Oh My...

Cory Wolfe

As many of you may know, I've been on antidepressants since March, Lexapro to be exact.

They did their job, getting my out of my depression, for good news. Otherwise, the side effects were unbelievable. Weight gain from appetite increase... Problems with excessive yawning... Inability to orgasm during any form of sex... and Sleepiness and Insomnia both. Because of these, I've had a desire to stop taking them. Considering that I was in a "rut of life sucking" when I was depressed and was put on these, I figured it's about time to get off them. Life for me has changed so much since March and most of the reasons why I was depressed in the first place have disappeared. I really don't want to be on drugs like I am and certainly don't want to have to deal with the side effects any further.

Well, as of Thursday, I stopped taking them in hopes to finally rid myself of the side effects. The first few days were good. That is... until yesterday, Sunday. Unbearable headaches, dizziness, and this really weird sensation of going out of consciousness and instantly recovering. Headache medicines have been completely ineffective. So, in thinking something is f@#ked up... I've been searching around desperately for answers. Well, I came across of drug forum with a 154 page long thread about Lexapro Withdrawal. Reading through it and seeing people complain of the same things I am, I realize I'm not crazy. For some people, these symptoms never go away.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7826

My final thought is that I cannot believe this drug is even allowed to on the market after all this. Not only am I suffering... I'm quite pissed off at my doctor and my therapist. I mean, I was never even warned of any side effects, let alone withdrawal effects. This... This is just wrong... Unbelievably wrong.

This sucks. :(

$h!...Lexapro? I was on the same stuff...Didn't do much for me really...or maybe it did, I dunno. I do remember I was taking Lexapro during my first drunken experience (bad news...I totally forgot). Half a bottle of vodka and 3 cigars later and I was pretty much numb...got sick quite a bit too. But that's another story.

I dropped the Lexapro cold turkey (which wasn't such a good idea either), and I experienced the same stuff. I actually went back on a smaller dosage to keep the withdrawl symptoms from messing with me...Eventually I got over it (didn't take too long), but I remember how much it sucked taking this medication that didn't do jack, then dropping it and having withdrawl symptoms...it was bull$h!.

Jesus, taking any medication and stopping cold turkey never has good results.

You should've talked to a doctor before even doing that, especially with medication that directly affects your brain or specifically targets your brain and its secretions.

Guess you figured that out by now...

I know, but I've read from that site that weaning off of it still has the same withdrawl symptoms. Talking to the doctor that prescibed this in the first place would be useless. I'm trusting what's on the website I went to for my information. But yeah... being that Lexapro definitely isn't cheap, further dealing with the side effects isn't something I'd want to do, that I hate being on drugs, and that I'd still have to deal with withdrawl... It's not worth it to wean off them.

With these symptoms, I would tell the doctor you want to stop taking them and ask him to come up with a plan to bring you down off the drug safely. For your long term health, it's important to tell the doctor what's happening, or at the very least, the pharmacist.

Ocn... I've read of no possible way to get off it safetly on the Drug forum I linked to. And quite frankly, I don't trust my doctor anyways. My therapist, however, I do. I am going to talk to him about it. Still, I'm already off it and not getting back on it. Tonight's jack off session sealed the deal. :P

So far, I've read that drinking lots of water, getting lots of rest, and doing physical activity will help with the withdrawl symptoms. Three things I've neglected in my life. For the sake of being able to think clearly... it's time I ought to change that.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help Ocn and caring, but I'm not looking for advice. :)

NEVER stop taking anti-depressants cold turkey! From doing that twice in my life, I've experienced things like nausea, dizziness, ringing in my ears, popping sounds, forgetfulness, disturbed sleep, and the list keeps going on and on. It's dangerous for your body to do that... it gets accustomed to a specific chemical and then when it's suddenly not there, it almost "panics" and has trouble suddenly coping without it.

Never, ever, ever quit a drug cold turkey, even caffeine. Your body becomes used to it being present and gradually begins to believe that it's normal for the drug to be there. Weaning off is usually a safer approach.

However, since you've already stopped the drug, I'm not sure I recommend going back on it. Fight through the symptoms, they will go away after a while. My mother quit smoking 16 years ago...cold turkey. She was basically unbearable for the first few weeks, but after that it was like she never quit.

