untapped market niche" crap.  An Altima coupe is certainly not a new niche.  I guess those are the only two new products coming soon from the Nissan division, so if it's not the SUV, you've gotta be right.

213500[/snapback]

I think they meant that to mean it was a segment that Nissan hadn't competed in until now. I don't recall any Accord/Camry coupe competitors from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Autoblog has a pic of the Sentra SE-R uncovered:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/27/nissan-...ad-of-l-a-show/

220797[/snapback]

Wait... it says it has 17" wheels... didn't the last SE-R have 18's? Why go down?

IMO, the Sentra and Versa are overpriced for the segment. I saw a loaded Versa for $18k MSRP, and the Sentras were all in the $18k range on the local lot. And they're being marked down already. This SE-R, I fear, will be similarly overpriced.

From Foreign Car & Import Driver:

As with each generation of SE-R before them, the all-new versions present only subtle clues to their performance bent, including unique front and rear fascias, clear taillights, fog lights, and cool 10-spoke wheels. The SE-R mods take to the new-generation Sentra’s simple, geometric surfaces quite naturally, though unless it is ordered in an obnoxiously bright paint color, the overall look is, shall we say, “street-cred-challenged.” Then again, we expect few new SE-Rs to remain stock once they’re in the hands of the enthusiasts that have helped the SE-R achieve iconic status since its humble beginnings in 1991.

Since when has the SE-R had an "iconic staus"?!?!?!?! Around here they are trailer park queens.

Inside, drivers will face a unique gauge cluster with a g-meter and an oil pressure meter missing on standard Sentras while sitting in sport bucket seats with red stitching. Spec V models will get red seat belts to match.

So, red accents in the G6 GXP show car were "redneck" and "batmobile tacky" yet they're somewhat acceptable and even applauded in the new SE-R Spec-whatever?

Since when has the SE-R had an "iconic staus"?!?!?!?! Around here they are trailer park queens.

223662[/snapback]

The first generation (B13) certainly did (still does). The one that followed (B14) was/is not nearly as respected and the previous generation (B15) garnered somewhat more respect preformance-wise than the B14 but some still think the B13 is better in some dynamic respects.

The 1991-1994 B13 SE-R was a very competitive sport compact in its day (140hp, LSD, fully independent suspension, four-wheel disc brakes). Sadly, many have been neglected over the years.