Chevrolet Equinox - Updated Look

HarleyEarl

Posted Image

Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell Revealed

Text & Photos edited by Clinton Deacon

Source: General Motors

09-18-2006

Chevrolet To Launch World's Largest Fuel Cell Vehicle Fleet

More Than 100 to Debut in 2007 in First Meaningful Market Test of Fuel Cell Vehicles

General Motors committed to building the world’s largest fuel cell vehicle fleet today by announcing its next-generation fuel cell vehicle – the Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell.

GM will build more than 100 Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles and will begin placing them with customers in the fall of 2007, as part of a comprehensive deployment plan dubbed “Project Driveway." Designed to gain comprehensive learnings on all aspects of the customer experience, Project Driveway constitutes the first meaningful market test of fuel cell vehicles anywhere. A variety of drivers – in differing driving environments – will operate these vehicles and refuel with hydrogen in three geographic areas: California, the New York metropolitan area and Washington D.C.

“General Motors is demonstrating its commitment to hydrogen fuel cells as the answer for taking the automobile out of the environmental debate and reducing our dependence on petroleum," said Larry Burns, GM vice president, research & development and strategic planning. “The Equinox Fuel Cell is powered by GM’s most advanced fuel cell propulsion system to date, and demonstrates an important milestone on our pathway to automotive-competitive fuel cell propulsion technology development."

Enabled by GM’s fourth-generation fuel cell propulsion system, the Equinox Fuel Cell is a fully-functional crossover vehicle, engineered for 50,000 miles of life. Importantly, the Equinox Fuel Cell is able to start and operate in sub-freezing temperatures during its 50,000-mile life. It is expected to meet all applicable 2007 U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and is equipped with a long list of standard safety features including driver and passenger frontal air bags and roof rail side-impact air bags; anti-lock braking system (ABS); StabiliTrak stability enhancement technology and OnStar, while providing all of the environmental benefits of hydrogen fuel cell technology.

"The Equinox Fuel Cell is a real-world vehicle with real-world performance," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The fuel cell technology is seamlessly integrated into a uniquely styled crossover vehicle that is distinctively Chevrolet. The Equinox Fuel Cell joins Chevrolet’s family of advanced gas-saving and alternative fuel vehicles."

The Project Driveway market test will provide comprehensive insight into all aspects of the customer experience, including reaction to the exciting, smooth and quiet performance of a fuel cell vehicle, and refueling with clean hydrogen gas. “These learnings will directly influence future fuel cell vehicle generations and ultimate market acceptance," Peper said. "With Chevrolet being GM’s global volume brand, it makes sense that Chevy will lead GM’s fuel cell vehicle commercialization charge."

Not everyone lives in NYC, DC, or LA.... I wish these would be made available to more than just urbanites.  Yes, I live in Pittsburgh, but other than downtown, it's very suburban.

194872[/snapback]

I'm thinking this is limited by the availability of fuel cell refueling locations, and if you're going to limit it to three locales, choose the largest city (NYC), a city with the infrastructure (LA), and the city where you can lobby the hell out of it (D.C.).

I expect this kind of vehicle has one of the same problems as the EV1... it's so quiet that the driver starts hearing all the other squeeks & rattles that were previously covered up by even the most quiet engine. Fuel cell vehicles, if they happen (I hope so) will make todays standards of "fit and finish" look cheap and petty... lol

100 is the largest fleet? I mean, it's a good start, but c'mon! And 50Kmi isn't exactly confidence inspiring, though understandable for a test product, I guess. 'course if it's like most GM product, what it's engineered to do and what it does are 2 different things, and it'll keep on chugging. :)

Ohhh, joy! It looks just like the Torrent with a Chevy grille :rolleyes:

To me, further proof the Torrent is, Pontiac badges and grille aside, what the Equinox should have been...

The fuel cell idea and the whole promoting different propulsion methods is good. The market (i.e., consumers) will make the final decision when the time comes.

The grille is too long in the tooth and the headlights have to go. I hate the way they come to points on the sides. Looks horrible. I still prefer the grille to the current chrome bar mustache.

Who cares what it looks like, I don't think all of them are going to look like that, and as bowtie dude said, the people who are driving them aren't going to care anyways. The important part here is that GM is moving forward in fuel cell technologies, and looks to have a leg up on most competitors.

I think this design change is a huge improvement on the current one.  Never liked those oddball headlights with the chrome bar part way in.  This is the way it should have been from the beginning.

195129[/snapback]

Absolutely! :thumbsup: I think the new look is fantastic.

Who cares what it looks like, I don't think all of them are going to look like that, and as bowtie dude said, the people who are driving them aren't going to care anyways. The important part here is that GM is moving forward in fuel cell technologies, and looks to have a leg up on most competitors.

195070[/snapback]

No doubt guys who cares what it looks like..its about the technolgy inside. They obvioulsy just slap some Parts from other cars on the extrerior. But whats exciting is this commentment to hydrogen, trying to leep from the competion...I wonder when Hydrogen stations will stop popping up? 2012?

Edited by illustcat

I tend to be a gasoline purist and would never consider anything else, but I am gradually coming around to this hydrogen thing. I would consider this vehicle. I can't believe I'm saying that.

This vehicle doesn't have that 'tree hugger' stigma to me...and the style has a nice assertiveness about it. Not all whimpy like the Prius.

The only concern I have is the 50,000 mile life of the thing. What does this mean exactly? Anyone know?

Edited by HarleyEarl

The only concern I have is the 50,000 mile life of the thing.  What does this mean exactly?  Anyone know?

195446[/snapback]

I'd think it means they only mean for them to run that long, since they're more for R&D purposes (well, and some marketing... :)) than anything. Not a final product.

It wouldnt' suprise me if the first fuel cell vehicles from GM (if they're the first to market) are only leased, like they did with the EV1. Really, it's a wise move to keep from having a potentially one-off hugely unique product bog you down with years of support issues.