Vipes, I could go on a long rant about how drug companies have this country by the short hairs, but I'll spare you. Instead, I'll just say this: ALL drugs have side effects. They are designed in a laboratory using chemicals that are not produced by the human body. The body can have an adverse reaction to anything that is foreign to it. What kind of reaction you get depends on your body chemistry. The other thing about drugs is that they treat symptoms without necessarily curing the problem. Think of it as putting black tape over your Service Engine Soon light. The problem is still there, but you don't see, hear, smell, taste, or feel it anymore. Once the withdrawal symptoms wear off, there may or may not still be an issue that's causing your depression. I think I've said this before, that depression is as much a physical condition as it is a mental condition. Try taking care of the physical side through nutrition and exercise, and your body should begin producing the "feel good" hormones on its own. Who knows, maybe the mental aspect of it could stop bothering you as much.

Rest yourself a lot through this, as you may get sick since you have worn down your body physically. I used to get a cold immediately after doing this. Had I known what exactly what I was doing, I would have never done it.

Oh, and you say you're taking the advice of the drug's website? If my university's economics and business courses taught me anything, it's... um... oh...ahhhh...

...The fact that the company would rather you keep taking the drugs instead of going off them. Who wants to lose a customer?

The site is likely geared to subliminally make it sound bad for you to stop. I'm serious. Just the wording they use can alter your ideas about quitting.

I'd stop reading their website and get to your doctor or therapist about withdrawing. They can likely help you to change your diet and give you physical exercises that may help compensate for the lack of whatever chemical the drug provided you.

on the off chance you might take it....

195417[/snapback]

No... If I wanted advice, I would have asked for it. I've gotten all the advice I need off that forum.

Oh, and you say you're taking the advice of the drug's website? If my university's economics and business courses taught me anything, it's... um... oh...ahhhh...

...The fact that the company would rather you keep taking the drugs instead of going off them. Who wants to lose a customer?

The site is likely geared to subliminally make it sound bad for you to stop. I'm serious. Just the wording they use can alter your ideas about quitting.

I'd stop reading their website and get to your doctor or therapist about withdrawing. They can likely help you to change your diet and give you physical exercises that may help compensate for the lack of whatever chemical the drug provided you.

195425[/snapback]

It's not Lexapro's website. Click on it. It's why I included the link. It's a forum about drugs.

And again, I'm taking the advice of people who've taken Lexapro and got off it both with weaning and doing it cold turkey. Weaning only means I'd have to keep buying and taking it, keep dealing with the side effects, still have to deal with withdrawl, and just make the process last longer. That is, according to those that have dealt with it themselves. So I'm taking my chances. :P

And again, I'm taking the advice of people who've taken Lexapro and got off it both with weaning and doing it cold turkey. Weaning only means I'd have to keep buying and taking it, keep dealing with the side effects, still have to deal with withdrawl, and just make the process last longer. That is, according to those that have dealt with it themselves. So I'm taking my chances. :P

195498[/snapback]

The problem with quitting anti-depressants suddenly is that it can lead to suicidal tendancies.....

considering the "I Hate Life" post on Myspace the other day, I don't think our worry is unjustified.

I am going to school to be a pharmacist and work in a pharmacy in my free time, and I would just like to let anyone reading this know that your pharmacist always has your best interests in mind. Whenever you are given a drug that you have not taken before, you are given information on what the side effects of the drug are, whether it is in the box, on the bottle, or on a piece of paper the pharmacist prints off for you. If you ever have any specific questions about the drug, don't be afriad to ask your pharmacist. He or she can answer all your questions, and it is never a good idea to go off any serious drug cold turkey. It is your choice of whether or not you are going to keep on taking a drug or not, but it is always a good idea to talk with your pharmacist about what kind of side affects you may encounter when going off of a drug. They can let you know if there is a better way of getting off of the drug. BV, I'm not giving you advice even though it sounds like it. You can do whatever your heart desires, but I just thought I'd through this out there for anyone to read.

blackviper who??

But really man good luck if you stay meesed up you might want to go to a doctor. or if its possible take the medicine in smaller doses like if possible cut the pills in half or every other day to get your body used to not relieing on them.

An update... Still suffering from withdrawl. This headache just doesnt want to go away. It's still early, so I don't expect it stop for another week or two. I've done more reading on it and biodentical progestorone creme with any paraben might help. As well as this stuff call Royal Maca available at www.wholeworldbotanicals.com. I haven't looked either of those up, specifically yet, however.